M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
GTHAUS
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Introducing TYR TECH (ECU) Tuning Program

GTHAUS Project BMW F10 M5 & BMW F12 M6 by GTHAUS-Meisterschaft, on Flickr

We would like to take this opportunity to introduce our "state of the art", TYR Technologies ECU Tuning software program from GTHAUS.

We recently outfitted our GTHAUS BMW F10 M5 with our complete Meisterschaft GTC (EV Control) exhaust system, Meisterschaft catless downpipes and TYR TECH (Stage 1) ECU tune with successful "cat-delete" function. The combination of these three components sets this F10 M5 on a completely different level above all else. Better yet, you will find no issues with a single check engine light or error message of any kind.

Here are a few images of our (F10) M5 being TYR TECH (Stage 1) tuned!

TYR Training 1 by GTHAUS-Meisterschaft, on Flickr

TYR Training 2 by GTHAUS-Meisterschaft, on Flickr

This TYR TECH +Meisterschaft Exhaust package is a true game changer that delivers an "insane" sound and also truly amazing power gains (both HP and TQ) - please refer to the various graphs below.

We are currently offering our TYR TECH (Stage 1) ECU tunes on most new BMW (F-label models such as F30, F01/02, F10 etc), also with Stage 2 tuning still in continuous development. The Stage 2 ECU tuning, of course, will bring even more drastic and aggressive performance results that are sure to make your BMW the talk of the town.

Within the past few months, we have had a chance to Dyno-test our 2013 BMW F12 M6 vehicle and our Stage 1 tuned 2013 BMW F10 M5 vehicle in various conditions and we have obtained results that were quite impressive: the F12 M6 with Meisterschaft GTC exhaust (Open mode) ran an additional +34 HP over the stock OEM exhaust system, while the tuned F10 M5 topped out at a whopping (575-585) HP with a crazy amount of TQ gain throughout the entire power band.

Here is a quick video we have put together for our F10 M5 dyno-test runs. Enjoy ~

Today, we would like to share some of this analytic and technical information with you. The dyno results are as follows:

Comparison 1:

LINE 2(BLUE) - F12 M6: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT (NO TUNE)

LINE 3 (GREEN) - F12 M6: STOCK - OEM EXHAUST (NO TUNE)

BMW F12 M6 stock (green) vs. BMW F12 M6 with cat-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode (blue)

Comparison 2:

LINE 1(RED) - F10 M5: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT + TYR TECH (STAGE 1) TUNE

LINE 2(BLUE) - F12 M6: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT

BMW F12 M6 With cat-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode (blue) vs. BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode & TYR TECH Stage 1 tune (red)

Comparison 3:

LINE 1(RED) - F10 M5: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT + TYR TECH (STAGE 1) TUNE

BMW F12 M6 stock (green) vs. BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode & TYR TECH Stage 1 tune (red)

All graphs Combined:

LINE 2(BLUE) - F12 M6: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT

BMW F12 M6 stock (green) vs. BMW F12 M6 with cat-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode (blue) vs. BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode and TYR TECH Stage 1 tune.

As you notice the graph below;

Our F10 M5 is currently getting consistent power output (at the wheels) : (AVG 575-585 HP / 580-590 TQ) vs. Stock (AVG 525-530 HP / 520-525 TQ)

F10 M5: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT + TYR TECH (STAGE 1) TUNE RESULTS

BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode & TYR TECH Stage 1 tune. Run 1 (blue). Run 2 (red)

All of our dyno runs were performed by the folks at Sound Performance (our local, independent dyno shop). Reid or Jerry @ SP may be contacted at 630-893-5002 if you have any concerns or questions. Great people to deal with by the way.

For more information on our Meisterschaft products and TYR TECH ECU upgrades,

Please visit our website at www.gthaus.com or call us directly (Toll free at 1-866-278-1896)
or just come on by our location (Bensenville, IL) or nearest GTHAUS dealer in your area.

Thank you very much for reading this post and also for sincere interests in GTHAUS products.

