M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Deciding between Dinan and BMS....!

I like the cost of the BMS...

BUT... I like the warranty, convenience of dealer install and additional functional aspects of the Dinan.

I don't really care too much about getting max performance out of this thing... Just would be cool to have a bit more power. The power:weight ratio obvisouly isn't ideal.

If the Dinan was $2,500, it would be a no-brainer. But at $3,250... It's a bit of a choice to make now... Considering the BMS is $500.

How is everyone deciding between BMS and Dinan?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I like the cost of the BMS...

BUT... I like the warranty, convenience of dealer install and additional functional aspects of the Dinan.

I don't really care too much about getting max performance out of this thing... Just would be cool to have a bit more power. The power:weight ratio obvisouly isn't ideal.

If the Dinan was $2,500, it would be a no-brainer. But at $3,250... It's a bit of a choice to make now... Considering the BMS is $500.

How is everyone deciding between BMS and Dinan?
It's hard to say! The difference between BMS and Dinan (power or torque wise) is not that much (regardless which one make car a bit faster) since this car by itself is fast, but the difference of $2750 is for warranty! it's like insurance you may or may not need to use but you get it! If I wanted to tune my car, I would go with Dinan since I have no time and energy to argue with dealers or BMWNA in case of any failure... and I know even in case of BMS if something is broken, by law they cannot deny the warranty unless the failure is the result of tuning, but proving this concept is a long process if happens! .... maybe I'm so conservative but I had many bad experiences with BMW dealers!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

DINAN

Stage 1 is 3K (not including installation)

I had the BMS for 6 months prior to the Dinan piggyback being available. 2 weeks ago I had Stage 1 installed.
The main difference as Eurocar has pointed out in other posts is how smooth it is compared to the BMS. The BMS (although crude and basic compared to some of their other piggybacks) is effective as the boost and power hit you at about 3500 RPMs. The Dinan is very seamless and smooth with its power delivery. I am very happy and also like the fact that on a lease car I am at least covered by some sort of warranty.
If you ever get a chance to drive both cars (BMS vs Dinan) you will easily feel the difference and thus I think its worth it at least IMO.
That being said there is allot of potential with the BMS in the hands of guys that really want to modify and customize their vehicles with meth integration etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I have also had both installed. Dinan takes the win for me.
      11-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

For me it's BMS with the current firmware as it smooths out the power delivery, that was also what sold it for my wife since the white M5 was running the old BMS firmware and the torque was so insane, she still liked driving it that way but the update is a definite improvement.

I need to get some runs so I have real numbers in but at speed I think the BMS is faster, set to 3.5 or 4 depending on what I have in it..

I am not sure about others but before I ran the new firmware the Dinan was definitely smoother and I can see why people would look toward it.

With regard to the warranty.. Dinan does a good job of covering anything BMW will not, however you will be turning the leased car in with a partially voided warranty, and BMW cannot CPO it.. I am not sure how that plays with leases but my dealer said it would be an issue.

In my case I take the 20 minutes to pull the BMS out before the car goes to the dealer, better they always get it without the tune installed..
      11-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
If you run into problems with your car, you're going to want Dinan. Any finger pointing by the shop can always be worked out with Dinan as they have staff to answer the phone and provide new modules if there are issues. I am not sure what kind of customer support BMS offers but since it's a simpler module, it might be easier to take off. However, if the dealer thinks it might have been the source of a failure, you have no recourse.

I am a textbook case for BMW part failures with the piggyback installed. I don't even want to think about how much it would have cost me to figure out Dinan or not Dinan without a warranty. The SA told me something like 13 hours went into diagnosing my car and they did end up replacing the Dinan module.

That having been said, I have no choice on my 991tts and am going with the FVD piggyback. Any issues will probably hit my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Thanks for the feedback guys. Exactly my thoughts as well.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
If you run into problems with your car, you're going to want Dinan. Any finger pointing by the shop can always be worked out with Dinan as they have staff to answer the phone and provide new modules if there are issues. I am not sure what kind of customer support BMS offers but since it's a simpler module, it might be easier to take off. However, if the dealer thinks it might have been the source of a failure, you have no recourse.

