M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Dr.Jeff
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘23 AW M8 Comp Gran Coup

Dinan F10 CP M5 Stage 1 Tune

So I pulled the trigger on the Dinan Stage 1 software on my '14 M5 CP and I have to say it the car is now in a different league. The torque and horsepower (695hp/644lb) gains are very very noticeable. It is pretty pricey but having the factory warranty makes a big difference. So how does it drive? The efficient setting now feels like how sport plus felt stock. The tune far exceeded my expectations. In the past I have had 2 M3's CP with dinan software, and this upgrade is the most bang for the buck in my opinion! My hat goes off to Dinan for taking an already insanely fast 4 door car and making it that much better!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
I took my updated Stage 2 out today and ran some quarters. I am going to have to learn how to keep from burning rubber again in MDM because it lays rubber in first and second gear with MDM on. The best 60 foot I had today was 2.1s. Anyway my trap speed was 125mhp on a 12.06s 1/4 and my best quarter was 11.95 with a 2.3s 60ft and 124mph trap. The car is much stronger with the update now. I had my fastest 60-130 of 8.6s today. It's definitely a good tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Thanks for the feedback.

Would you say the car is now difficult to achieve a smooth/non-aggressive setting? For example, anything close to the non-tuned efficient setting. I'm interested in this tune, but don't want my wife complaining that it behaves like a rabid animal. On a similar note, any idea how negative the MPG impact is? Obviously, that's not a major concern with this type of car, but I'm curious.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Would you say the car is now difficult to achieve a smooth/non-aggressive setting? For example, anything close to the non-tuned efficient setting. I'm interested in this tune, but don't want my wife complaining that it behaves like a rabid animal. On a similar note, any idea how negative the MPG impact is? Obviously, that's not a major concern with this type of car, but I'm curious.
Smooth and non-aggressive don't have to be mutually exclusive by any means. We believe the Dinan tune is just as smooth as a stock car. In fact if you were to drive a Dinan tuned car before ever driving one that was legitimately stock we are pretty positive you would think the Dinan tuned version was how the car came from the factory. The fact of the matter is the tune delivers the same fluid power as stock, just more of it. The wife angle is a bit subjective but I know of a few posters on here that have their wives drive the car all the time and they don't seem to mind. Some actually enjoy the extra power even more. Irregardless, a Dinan tuned M5 is not an untamed animal that can't be controlled... unless you want it to be that is.

In regards to fuel economy there is practically no difference in MPG. The problem is that when you know you get extra power you want to use it. So you spend a lot more time mashing the gas and cruising at WOT which WILL negatively impact the fuel economy. Once that initial need to consistently do this goes away and you go back to your normal driving habits you will find the fuel economy is nearly identical to pre-tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Smooth and non-aggressive don't have to be mutually exclusive by any means. We believe the Dinan tune is just as smooth as a stock car. In fact if you were to drive a Dinan tuned car before ever driving one that was legitimately stock we are pretty positive you would think the Dinan tuned version was how the car came from the factory. The fact of the matter is the tune delivers the same fluid power as stock, just more of it. The wife angle is a bit subjective but I know of a few posters on here that have their wives drive the car all the time and they don't seem to mind. Some actually enjoy the extra power even more. Irregardless, a Dinan tuned M5 is not an untamed animal that can't be controlled... unless you want it to be that is.