GTHAUS

Last edited by GTHAUS; 12-04-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Very impressive results, congratulations. I know you have no business interest in doing this, but perhaps a few of your potential customers would like to test your catless downpipes with the rest of the exhaust stock. Is this possible and do you think your stage one tune would work with the stock center pipes and rear mufflers? I'd be curious to see if removing the cats and adding a mild tune would bring more benefit than replacing the system from the cats back and no tune. Also interesting to judge the sound quality of the stock mufflers with the added flow from deleting the cats. Might be a whole new sounding beast!

Secondly, from your experience with BMW, do you think the engine warranty is pretty much gone with the deletion of the cats? And I suppose the same can be said with any tuning of the engine ECU? When any ECU tuning has proved itself reliable over time, I suppose many will not worry and proceed, but at first it is a concern for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
GTHAUS
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Very impressive results, congratulations. I know you have no business interest in doing this, but perhaps a few of your potential customers would like to test your catless downpipes with the rest of the exhaust stock. Is this possible and do you think your stage one tune would work with the stock center pipes and rear mufflers? I'd be curious to see if removing the cats and adding a mild tune would bring more benefit than replacing the system from the cats back and no tune. Also interesting to judge the sound quality of the stock mufflers with the added flow from deleting the cats. Might be a whole new sounding beast!

Secondly, from your experience with BMW, do you think the engine warranty is pretty much gone with the deletion of the cats? And I suppose the same can be said with any tuning of the engine ECU? When any ECU tuning has proved itself reliable over time, I suppose many will not worry and proceed, but at first it is a concern for me at least.
1. TYR TECH (Stage 1) tune with Cat-delete software can work with stock/OE exhaust system + catless Down Pipe set up. However the Maximum (optimal) performance result and Agressive sound note (realized with Meisterschaft exhaust) will not be there.

2. Depending on your dealer.
Some don't really care, but some are very strict about it.
It is pretty common that ECU upgrade will not cause much of an issues with dealer vehicle warranties, but catless downpipe alone can
since it can trigger check engine light when you don't have a proper ECU tune.
Catless down pipes with proper (TYR TECH) ECU tune (so it doesn't trigger CEL) usually does not have any issues with dealers.

GTHAUS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
mattmv06
Private
Rep
Drives: Accord

I work at a dealership and for us at least if you have an issue that's caused by the modifications then we wont cover it (more like tell you to come back stock haha) but if you've got full exhaust, tuned, intake, etc and your seat doesn't work then the mods won't affect your warranty on that at all.

That car sounds amazing btw! The results are outstanding as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
GTHAUS
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmv06 View Post
I work at a dealership and for us at least if you have an issue that's caused by the modifications then we wont cover it (more like tell you to come back stock haha) but if you've got full exhaust, tuned, intake, etc and your seat doesn't work then the mods won't affect your warranty on that at all.

That car sounds amazing btw! The results are outstanding as well!
Thank you for your insight and also for your compliments.
You should see our performance result of TYR TECH (Stage II) tune installed, which we are currently testing.. It truly is "amazing"..
Stay tuned, we will release the stage II ECU info in Jan.2013
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware that warranty infractions that don't impact the function of another portion of the car won't affect factory repair of the unaffected part. But the engine is a very expensive component and I am assuming that BMW will be able to determine if the ECU has had a tune, even if that tune doesn't activate the CEL while it is installed, and even after the tune is removed. Please correct me if that is wrong, I wish it were.

GTHAUS, have you actually run the catless downpipes with the otherwise stock exhaust in place? Have you heard the sound of the exhaust in that configuration? Do you have an audio track for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
mattmv06
Private
Rep
Drives: Accord

To safe I'd make sure you delete all of your faults before remove the software. I'm not sure what faults the software can delete. Just from personal experience the only way I've been able to tell is by looking at current faults and comparing them to what faults wed normally see. If its a major issue then the field service engineer would come out and take a look at it and they can see whole lot more than we as techs can see. Like how many times launch control was performed etc. so I can't answer what they can see or if they'd be able to detect it. I am super excited to see stage II btw. Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what faults the software can delete. If its a major issue then the field service engineer would come out and take a look at it and they can see whole lot more than we as techs can see. so I can't answer what they can see or if they'd be able to detect it.
Exactly, it's an unsure situation, and if you have demolished the transmission or the differential through an excess of horsepower I imagine BMW would bring in the field service engineer if it looked to be beyond just usual wear and tear. Or, if the engine has a major failure I'd think BMW would carefully check those parameters that would indicate unusual fuel use, high turbo boosts, or whatever else would indicate out of factory adjustments to the systems.

