M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

09-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
A month of coding, my review.

Guys,
It's been about a month since I've had the coding done.
Overall, I don't know if I would do it again. Here are all the options I sent to Alex, and what I think of them today.

List of requests
  1. Removal Of Seat Belt Chimes

This is nice. Care is more quiet now when you get in.

2. Windows up/down with key

This works as it should I think (I've yet to actually use the key)

3. Windows up/down with comfort access (Comfort Access Required)

This is probably the most disappointing one to me, and the biggest reason I was doing coding in the first place. Apparently the sideview mirrors, and the windows are all in the same code space. So, they both go up at the same time. Why this sucks for me: I like to leave a window open a bit for air on hot days. Now, I do this dumb game or rolling the window down extra low, then trying to time taking my finger off the comfort access before it is fully closed.

4. Folding Mirrors with key

Haven't tried the key.

5. Folding Mirrors with comfort access

As I said in the above section, these ARE NOT SEPARATE ITEMS. The mirrors and the windows go at the same time.

6. Cut power radio/electronics once driver door is opened

Very Nice. I notice this all the time.

7. Removal of CIC Accept Warning (faster boot up after removal)

Nice.

8. Activate DVDinMotion (Play Videos on the go and stopped)

Haven't tried any

9. Removal of camera warnings (requires cameras)

Works Nice.

10. Add Fuel Stop Proposals

I have no idea what this does. I've run low on fuel several times, but have no idea what this is supposed to do since I haven't noticed anything.

11. Add signals in HUD

I thought I would be super excited about this, but it ONLY works in Non-M mode. So, if you have the tach up, then this doesn't work in that mode. So, when I really want to drive, and that's when I have it in M-Mode, and that's when I don't want to look down in case my blinkers are on. And that is when this doesn't work...

12. Remove window safety feature (windows will not stop rolling if door is opened)

Haven't tried this yet or not noticed.

13. Remove Amber Side Marker Lights in headlights (Euro look)

I guess this is nice. TBH, I dont' remember what it used to look like.

14. Fogs on with High Beams (Fog Lights will not turn off when high beams or used)
    I have an m5, so no fog lights.

15. Fog Lights on when car is unlocked

No fog lights on m5

16. Open and close trunk with key and inside trunk release button (requires power lift-gate)

This might be the best one. I love being able to close the trunk from inside the car.

17. Digital Number Display For Tire Pressure Monitor with Temperature

Very nice. Coded it to a preset button for easy access.

18. Control Cameras at any speed

I thought I had Alex do this, but when I asked him why the rearview doesnt' come on, he said that most people complain that it doesn't turn off after you are in reverse, becoming a bit of a pain. I can understand that, so this is of so/so worth.

19. Cooler seat setting for cooling seats

I can't tell if these got any different, but I don't sweat if that means anything.

20. Anti Dazzle (have LED and Drivers Assist Plus)

I've had limited time to use this. It's hard to test, and I haven't driven enough at night to tell.

21. Turn off Active Sound

I've got Turner, so my car is louder that average. I am now totally used to the Turner, and almost forget it is there sometimes, so that is good. You don't forget when you floor it though. I can't tell if active sound went away or not.

So, overall, it's kind of a 50/50 if I would do this again.
The anti-nag screens gone is VERY NICE. The comfort access think kind of sucks, as does the rearview camera either being always on or always off type of thing if you code it.

Hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
I forgot to add a couple things to be aware of.

During the setup, my car turned off a couple of times, so try to pay attention and tell the coder if this happens.

I didn't say something fast enough, and one of the writes failed. Because of this, I ended up driving around with some strange errors popping up until I could get back online with Alex.

He ended up putting on a new file with no speed limiter.

I have to admit I have not much chance of actually seeing this work in person, but I guess this is a new feature that is available now.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
Guys,
It's been about a month since I've had the coding done.
Overall, I don't know if I would do it again. Here are all the options I sent to Alex, and what I think of them today.

