M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp Package

Successful used Dinan Stage I/II install

I thought I would post this for other that might be considering doing what I did. I wanted a relatively low cost for a boost in performance and I didn't want to risk Cali emissions or putting too much power down to hurt my clutches. I chose to buy a used Dinan piggyback module from a forum member. As expected, the price was much better then list price which I agree is pretty expensive. I installed it myself and I normally do not work on my own cars. Took about 2 hours.

Software is working in Stage I and II on my otherwise stock 2014 Comp package M5. I've been running stage II for 2 weeks now. 91 Octane fuel. The power jump is definitely noticeable and traction is very difficult in 2nd gear and 3rd breaks free sometimes. MDM mode is fun, traction all off is a little scary. The car is a beast when manually shifting, cruising at about 4000 rpm and punching it. It pulls very very hard to redline and the engine seems smoother now. No check engine lights thus far with stage II without exhaust or intake. I may do the charcoal filter delete soon. Happy customer for very little time and money. No dyno at this point but if a dyno day were to come about I would be interested.
Appreciate 1
k3silk147.00
      10-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Charcoal delete should be your first "mod" !

And K&N's for the sweet spool sounds in low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Charcoal delete should be your first "mod" !

And K&N's for the sweet spool sounds in low rpm.
Yup. I think I’ll look into this next weekend. So the K&N’s let more sound out?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

try if you will and do a couple a few 3rd , 4th , into 5th gear redline pull's and see if you get a drivetrain malf..

just run thru all of 3rd and 4th and shift at your optimal redline and pls report back..

Some / Alotta guy shave reproted issues w the dinan piggy's and im curious how yours reacts to it.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

FYI -- I have been running Dinan II for awhile now and have never received a malfunction.
Appreciate 2
olis160.00
k3silk147.00
      10-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post
try if you will and do a couple a few 3rd , 4th , into 5th gear redline pull's and see if you get a drivetrain malf..

just run thru all of 3rd and 4th and shift at your optimal redline and pls report back..

Some / Alotta guy shave reproted issues w the dinan piggy's and im curious how yours reacts to it.

thanks
4th and 5th gear redline pulls? That's like 140/150 I believe in 4th. I have definitely done many redline pulls in 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
SakM_5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Had dinan piggy i bought used on my 1st f10 m5 and had to take it off due to drive train malfunction. happened a few times and once removed, never again. i had the AA piggy before that and never had an issue. What most people don't realize is the whole reason to choosing Dinan, is that you get the warranty backing it. If you buy it used its voided because it only goes with the original purchase vin. might as well buy a BMS stage 1 or AA
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakM_5 View Post
Had dinan piggy i bought used on my 1st f10 m5 and had to take it off due to drive train malfunction. happened a few times and once removed, never again. i had the AA piggy before that and never had an issue. What most people don't realize is the whole reason to choosing Dinan, is that you get the warranty backing it. If you buy it used its voided because it only goes with the original purchase vin. might as well buy a BMS stage 1 or AA
I just wanted something smog legal and at a reasonable pricepoint ($1500). I figured it was worth a try and so far I'm satisfied. I can drive the car for a few years and probably turn around and sell it for $1k.

The previous owner did state that he would get DCT errors after successive runs but he was running 93 octane and adding E85 I believe. He thought I would not see the errors running 91 octane as my power would be lower. But he did warn about it. It seems that maybe the DCT issues are when there are rapid hard shifts over and over and to be honest, how can you drive a 700 hp car on that street that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

If your car runs great with your driving style, then its a win win

It can be very difficult to find roads to max out 4th.
Appreciate 1
olis160.00
      11-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
ykjones
Master Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Signapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakM_5 View Post
+1 on drive train malfunction twice within one month this past Sep on two brand new Dinantronics Stage 2's installed at Dinan certified BMW dealership. 20 days 1st drive train malfunction and 11 days 2nd drive train malfunction, which occurred immediately after starting my car after it had been sitting for 90 minutes. No hard driving or nothing. After 2nd failure had it removed and got a full refund from the dealership. Piggyback performed well when it worked and I was very impressed. I guess it wasn't meant to be for my beast. As mentioned, in no way shape or form can warranty be transferred with a used unit. Spoke to Dinan about this as I was considering purchasing a used one. Dinatronics warranty is tied to original VIN vehicle and is voided when removed.
VF Engineering Hex Stage 1, RPI GTM Black edition, KW HAS, Dinan sway bars, Matt Schnell spacers, IND black chrome, M Performance rear spoiler, M Performance rear diffuser, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, ESS stainless steel brake lines, EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads, BMC air filters, charcoal filter delete, sprint booster, V1w/Blendmount, BIM coding all options, Pedal Haus pedals, Formula One Pinnacle Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis1 View Post
I just wanted something smog legal and at a reasonable pricepoint ($1500). I figured it was worth a try and so far I'm satisfied. I can drive the car for a few years and probably turn around and sell it for $1k.

The previous owner did state that he would get DCT errors after successive runs but he was running 93 octane and adding E85 I believe. He thought I would not see the errors running 91 octane as my power would be lower. But he did warn about it. It seems that maybe the DCT issues are when there are rapid hard shifts over and over and to be honest, how can you drive a 700 hp car on that street that way.
FYI, I also run 93 with a mix of E85 and have not received those DCT warnings.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
+1 on drive train malfunction twice within one month this past Sep on two brand new Dinantronics Stage 2's installed at Dinan certified BMW dealership. 20 days 1st drive train malfunction and 11 days 2nd drive train malfunction, which occurred immediately after starting my car after it had been sitting for 90 minutes. No hard driving or nothing. After 2nd failure had it removed and got a full refund from the dealership. Piggyback performed well when it worked and I was very impressed. I guess it wasn't meant to be for my beast. As mentioned, in no way shape or form can warranty be transferred with a used unit. Spoke to Dinan about this as I was considering purchasing a used one. Dinatronics warranty is tied to original VIN vehicle and is voided when removed.
I'm aware I have no warranty just like any other used part I buy. It's $1500 out the door. Not a big risk and it's Smog Legal in California.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis1 View Post
I'm aware I have no warranty just like any other used part I buy. It's $1500 out the door. Not a big risk and it's Smog Legal in California.
i Wasn't bashing , like someone said if she runs good for you its a win win !

but i have heard from most everyone that runs a dinan piggy the drivetrain malf's are very common , only reason i was assk..

also i use every bit of my 700 hp car on the streets everywhere i goooo

Neil
Appreciate 1
olis160.00
      11-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Decided to switch back to stock today via the Dinan iPhone app. Second gear was about the same since stock or not their isn’t enough traction. Third gear was like That strong pull from 4000 to redline was gone. Pulled over and switched it back to Stage 2 and ahhhh, there’s the power. Love it.

Later I decided to do charcoal filter delete. Popped the whole box out by removing the one screw. First side took 30-40 min figuring things out. Second side took 10. Car drives great!! Maybe more sound and quicker throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I've been running Dinan's piggy for about a year with no issues. Bought it used from a forum member. Runs strong and great all the time.

I have K&Ns, charcoal delete, and resonator delete.
Appreciate 0