I am a textbook case for BMW part failures with the piggyback installed. I don't even want to think about how much it would have cost me to figure out Dinan or not Dinan without a warranty. The SA told me something like 13 hours went into diagnosing my car and they did end up replacing the Dinan module.

That having been said, I have no choice on my 991tts and am going with the FVD piggyback. Any issues will probably hit my wallet.
Is your car fixed now? Did Dinan take responsibility of failure?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

bms, way cheaper, and never had an issue with our dealerships,
just pull it off the car if you have a serious issues
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Both are great options and from what I've seen performance is very similar. Remember with the BMS you have the option for a smoother or more aggressive pedal to boost mapping. I know many like the smoother but the more aggressive mapping is also there for those who want it or want to switch between the two of them. The BMS also gives you some adjustability on the boost side of things.

With Dinan I still have not heard what BMW's stance is on adding it to leased vehicles since those cars no longer qualify for BMW's CPO warranty. If you are leased be sure to look in to that.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've seen so many different scenario's with dealerships. My conclusion they all LIE, and not all dealerships are experienced with all cars. If they have problems figuring out an issue cause its a new car, they don't service a lot of M's etc.. they call a tech hotline and are told over the phone what to replace.
I've personally asked before bringing in a car for warranty work, leave parts on, take parts off..etc. It all comes down to WHO is performing the work on the car and what the car is actually at the dealership for.
There was a BMW dealership that bought/sold/installed BMS parts here in CA until recently. So, its always a different scenario.
But, back to the topic at hand...
There is a large difference between a BMS and Dinan running car.
You get what you pay for. And for anyone thinking all you have to do is remove your unit and the dealer will never find out that you added any type of piggy back..your wrong. They will find out regardless of what you may have been told.
These diagnostic computers are very detailed and store lots of information in many control modules that an aftermarket scan tool can not clear.
If you have the money to spend, go with Dinan. You will not be disappointed.
I've installed BMS kits and they work very well for what it is.
No bashing on anyone from me.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
what is the real install time for BMS? is it critical to remove airboxes?

in 3 series BMS install takes 5 mintes with just plastic cover to be removed

thanks in advance

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
what is the real install time for BMS? is it critical to remove airboxes?

in 3 series BMS install takes 5 mintes with just plastic cover to be removed

thanks in advance
Yes you have to remove the air boxes. That is easy.
It takes about 20 minutes to install the harness and then connect your laptop to make the changes to the BMS unit.
It is very easy
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
Yes you have to remove the air boxes. That is easy.
It takes about 20 minutes to install the harness and then connect your laptop to make the changes to the BMS unit.
It is very easy
thanks a lot!

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Is your car fixed now? Did Dinan take responsibility of failure?
The car is fixed. Dinan replaced their module and BMW replaced the low pressure sensor in the fuel line. Seems to me that I can't figure out exactly who was at fault but I have my car back running great. I posted some Vbox data. The net of it is that I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket and my car is running great. The original hpfp failure was a BMW issue, it seems like the other stuff was related but happened after the original failure, not as part of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
The car is fixed. Dinan replaced their module and BMW replaced the low pressure sensor in the fuel line. Seems to me that I can't figure out exactly who was at fault but I have my car back running great. I posted some Vbox data. The net of it is that I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket and my car is running great. The original hpfp failure was a BMW issue, it seems like the other stuff was related but happened after the original failure, not as part of it.
I've had to replace the fuel pressure sensor as well.
That was before installing the Dinan software.
Car would go into "reduced power" intermittent.
Cycle the ignition and power would return.
This is a common issue I have been seeing on (S63T). (Not Dinan related)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've had to replace the fuel pressure sensor as well.
That was before installing the Dinan software.
Car would go into "reduced power" intermittent.
Cycle the ignition and power would return.
This is a common issue I have been seeing on (S63T). (Not Dinan related)
I have a car problem attraction I think. Seems my 991 has the resetting PCM problem that is a software fix. Doesn't keep me from driving the car but it's annoying. Glad to know this about the low pressure sensor since that is exactly the symptoms but in addition the car ran rough and died in the middle of the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Was talking with the manager of my local BMW dealer last night, asking why they dropped support for Dinan a few years ago.. He proceeds to walk through multiple blown engines on Dinan cars that BMW would not touch as part of the factory warranty, yet Dinan would not pay for although no other mods than Dinan... They eventually got BMW to pay for one to help make a customer whole but in the end two customers left in the lurch over the course of a year with Dinan not honoring their warranty..

