M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Question for Wheel Experts

OK, I've got a question for the wheel experts. Or, any F10 M5 owners who may have done a test fit. I have a set of OEM M6 wheels I use for my winter tire set on my E60 M5. I'm wondering if I can use them on my incoming F10 M5? For reference, the relevant offsets are:

F10 M5
19"
9Jx19 ET32
10Jx19 ET34

20"
9Jx20 ET34
10Jx20 ET34

E63 M6
8.5Jx19 ET12
9.5Jx19 ET17

I'm by no means an expert at wheel fitment, but it seems feasible with spacers (if using such large spacers is advisable). Can anyone provide any advice/feedback? Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
OK, I've got a question for the wheel experts. Or, any F10 M5 owners who may have done a test fit. I have a set of OEM M6 wheels I use for my winter tire set on my E60 M5. I'm wondering if I can use them on my incoming F10 M5? For reference, the relevant offsets are:

F10 M5
19"
9Jx19 ET32
10Jx19 ET34

20"
9Jx20 ET34
10Jx20 ET34

E63 M6
8.5Jx19 ET12
9.5Jx19 ET17

I'm by no means an expert at wheel fitment, but it seems feasible with spacers (if using such large spacers is advisable). Can anyone provide any advice/feedback? Thanks in advance for any help!
Simple answer: They WON'T fit!
Sorry to disappoint you! THe wheels of the new M5 would fit your M6 IF SPACERS used;
A lower offset will result in wider fitment = more outside the car..

Also Do not forget the new 5 series chassis is very very sensitive to changes!

I would sell the current set and look for right winter wheels ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmo View Post

Also Do not forget the new 5 series chassis is very very sensitive to changes!
Why do u say that? Care to share?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

OK, so I did some homework last night. Reletive to the OEM 19" wheels on the F10 M5, if I swapped in my E63 M6 wheels (see widths / offsets in my original post) it would result in the follwoing changes:

Front wheels - 26mm additional interior clearance (inner lip farther from the body) and the outside of the wheels will be 14mm farther out
Rear wheels - 23mm additional interior clearance (inner lip farther from the body) and the outside of the wheels will be 11mm farther out

Based on these results, it seems that the wheels will fit. However, if I take the average of these two numbers as an approximation for the change in the center of mass for the wheel swap, it results in 20mm outward shift on the fronts and 17mm outward shift on the rears. Now I know plenty of people that have run 12mm and 15mm spacers on their E60 M5s with no adverse effects, but what are people's thoughts about pushing the wheels out 17mm to 20mm? Obviously it will impact handeling - but this is for my winter tire set when I will not be pushing the car as hard as I would on the summer wheels. Any thoughts about the additional stress on the suspension components and potential for damage?

Thanks again for any advice, comments or suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
OK, so I did some homework last night. Reletive to the OEM 19" wheels on the F10 M5, if I swapped in my E63 M6 wheels (see widths / offsets in my original post) it would result in the follwoing changes:

Front wheels - 26mm additional interior clearance (inner lip farther from the body) and the outside of the wheels will be 14mm farther out
Rear wheels - 23mm additional interior clearance (inner lip farther from the body) and the outside of the wheels will be 11mm farther out

Based on these results, it seems that the wheels will fit. However, if I take the average of these two numbers as an approximation for the change in the center of mass for the wheel swap, it results in 20mm outward shift on the fronts and 17mm outward shift on the rears. Now I know plenty of people that have run 12mm and 15mm spacers on their E60 M5s with no adverse effects, but what are people's thoughts about pushing the wheels out 17mm to 20mm? Obviously it will impact handeling - but this is for my winter tire set when I will not be pushing the car as hard as I would on the summer wheels. Any thoughts about the additional stress on the suspension components and potential for damage?

Thanks again for any advice, comments or suggestions.
Sorry, I strongly advice NOT to use these wheels; One of my companies is an automotive aftermarket distribution company, we do more than 20000 wheels a year and winter is our specialty; The first speed threshold will sort out in wheels touch the outer side of your bodywork; If you do not mind for that OK .. you can do mount those wheels but than again keep in mind SNOW CHAINS ARE OUT of the question; for that reason most of our manufactures produce wheels with offset values lower than OEM, with high performance cars on the other hand, you have the keep in mind that the X-factor of the rims are more important due to bigger brakes! Therefore imho I wouldn't go for guess work ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Nasmo
/\/\5 F10
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Why do u say that? Care to share?
I do wanna share but explaining this in english is not that simple; I'll try

For current F10 chassis we have noticed (see post above) that we got many phone call from people using BMW wheels with slightly different offsets...
wait recap simply put:

The sharper you can drive = the sharper the chassis is configured, cfr Porsche GTx series etc ..
BMW did a great job with F1x series but is less forgiving for off balanced tires/ wheels.
Also the center'nose' to keep your wheels centered is shorter than previous, ..

Imagine the M5, where the chassis has major upgrades compared to regular F10 .. with the back directly fitted to rear ax (cfr
) it will certainly not be less sensitive ;-)

Result of off balance is the car driving not straight, always searching to go right .. enjoying vibration, although tireshops do have reports of well balanced wheels.
Appreciate 0