BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I see you are in Canada, certainly, your wife may not like driving this beast in the winter time, even with winter tires. Although if you are living in a metropolitan city, the snow plowing would be done rather quickly and the M5 is still good but tricky to drive up to around 25cm, with winter tires. Anymore snow, your wife should park it.

If your local roads have lots of potholes and bumpy roads, M5 in comfort mode still rides harsh and on a long term basis, your wife will probably hate the car. I owned the car for just less than 2 yrs and I am in Toronto, certainly, one of the reason I got out of the M5 is the harsh ride. The other issue I had with mine was the oil burning, I go thru 1 litre for every 800-1000km of mileage. However, my dealer told me the oil burning rate is within the factory tolerance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #24
hori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT, F10 M5

don`t have to worry about winter as I have 4x4 truck and jeep so my sport cars are put away for the winter thankfully.

going to check the car out next couple days.

The oil burning sounds excessive? considering some do some dont????
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #25
hori
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Okay, I think I can answer your questions and give you some insight on this one. I previously had a 2011 M3 Competition Package. During that time I was a freelance auto journalist and went to Miller Motorsport Park to do the 2 Day Boss 302 Driving school for an article I was writing. Spent a day on the track in the 302 and the 2nd day on the track in their full race prepped 500FRS.
lucky you, I never got to track my boss but seen few destroy and humble M3 and vettes owners

thanks for info
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #26
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

That's good you have a winter car.

True. Some do's and some don'ts have the oil burning issue. But then, when you are checking this cpo out, how do you know this car has an issue or not. The service record will have no indication and record of this at all. For me, I go to my dealer for free topup (as written into my purchase agreement) about 2x a month and dealer knows me by heart everytime I pulled into their service bay entrance.

Also, the other annoying issue with the M5 is the squeaky brakes, as you may have already known in this forum as one of the main complaint here.

The car is probably worth around $62-65K at absolute most. If dealer is asking at $70K, then certainly, it's too much for a 3+yr old car and you will have lots of bargaining room around. Typically, in Canada, the dealer initially markup will be around 30% of what they paid. Thus, meaning, dealer probably paid around $55K for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hori View Post
don`t have to worry about winter as I have 4x4 truck and jeep so my sport cars are put away for the winter thankfully.

going to check the car out next couple days.

The oil burning sounds excessive? considering some do some dont????

Last edited by bobblehead; 05-21-2015 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #27
hori
Private
Rep

thanks, did yours have the standard seats bobblehead?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Yup. No exec. package at all. Base. Mine was MY2013. Reason getting the base was: Changing car very frequently and don't see any added value for extra $10,000 Cdn in the exec. package (IMO)

22 months of actual ownership.

Fact: when new, got 3.5% off MSRP $101,000
Traded in summer 2014: dealer gave me 70% of MSRP. $70,000
3 months later: BMW dealer listed at $89,000. Sat unsold for 9 months and never adjusted the price until the listing was recently gone. Not sure what the sold price was. Funny thing was I think I saw my car on the street this past weekend, roaming around as I was following it.

Quote:
thanks, did yours have the standard seats bobblehead?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #29
hori
Private
Rep

was the seat comfortable, did you ever miss not having the multi M seat?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
was the seat comfortable, did you ever miss not having the multi M seat?

If I compared my ordinary seat to the 'better' exec. seat (as I had sat in one), I would say it's a bit softer and elegant, honestly. I guess it's each to his own on what you want in a car. To me, I don't really care the seats as I don't live in the car ... LOL.

Good luck on the test drive and hope you will become a M5 owner. One of the major mechanical component to inspect is the brakes, you certainly do not want to pay this almost right away after having negotiated for the car. The replacement of these bad boys can run into $2500+ at the dealer, as for passing any safety in your home province, the car may just need enough brake pads left on it to pass. Either you insist your car deal comes with 4 brand new replacement brakes & rotors and tires or you simply may choose to walk away.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #31
hori
Private
Rep

what about when looking at CPO when they say everything is ok?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #32
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

don't believe everything the salesman says on being a cpo.

The mechanics simply will do the bare minimum to pass safety as governed by your provincial law. No more, no less.

You will need to look at:
- based on service record, when was the last oil change done. CPO status does not change oil automatically esp when it's not due for one.
- when was the last coolant change, typically, they would be due in about 4 yrs time, meaning, if not done already, the cpo status may or may not change it for you
- when was the last brake fluid flushed and changed, it was supposed to be done every 2 yrs at the min. Again, same comment as above.
- brakes & tires. If those have never been replaced or serviced, they are certainly near to the end of their lifespan. Just these items, $4000+ Cdn easily for new replacement.

CPO may mean peace of mind for some people but dealer will simply looked over the car to ensure no physical damage to body and all the mechanical components are working within safety and slap on the 2 yrs extended warranty on it. By doing this, dealer can easily charge you $5K more, it's basically they want you to pay for the 2 yrs of extended warranty. No such thing as a freebie warranty on M car.

My suggestion is to insert a clause in the proposed deal that you can take the car to your own trusted mechanic to let him check out the entire car, to simply make sure you are getting a 2nd opinion for such a pricey and high maintenance purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #33
hori
Private
Rep

thanks for info, will keep that in mind
the car has 1 year left of original warranty and CPO warranty after that. Are replacing brakes included in original warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #34
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thanks for info, will keep that in mind
the car has 1 year left of original warranty and CPO warranty after that. Are replacing brakes included in original warranty?

Brakes are wear & tear and NOT included in any free maintenance. There is a thread out there which some M5 are getting shims on the brake pads (to lessen the squeaky noise). It goes by VIN # unfortunately. If the car you are interested in is being recalled, then it's new front pads for you, NOT the rotors, mind you.
Appreciate 0