List of requests
  1. Removal Of Seat Belt Chimes

This is nice. Care is more quiet now when you get in.

2. Windows up/down with key

This works as it should I think (I've yet to actually use the key)

3. Windows up/down with comfort access (Comfort Access Required)

This is probably the most disappointing one to me, and the biggest reason I was doing coding in the first place. Apparently the sideview mirrors, and the windows are all in the same code space. So, they both go up at the same time. Why this sucks for me: I like to leave a window open a bit for air on hot days. Now, I do this dumb game or rolling the window down extra low, then trying to time taking my finger off the comfort access before it is fully closed.

4. Folding Mirrors with key

Haven't tried the key.

5. Folding Mirrors with comfort access

As I said in the above section, these ARE NOT SEPARATE ITEMS. The mirrors and the windows go at the same time.

6. Cut power radio/electronics once driver door is opened

Very Nice. I notice this all the time.

7. Removal of CIC Accept Warning (faster boot up after removal)

Nice.

8. Activate DVDinMotion (Play Videos on the go and stopped)

Haven't tried any

9. Removal of camera warnings (requires cameras)

Works Nice.

10. Add Fuel Stop Proposals

I have no idea what this does. I've run low on fuel several times, but have no idea what this is supposed to do since I haven't noticed anything.

11. Add signals in HUD

I thought I would be super excited about this, but it ONLY works in Non-M mode. So, if you have the tach up, then this doesn't work in that mode. So, when I really want to drive, and that's when I have it in M-Mode, and that's when I don't want to look down in case my blinkers are on. And that is when this doesn't work...

12. Remove window safety feature (windows will not stop rolling if door is opened)

Haven't tried this yet or not noticed.

13. Remove Amber Side Marker Lights in headlights (Euro look)

I guess this is nice. TBH, I dont' remember what it used to look like.

14. Fogs on with High Beams (Fog Lights will not turn off when high beams or used)
    I have an m5, so no fog lights.

15. Fog Lights on when car is unlocked

No fog lights on m5

16. Open and close trunk with key and inside trunk release button (requires power lift-gate)

This might be the best one. I love being able to close the trunk from inside the car.

17. Digital Number Display For Tire Pressure Monitor with Temperature

Very nice. Coded it to a preset button for easy access.

18. Control Cameras at any speed

I thought I had Alex do this, but when I asked him why the rearview doesnt' come on, he said that most people complain that it doesn't turn off after you are in reverse, becoming a bit of a pain. I can understand that, so this is of so/so worth.

19. Cooler seat setting for cooling seats

I can't tell if these got any different, but I don't sweat if that means anything.

20. Anti Dazzle (have LED and Drivers Assist Plus)

I've had limited time to use this. It's hard to test, and I haven't driven enough at night to tell.

21. Turn off Active Sound

I've got Turner, so my car is louder that average. I am now totally used to the Turner, and almost forget it is there sometimes, so that is good. You don't forget when you floor it though. I can't tell if active sound went away or not.

So, overall, it's kind of a 50/50 if I would do this again.
The anti-nag screens gone is VERY NICE. The comfort access think kind of sucks, as does the rearview camera either being always on or always off type of thing if you code it.

Hope this helps someone!
Nice - good to know! Will pm you for some details
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Sorry it took me a few days to respond e90potentialbuyer
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
M8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I just had Alex re-code mine after the dealership re-flashed and erased everything! Super annoying!

Once again, Alex was great. Put everything back including Euro comp free of charge.

He really does a great job and is a pleasure to work with. Cannot recommend him highly enough.
Cadillac Escalade
Subaru Outback (it's required in Boulder!)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8
I just had Alex re-code mine after the dealership re-flashed and erased everything! Super annoying!

Once again, Alex was great. Put everything back including Euro comp free of charge.