Sounds like the dealer is thinking of signing back up with Dinan since it's been a few years, but those stories make me wonder about the security of the warranty offered...

Obviously there are two sides to every story so take it with a grain of salt, definitely interesting hearing some of the fallout from tunes when things go wrong.
      12-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
Was talking with the manager of my local BMW dealer last night, asking why they dropped support for Dinan a few years ago.. He proceeds to walk through multiple blown engines on Dinan cars that BMW would not touch as part of the factory warranty, yet Dinan would not pay for although no other mods than Dinan... They eventually got BMW to pay for one to help make a customer whole but in the end two customers left in the lurch over the course of a year with Dinan not honoring their warranty..

Sounds like the dealer is thinking of signing back up with Dinan since it's been a few years, but those stories make me wonder about the security of the warranty offered...

Obviously there are two sides to every story so take it with a grain of salt, definitely interesting hearing some of the fallout from tunes when things go wrong.
I am really curious as to who this dealer is if you don't mind since to the best of my knowledge and the other sales guys knowledge we haven't had a single dealer in the Virginia/Maryland area leave the program, at least in the last 5 years.

Would love to research these supposed claims and give you factual data other then just some secondhand story that has been passed down after X generations.

We have never backed out on a legitimate warranty claim. If we had, BMW NA would not allow us to be in their stores as it gives them bad press. As an example as to how we have honored our warranty and our agreement with BMW in the past I will reference the N54 turbo fiasco. Before BMW acknowledged that there were issues we here at Dinan were buying replacement turbos in bulk since when the turbos failed, and BMW denied claim due to the Dinan tune, we were at the mercy to replace them. Even though we knew it was not our problem. Eventually the sheer amount of problems dictated that the problem was not on Dinan but we stepped up regardless. We stand behind our factory matching new car warranty and our track record with BMW NA and their willingness to allow us to be a distribution channel proves this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
As an example as to how we have honored our warranty and our agreement with BMW in the past I will reference the N54 turbo fiasco. Before BMW acknowledged that there were issues we here at Dinan were buying replacement turbos in bulk since when the turbos failed, and BMW denied claim due to the Dinan tune, we were at the mercy to replace them. Even though we knew it was not our problem. Eventually the sheer amount of problems dictated that the problem was not on Dinan but we stepped up regardless. We stand behind our factory matching new car warranty and our track record with BMW NA and their willingness to allow us to be a distribution channel proves this.
Now this is choice. I had both turbos replaced on my N54 engine (2010 535i), all the coils and several injectors. All that was prior to me installing the Dinan Stage 2 which made the car really perform. I was leery of keeping the car past 50k though and so bought the M5. Quite obviously in my case, BMW was the problem. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #21
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Dinan goes above and beyond when assisting with warranty and any situations for that matter.
I have been a Dinan dealer for almost 10 years now and they have always assisted myself and my clients. Even if my client lives 2 hours away, they have contacted that BMW dealer directly and helped me resolve any issue.
Best support I have experienced from any company I have done business with !!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Dinan goes above and beyond when assisting with warranty and any situations for that matter.
I have been a Dinan dealer for almost 10 years now and they have always assisted myself and my clients. Even if my client lives 2 hours away, they have contacted that BMW dealer directly and helped me resolve any issue.
Best support I have experienced from any company I have done business with !!
Thanks for the kind words. I know Dan would appreciate it. Hardest working guy in warranty, bar none. =)
Appreciate 0