M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Failed Dinan Stage 1 Install......RESOLVED

After much review on this forum I decided to purchase the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner Stage 1 model D440-1603-ST1 for my otherwise completely stock 2014 M5 with competition package (early production with mechanical waste gate). I was told my regular BMW dealer here in Wichita KS could do the install, and the unit was pre-programmed by Dinan so it would just need to be plugged in. I received the unit and wiring harness, all very top notch looking stuff. There was a bar code scanner that my phone could read that confirmed the software install and my correct VIN in the unit. My dealer installed the unit per the excellent instructions that came with it, clearing all the faults before and after install. He then test drove it, noticing much increased power, faster and smoother shifting, and.......a big drivetrain warning in the center display. No reduced power or limp mode, no problem with drivability. When he checked the code it was a low side knock sensor issue for running too smoothly. He didn't really understand why that would be an issue. Repeated clearing of the fault and driving the car failed to prevent the fault and subsequent drivetrain alert from coming back every time. My mechanic contacted Dinan and had him send copies of the fault code. Dinan said they had never seen this before, and suspected it might be a fuel issue (we only have 91 here in KS). My mechanic tried adding 103 octane booster but no improvement. Neither he nor Dinan had any further ideas, so with just a 72 hour return window I felt compelled to have the unit removed and return it. My car runs perfectly with no faults or alerts since removing the unit.

I don't fault Dinan, and I am disappointed that I can't use the unit since it did seem to work as advertised, I am just too obsessive compulsive to be able to drive around with warning lights on, especially the center idrive screen. I don't know if the fuel is at fault, I know some of the development work was done on cars from TX where they run 93 octane. Just thought I would add my story to see if anyone else has some thoughts?

Last edited by Hammer91; 11-13-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91
After much review on this forum I decided to purchase the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 model D440-1603-ST1 for my otherwise completely stock 2014 M5 with competition package (early production with mechanical waste gate). I was told my regular BMW dealer here in Wichita KS could do the install, and the unit was pre-programmed by Dinan so it would just need to be plugged in. I received the unit and wiring harness, all very top notch looking stuff. There was a bar code scanner that my phone could read that confirmed the software install and my correct VIN in the unit. My dealer installed the unit per the excellent instructions that came with it, clearing all the faults before and after install. He then test drove it, noticing much increased power, faster and smoother shifting, and.......a big drivetrain warning in the center display. No reduced power or limp mode, no problem with drivability. When he checked the code it was a low side knock sensor issue for running too smoothly. He didn't really understand why that would be an issue. Repeated clearing of the fault and driving the car failed to prevent the fault and subsequent drivetrain alert from coming back every time. My mechanic contacted Dinan and had him send copies of the fault code. Dinan said they had never seen this before, and suspected it might be a fuel issue (we only have 91 here in KS). My mechanic tried adding 103 octane booster but no improvement. Neither he nor Dinan had any further ideas, so with just a 72 hour return window I felt compelled to have the unit removed and return it. My car runs perfectly with no faults or alerts since removing the unit.

I don't fault Dinan, and I am disappointed that I can't use the unit since it did seem to work as advertised, I am just too obsessive compulsive to be able to drive around with warning lights on, especially the center idrive screen. I don't know if the fuel is at fault, I know some of the development work was done on cars from TX where they run 93 octane. Just thought I would add my story to see if anyone else has some thoughts?
What date was the build ? Are you 100% certain you don't have an electronic waste gate ? Also I would download the latest software onto the ecu .
George
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
My dealer installed the unit per the excellent instructions that came with it, clearing all the faults before and after install. He then test drove it, noticing much increased power, faster and smoother shifting, and.......a big drivetrain warning in the center display. No reduced power or limp mode, no problem with drivability. When he checked the code it was a low side knock sensor issue for running too smoothly. He didn't really understand why that would be an issue. Repeated clearing of the fault and driving the car failed to prevent the fault and subsequent drivetrain alert from coming back every time. My mechanic contacted Dinan and had him send copies of the fault code. Dinan said they had never seen this before, and suspected it might be a fuel issue (we only have 91 here in KS).
I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with the Dinan unit. This is the first I have heard of this incident but I will touch base with tech support tomorrow and see if I can get a better grasp of the situation. I would imagine that tech support tried to resolve it any way they could so they may be deeming this as an isolated case attributed to some unknown variable at the moment. But if the possibility exists that this is not some isolated case it definitely needs to be addressed so I will get what info I can tomorrow.

Regardless, that is a very strange fault to get. The issue with fuel may not be so much the octane but the blend. I believe Kansas is one of the states with a much higher ethanol concentration than others and that may have been the basis of the theory. Total guess on my part. I also know for certain we have 335/435's in Kansas with DINANTRONICS that have not had any issues so that should imply that fueling isn't the problem. Very odd indeed.

I will PM you tomorrow after I get some background.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Dinan and support have been very good we working until they get things right. Sorry you has a bad experience. I know they will do their best to get you taken care.
      10-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Hammer91
Private
Rep

Car is very early production, actually 2013, so mechanical wasre gate for sure. Dinan would know that from the VIN anyway, and the VIN displayed on the unit was correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
Car is very early production, actually 2013, so mechanical wasre gate for sure. Dinan would know that from the VIN anyway, and the VIN displayed on the unit was correct.
It's strange that you would get a code for running too smoothly. Makes sense to either return it or let them figure out how to fix it assuming they will extend your return window.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Hammer91
Private
Rep

When you say download latest software, you mean for car or Dinan unit? Car is up to date, and unfortunately my BMW dealer not a Dinan dealer so he can't download anything to the Dinan unit, thats why Dinan programmed it before shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Hammer91
Private
Rep

When you say download latest software, you mean for car or Dinan unit? Car is up to date, and unfortunately my BMW dealer not a Dinan dealer so he can't download anything to the Dinan unit, thats why Dinan programmed it before shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Hammer91
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
It's strange that you would get a code for running too smoothly. Makes sense to either return it or let them figure out how to fix it assuming they will extend your return window.
VERY strange, my BMW tech, who is very sharp and I have worked with almost 10 years, couldn't make any sense of it. The car was actually running great. I hope they can figure it out, would like to be able to reinstall. For anyone concerned however very easy to install or remove, now back stock with no issues. Dinan very good to work with as well.

Last edited by Hammer91; 10-31-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Hammer91
Private
Rep

FIXED

UPDATE:

After returning my original unit I was asked if I was willing to let them send me a new setup and try again. Had excellent help from Scott Leandres in sales and Dan McNiff in service at Dinan, and Dan overnighted me a new unit and cable set that he himself checked and programmed. Unit was very easily installed by my BMW dealer, and runs perfectly with NO warning lights on 91 fuel. Fit and finish of the cables look factory, Dinantronics box looks cool with blue light.

Performance is phenomenal! If you drive normal it is like no difference at all, very smooth. But when you step on the gas, wow does it have power everywhere, there is a VERY noticeable difference, but again very smooth and even. My car has no other mods beside charcoal filter delete, otherwise normal 2014 CP. This is my first tune on any car ever, and I am very impressed.

I am very pleased with the Dinan service and support. While I had a problem the first time around, I was happy that removing the unit easily returned it to normal, and Dinan was more than happy to take it back. I am very glad they offered to try again. They impressed me as being concerned to do what was needed to make things right, and they did.

Last edited by Hammer91; 11-13-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Thumbs up!
      11-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
boots