In regards to fuel economy there is practically no difference in MPG. The problem is that when you know you get extra power you want to use it. So you spend a lot more time mashing the gas and cruising at WOT which WILL negatively impact the fuel economy. Once that initial need to consistently do this goes away and you go back to your normal driving habits you will find the fuel economy is nearly identical to pre-tune.
Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

california

are there any dinah mods that are legal in california?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
are there any dinah mods that are legal in california?
I assume you are referring specifically to tunes that are legal. Currently, the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is not emissions legal in California. However, it is currently undergoing CARB testing and we hope that will be completed in the not too distant future. We are confident that it will be receiving an EO label and thus be emissions legal in CA and wherever there may be similar laws. Unfortunately the CARB process is not a quick thing and the process typically takes between 6 months and a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
I'm moving to Las Vegas from California, would your dealers/installers in Vegas install an S1 package on a California registered car?
      10-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50 View Post
I'm moving to Las Vegas from California, would your dealers/installers in Vegas install an S1 package on a California registered car?
You would have to ask the dealer directly but I wouldn't see why they wouldn't install it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Dr.Jeff
Private
Rep

Do you guys at Dinan have any 0-60/1/4 times with the CP and regular M5 tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jeff View Post
Which Dinan dealer did the install for you? TIA
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Dr.Jeff
Private
Rep

Classic BMW in Plano,Tx
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Any official dinan agents in the uk?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jeff View Post
We do not record any such data for the simple reason that both times are highly unpredictable given the myriad of variables. You can give the exact same car to 5 different individuals and get wildly different times. With variables like reaction time, launch, tire temperature, tire grip, etc there just are too many variables to be a meaningful measurement in our eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfra View Post
Any official dinan agents in the uk?
Unfortunately, we do not. We actually have quite a limited dealer base in Europe. Your only recourse would be to give us a call and we would ship internationally. In the case of DINANTRONICS; we would be send a pre-programmed box and you could install it yourself or have an independent BMW dealer do it if so desired.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
We do not record any such data for the simple reason that both times are highly unpredictable given the myriad of variables. You can give the exact same car to 5 different individuals and get wildly different times. With variables like reaction time, launch, tire temperature, tire grip, etc there just are too many variables to be a meaningful measurement in our eyes.
What about 60-130mph or 100-150mph times? Or Terminal Velocity at the end of the 1/4 mile? Such metrics are not so affected/influenced by the variables you cite above, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Well I'm seriously thinking about this. Sorry to be skeptical but is the air box really worth it as I was thinking of ordering the whole power pack.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfra
Well I'm seriously thinking about this. Sorry to be skeptical but is the air box really worth it as I was thinking of ordering the whole power pack.
It's the same cost of the other intakes offers. It looks great and is a very practical design.
      10-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
It's the same cost of the other intakes offers. It looks great and is a very practical design.
I think that Stage 2 requires the CAI.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
I think that Stage 2 requires the CAI.
It doesn't .
G
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
It doesn't .
G
This is from DINAN website details of the CAI; looks like stage 2 is designed for the CAI

+ Maximum peak power of 661 HP and 637 lb-ft of Torque utilizing Dinan Stage 2 components (DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner, intake and exhaust). A difference of 15 HP and 7 lb-ft of torque from Dinan Stage 1 (D-TRONICS Performance Tuner Only).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
This is from DINAN website details of the CAI; looks like stage 2 is designed for the CAI

+ Maximum peak power of 661 HP and 637 lb-ft of Torque utilizing Dinan Stage 2 components (DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner, intake and exhaust). A difference of 15 HP and 7 lb-ft of torque from Dinan Stage 1 (D-TRONICS Performance Tuner Only).
I'm glad you posted this. Let me know I forgot to change the specs on the cold air intake after the recent update. I knew something would get missed in the shuffle and there it is. The website has been updated on the CAI to show the real current specs associated with the it.

To answer the question the CAI and Exhaust are strongly recommended for the stage 2 tune but not explicitly required. Just like other tunes out there that recommend additional hardware pieces / octane in order to handle higher level maps, this would be the equivalent in the Dinan system. Also you are not REQUIRED to use only Dinan products like many seem to think. While it is highly recommended that you do since that is how we test everything and how we derive our gains you can use any exhaust / CAI in order to take advantage of stage 2 power. We just can't guarantee what numbers and what potential problems may be produced from various setups since there is no way we can test every possible combination out there.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #22
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Agreed! Love it. Best money I ever spent!
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0