M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

06-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Sakhir Orange & Leather Treatment

Hello Everyone (and Stealth Pilot),

I read a lot about leather protection on this forum and I have a question regarding maintaing the SO leather.

I read stealth's post about using the leather master products and specifically the foam for cleaning frequently, the cream (matte) once a month, and barrier once every 3 months. My questions are as follows:

* It sounds like the barrier is doing what cream does and more, so why not just use barrier all the time and not use cream? Its description in their own website says "just like the cream, but adds another layer of protection". Sounds like cream is irrelevant?

* Does SO require dye transfer prevention?

Thanks for your answers!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
A few comments:
1) I have stopped using leather masters foam. It is very gentle which is good for the leather, but I find it is too weak and requires too much rubbing which is bad for the leather. Instead I use Swissvax Leather cleaner forte now.
2) using the barrier instead of protection Creme is fine. But the protection Creme is available in matte and so I prefer to use that on a monthly basis and use the barrier once a quarter.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Also all leathers require dye transfer protection. If you have a trained eye you can tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A few comments:
1) I have stopped using leather masters foam. It is very gentle which is good for the leather, but I find it is too weak and requires too much rubbing which is bad for the leather. Instead I use Swissvax Leather cleaner forte now.
2) using the barrier instead of protection Creme is fine. But the protection Creme is available in matte and so I prefer to use that on a monthly basis and use the barrier once a quarter.

Hope that helps.
Good to know, Thanks Stealth.pilot
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A few comments:

Hope that helps.
Do you use different types of sponges or microfiber towels for each product?

Are you saying the barrier will make the leather look not matte and therefore I cannot use it very often which is why I should use the cream more often?

I'm honestly confused about the role of cream vs barrier. It seems to me one does what other one is also doing?

My car is lease by the way, so while I like to keep my cars clean and look new, at the end of the day it will be returned when lease is over.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I've stopped using leather cleaners - too much work and can go wrong if used too aggressively.

I have the Swissvax leather care kit (cleaner, milk, elephant, brush, towel) and it is consigned to storage.

For SO leather I've exclusively used Zaino Z10 'Leather in a bottle' (I've only used twice in 9 months/6K miles, but it can be used every couple of months). Admittedly, I don't often wear denim jeans in M5, but the Z10 can remove light dye transfer (from merely wiping on with small square of microsuede cloth) and adds depth back to SO (mine tends to go dull after a few months as it's left in the sun all day).

If you want to protect against dye transfer (+ add UV protection & water repellency), you could use something like GTechniq L1 'Leather Guard' (personally I don't like using nano scale products in the interior). I use GTechniq L1 on shoes, etc.

After 9 months/6K miles: -
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-04-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Should I use swissvax milk or the barrier from the leather master? Does it make sense to get the swissvax leather cleaner and get the protector from another brand?

This is a lot of money to maintain this leather though (swissvax kits), as I said my car is lease, I am not going to marry it or keep it for 10 years. As long as I prevent leather from getting destroyed and it looks decent, I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
Should I use swissvax milk or the barrier from the leather master? Does it make sense to get the swissvax leather cleaner and get the protector from another brand?

This is a lot of money to maintain this leather though (swissvax kits), as I said my car is lease, I am not going to marry it or keep it for 10 years. As long as I prevent leather from getting destroyed and it looks decent, I'm happy.
I use LM for leather conditioner and Swissvax for cleaner as stealth advises. The swissvax cleans great but is very $$. I cleaned our M5 1.5 times and our QX once and it was all gone.

Debating on if I will buy it again for the cost, but the product is good.
      06-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

What sponges, brushes, or towels do you guys recommend to apply cleaners and creams? I really like swissvax brush but they are out of stock.

I am thinking of getting this : http://shop.unitersna.com/products/leather-master-kit but i m not sure how good the their sponge/cloths are.

I dont want to pay $120 for swissvax as its 3.5 times more expensive. I have a kid in the car who destroys the seats and the swissvax bottle wont last me 2 months!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver

You're probably using the cleaner too much.

However there are a couple of decent less expensive cleaners I have used:
1) Zaino Leather in a bottle
2) Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner - can buy it by the gallon on Amazon. Also a good product.

For pads for cleaning, I buy all my pads from Chemical Guys. Basically they have some blue microfiber pads. I used these for both cleaning and conditioning. I tend to go through about 4-8 pads per cleaning and conditioning. Then I wash and reuse of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:

2) Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner - can buy it by the gallon on Amazon. Also a good product.

For pads for cleaning, I buy all my pads from Chemical Guys. Basically they have some blue microfiber pads. I used these for both cleaning and conditioning. I tend to go through about 4-8 pads per cleaning and conditioning. Then I wash and reuse of course.
Thanks! I will give them a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver
Quote:

Thanks! I will give them a try.
Actually Zaino leather in a bottle is a conditioner. Their cleaner is called Zaino Z9 leather soft spray cleaner.
Appreciate 0