Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Just did another forum members car today (kevn23). Pulls like a freight train. Almost made him throw up on the test drive in a straight line! Hopefully he chimes in after his drive back to Santa Barbara.

LI-M5 will answer your questions when I get back to a computer in a couple hrs

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #68
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Just did another forum members car today (kevn23). Pulls like a freight train. Almost made him throw up on the test drive in a straight line! Hopefully he chimes in after his drive back to Santa Barbara.

Mike was is stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #69
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
Mike was is stage 2?
Stage I. Stock 2013, non comp pack.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
sbassi39.00
      08-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #70
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
Mike was is stage 2?
Stage I. Stock 2013, non comp pack.
Nice.. Can't wait
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #71
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post
Mike , a few Q's for you pal !

which i'm sure other member's wouldn't mind aswell having the info

Trevor m3 is my cous , found out about you through him , on the fence about ecu flash or piggy!
Hi Neil,

My pleasure to answer your questions.

Quote:
being out of state I'm assuming i remove ecu's and send to you where you do your thing and send em back to me ?
Correct, for customers out of state, the DME's must be shipped in. If we receive the DME's before 1 or 2 PM, we will usually turn them around the same day to minimize downtime.

For local customers, we like to allocate 4hrs total, but usually get them done in 2-3 hours. The car today took two hours flat from start to finish, which is really good considering the DME's have to be pulled, drilled, have the passwords read, backed up completely, programmed, reinstalled, and then flashed over OBD + bleeding of cooling system. We are working on a step by step ECU removal guide which we will provide to customers to assist them with this process.

Quote:
once i receive em i install them back and thru OBD(cable i get thru you) you take over my laptop and turn me into a beast ?
Not necessarily. If you want to flash them over OBD, we can do that remotely or you can yourself. Usually we will send them out tuned and ready to go, so you just reinstall them, start the car, and you're ready to rock immediately.

Quote:
Being that your out of state for me if i have issue's can we always just plug back into OBD and bring the ecu's back to factory spec in order for me to get in to dealer ?
does this cost anything ?
If you opt for getting the BPMFlash cable, we are happy to provide you with the stock file to load back and you can do this anytime at your leisure. No charge for this. Usually for those going back to the dealer, we provide a special stock file which is your stock file with the tamper detection removed, so that way there is nothing that tips the dealer off that the ECU's are now OBD flashable. If you put the tune back to stock without this, each ECU will have a tamper protection code that is visible. With the modified stock file, it will not have any faults.

Quote:
will the dealer ever be able to see anything ? i know lately guy's are drilling holes or someshit but aside from them looking at ecu physically i mean can they plug in and see diff spec's air/fuel/boost other than what the factory set's car for ?
It's unlikely that at the dealer level that they would be able to see anything. Out of all of the M5's we've done, we haven't had any issues at the dealer. If the ECU's come back to us, we can restore the software 100% back (meaning everything it records, max RPM, max speed achieved, etc..) because we backup not only the tuning file, but other parts of the computer that store data. We can restore it 100% back to where it was before we touched it.

Quote:
I'm currently running drop in filters , axle back strait pipe's , rpi scoop's , JB4 w 5-6 gall's E85 my car is very quick , snappy , fast etc

i wanna say just by those modd's I'm let's say 590 wheel , what would your flash be able to bring me to as safe as posss w out compromising the integrity of the car , i wanna go fast but be as reliable as poss..

the mod's i spoke of ^^^ are on my 13 , i currently have a 16 on order and the flash and Q's are related to my incoming 16
Absolutely. We can make as much or as little power as you want. We like to keep it safe in the 650whp range. It's no problem pushing it to 700whp or even more, but we prefer to err on the side of safety. We don't do any ignition advance in any of our software unless the customer is using really good fuel. With the tune, the car will drive perfectly like a stock car but when you put your foot down it will be an untamed beast. Counter steering is necessary.

Quote:
on my 16 the modd's so far i know for sure will be , MSR Intake's , turner axleback , catless DP's and Most likely a flash due to the Drivetrain Malf FML which seem's most likely due to my piggy!

does your flash create any DM's ? im sure it has once and a while and I'm fine w that but on open throttle run's i'll pull a DM every time

anyway any other info you can add to this will be great for myself, trevorm3, another m6 and possibly another friend of mine w an M5 that I'm trying to persuade to Flash Aswell as all the other member's here for general reference on this tune !!
Drivetrain Malfunctions are absolutely unacceptable and should never happen unless there is an issue with a sensor, plug, injector, or something else. My car has 10,000 miles on it almost, and I've run to 200MPH multiple times and have repeatedly abused it, and have never seen a drivetrain malfunction to date. We've had customers in the past experience drivetrain malfunction due to bad coils or injectors, but after replacing the faulty part, the car is back to business with no errors. If there is nothing wrong with the car itself, you should never get a drivetrain malfunction. It also shouldn't be something that is sporadic - meaning sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. It should be consistent and reproducible. We've had people switch from a number of other piggybacks and software with Drivetrain malfunction issues, and our software has resolved those issues for those that didn't have a vehicle related issue.