I'd love to jump into Stage 2 and have all that power to play with, but I don't have an insurance policy that would pay for an out of warranty malfunction. I wouldn't doubt an engine replacement would be 10s of thousands of $$. Am I too timid......perhaps. Although I do think it will still be a very fun toy even in fully stock trim. Perhaps at the end of the warranty period when all of the developed upgrades are tried and true would be the time to jump to Stage 5, or whatever they'll be up to at that time.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
GTHAUS
Banned
Rep

FYI, our TYR TECH (stage I) tune is not detectable by BMW service center (Dealer).
With Down pipe upgrade, it is obvious that you "MUST" have some sort of coding upgrade, not to have the CEL issues,

but we know that dealer (service bay) equipment will not be able to detect such software upgrade unless as someone mentioned above,
BMW factory engineer with advanced factory equipments (more capable) starting to analyze your car.
At least that's what we know so far.

Most of all, it ultimately really comes down to the dealer(service)
and also who you know and who you are dealing with at your dealership...

Last edited by GTHAUS; 12-05-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Well done.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Yes, I'm aware that warranty infractions that don't impact the function of another portion of the car won't affect factory repair of the unaffected part. But the engine is a very expensive component and I am assuming that BMW will be able to determine if the ECU has had a tune, even if that tune doesn't activate the CEL while it is installed, and even after the tune is removed. Please correct me if that is wrong, I wish it were.

GTHAUS, have you actually run the catless downpipes with the otherwise stock exhaust in place? Have you heard the sound of the exhaust in that configuration? Do you have an audio track for comparison?
As has been mentioned the BMW DME sw will "record/detect" a "tune" and if the car gets plugged into the BMW diagnostic system it is very likely the data will be sent to BMW NA.
This is actually totally out of the hands of the local tech , so even if you have a great relationship with your dealer/tech they can't do anything to filter/restrict data which is being sent to BMW NA (only option is not to plug in the car, which works if you have something simple done and it doesn't require coding/updates etc).
BMW NA has the ability to see data even the local tech can't see (such as RPM, torque, airflow meter reading, boost changes etc) . By correlating these "events" it is possible to at least build a case for the existence of a tune (ie if your car has different values for AF, boost etc than a "stock" car ). This is also how BMW NA will decide on warranty claims when it comes to transmissions/engines, for example on a manual M they've been able to if the engine has ever been over-revved etc and if it's the case they may void the warranty)
As a last note BMW has also been pretty aggresive on the N55/N54 based cars in voiding drive train warranties and sometimes even have folks buyout their lease etc (and please don't start arguing about the Moss Magnuson act...)
If you tune your car via flash/piggyback just be realistic and understand the possible side effects/issues.

Anyways just my 2c
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
This is actually totally out of the hands of the local tech , so even if you have a great relationship with your dealer/tech they can't do anything to filter/restrict data which is being sent to BMW NA

Anyways just my 2c
All that you stated is also my understanding of the power of the BMW police, and the catless downpipes will probably wait for a while, unfortunately. You mention the manual shift overrev and I assume that could only happen with a wildly over-optimistic downshift where the rear wheels drive the engine revs way past redline? The manual has the same rev limit safeguards as the DCT on the way up the gears doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Given the propensity of BMW turbo power plants to fail, does TYR-Tech cover any warranty gaps that BMW won't cover on a tuned engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Given the propensity of BMW turbo power plants to fail, does TYR-Tech cover any warranty gaps that BMW won't cover on a tuned engine?
The only company that comes remotely close to offering something like this is Dinan and you pay $$$$ for that service.
Appreciate 0