He really does a great job and is a pleasure to work with. Cannot recommend him highly enough.
What do you mean by Euro comp ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Alex says he can give you the Euro Competition Package flash with more horsepower and more torque on US M5's. I didn't try it since I was not comfortable with having my car re-flashed, but I want to hear what you think of it @m8
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
M8
Private
United_States
Rep

Euro Comp flash analysis:

During cold start up - definitely much raspier exhaust sound. The rpm's for the first few seconds are noticeably higher.

Driving - car seems more responsive and my seat of the pants analysis tells me it feels more powerful. The tires seems to break loose a lot easier than before.

Problems - none.

I had this done by Alex a few months ago so lived with it for a while. Last dealership service, all was lost so I asked Alex to re-code. He replaced everything (and added in a few things that weren't around the first time) free of charge.

During the time I drove the car after the coding was lost, the car definitely was slower and less responsive. More civilized you could say. After re-code (and Euro Comp), exhaust is raspier, throttle more responsive, and car accelerates noticeably better.

Alex claims significant hp gains. I cannot confirm or deny but it certainly feels true.

Hope this helps.
Cadillac Escalade
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
M8
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
Alex says he can give you the Euro Competition Package flash with more horsepower and more torque on US M5's. I didn't try it since I was not comfortable with having my car re-flashed, but I want to hear what you think of it @m8
One more thing: I did the Euro Comp flash because I am deathly afraid of any of the piggy back systems people are using. The last thing I want is to void my warranty. I am not technical (although I am still aspiring to be!) and don't want to have to install and remove items whenever I bring the car in for service. Alex assured me that the flash was not detectable which so far has been true. Seems like a very inexpensive way to increase hp and torque (I am told over 600 hp) without any worries. My $.02.
Cadillac Escalade
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

How can I get a hold of Alex for coding and Euro CP tune?
      10-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 M2 07/16 Build

Which module does he flash ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy9980 View Post
Which module does he flash ?
I'll let you know later this week!
      10-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
BobaBrett
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Frozen Cashmere Silver

Is there are listing out there with people you trust to do the coding? Looking for someone in the Atlanta, GA area.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I'll let you know later this week!
Reason why I ask is I wonder if I can use esys to do this my self. I would still need to know what firmware is used!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8 View Post
One more thing: I did the Euro Comp flash because I am deathly afraid of any of the piggy back systems people are using. The last thing I want is to void my warranty. I am not technical (although I am still aspiring to be!) and don't want to have to install and remove items whenever I bring the car in for service. Alex assured me that the flash was not detectable which so far has been true. Seems like a very inexpensive way to increase hp and torque (I am told over 600 hp) without any worries. My $.02.
BMW reports the Euro comp as 423Kw, which is a bit less than the reported US Comp HP numbers.. What exactly is he flashing then because BMW is reporting basically the same for each..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8 View Post
BMW reports the Euro comp as 423Kw, which is a bit less than the reported US Comp HP numbers.. What exactly is he flashing then because BMW is reporting basically the same for each..
50 Jahre tune maybe ? I intend to code with Alex next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Can't be the 50 Jahre tune since he offered it to me in late July I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just had Alex code my car last night. The guy is AWESOME. He really knows his stuff! Highly recommended!
      11-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep

Coding is extremely is easy, also flashing the ecu's is too. You just have to make sure you flashing with the right parameters. If this is happening remotely seems kinda odd if they are flashing a ECU since it requires a power charging source of 70amps. I would see this kinda of risky. I'm still curious on what he is flashing if he is flashing or coding ? To be honest most of the options we code bmw enables down the line. Maybe after they test them !
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #20
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hello...E90 M3 owner here looking to move into an F10 M5.

I had Alex code my M3 a year or so ago and one of the options was Euro MDM (a tad less intrusive)...is this an option for the F10 M5?
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep

No its is not. Well I haven't found anything on it.

I did that to my M3 also its was pretty nice, in MDM mode it would let the car slip much more. The F10 M5 in MDM mode lets it slip pretty similar to that or more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Humm I think I will get this Euro Comp coded also. For those who have it any complaints so far?
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0