Quote:
Sorry about all the Q's just trying to understand all this BS
I'd rather you make a well informed decision than a blind purchase. Let me know if I can answer anything else! Thanks

Appreciate 1
Lerxst M4142.00
      08-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #72
kevn23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

Yes, the car definitely has ENOUGH power now! Pretty much a tires shredder, especially in 60ish degree F temperature and DA ~0. I will do a more comprehensive write up when I get more seat time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #73
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Mike's detailed reply should be a sticky or FAQ. I see a lot of similar questions spread out/hidden in various threads.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #74
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Welll WoooWieee !!

im a Salesman and just by mike's responses im Sold lmfao...

all seriousness though thank you for the very detail'd response , the time taken to respond is enuff to realize that there is a commitment of product and quality that you obv stand behind!

so essentially you would tune for 650'ish hp at the rear wheel's w the new modd's i ment'd on 93 and running e85 whenever i want , will running e85 gimme a couple xtra been's like my piggy does ??

Also just to be clear not your personal nor any cust's car's are receiving DM's atall huh , hate to be a pia but in erly stage's of ecu flash's the flash's where cause DM's like crazzy even more than piggy's , it's was very frustrating ! and nvr wannna go thru tat agaiin !

ok i again really appreciate asweell as im sure the other member's that do/will/want the info stated in your reply !

will be in touch for sure , prolly sooner than later as ment'd trevor 's car is here already and just waiting for break in mileage to get his ecu's to you , hopefully you'll give us some sorto break on pricing if we do a few 2-3-4 cars together !

Much Thxx for your time

NEIL

Last edited by LI-M5; 08-27-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #75
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

I too am interested in a flash, no piggys for me. I am not interested in drilling though.

Can you provide some more detail, and maybe some before and after pics of the alternative method of opening them up?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #76
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Mike drills em, that is his preferred way. Puts a small cap back on to cover it. There was a thread on it somewhere, he posted pics actually.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #77
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You can either drill or cut the sealant material open. Most tuners will prefer to drill since its quicker. MissionPerformance can do both; I'm sure BPM has the same capability.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #78
kevn23
Private First Class
Rep

A little update, I put 3 gallons of e85 in and filled up the rest of the tank with 76 91. Had traction control going off in 3rd or 4th at 80mph...the car pulled stronger than yesterday.,maybe it's adapted more now.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #79
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Traction issues at 80? Oh my..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #80
kevn23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Traction issues at 80? Oh my..
Make that traction control going off 4th at ~100mph! After topping off with another 3 gallons of 100 octane fuel to full tank. Repeatable. So either these 305 PIRELLI isn't all that great or...

I'm thinking cup 2s next.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #81
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn23 View Post
Yes, the car definitely has ENOUGH power now! Pretty much a tires shredder, especially in 60ish degree F temperature and DA ~0. I will do a more comprehensive write up when I get more seat time.
Looking forward to your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Mike's detailed reply should be a sticky or FAQ. I see a lot of similar questions spread out/hidden in various threads.
Thank you. I should make a tuning FAQ thread.. Perhaps when I get back in town next week.

Quote:
Welll WoooWieee !!

im a Salesman and just by mike's responses im Sold lmfao...

all seriousness though thank you for the very detail'd response , the time taken to respond is enuff to realize that there is a commitment of product and quality that you obv stand behind!

so essentially you would tune for 650'ish hp at the rear wheel's w the new modd's i ment'd on 93 and running e85 whenever i want , will running e85 gimme a couple xtra been's like my piggy does ??

Also just to be clear not your personal nor any cust's car's are receiving DM's atall huh , hate to be a pia but in erly stage's of ecu flash's the flash's where cause DM's like crazzy even more than piggy's , it's was very frustrating ! and nvr wannna go thru tat agaiin !

ok i again really appreciate asweell as im sure the other member's that do/will/want the info stated in your reply !

will be in touch for sure , prolly sooner than later as ment'd trevor 's car is here already and just waiting for break in mileage to get his ecu's to you , hopefully you'll give us some sorto break on pricing if we do a few 2-3-4 cars together !

Much Thxx for your time

NEIL
My pleasure Neil. As far as E85, mixing in three gallons isn't an issue. I normally run 91 octane on mine with a pretty aggressive tune. It does ping a little bit which is expected (stock cars ping right out of the box). E85 will effectively raise the octane - and at the time same will require more fuel to maintain the targeted AFR. The good news is that the injectors still have plenty of room, and that the car will automatically adapt to this. So to answer your question, I do recommend mixing in 3 gallons or so of E85 where possible. After a short adaptation period, you'll notice the car will love it. I'm taking the M5 to Vegas for a conference tomorrow and am excited to put E85 in it again as they have stations all over the place. I've run up to 6 gallons of E85 in my car without any issues. I do prefer putting 100 octane in over E85 where possible, because you get the added effect of raising octane without needing more fuel volume to reach targeted fueling mixture - but E85 will do just fine in situations where this isn't possible.

And yes, to confirm, my car has never had a Drivetrain Malfunction in almost 10K miles, nor has the M5 I had prior to this one which was a 2014 with the mechanical wastegate. Any Drivetrain malfunctions would be as a result of an issue with the coil, plug, injector, or sensor, and not due to the software changes themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Mike drills em, that is his preferred way. Puts a small cap back on to cover it. There was a thread on it somewhere, he posted pics actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3 View Post
I too am interested in a flash, no piggys for me. I am not interested in drilling though.

Can you provide some more detail, and maybe some before and after pics of the alternative method of opening them up?
Drilling is a MUCH preferred method to opening the DME's for a number of reasons. There are capacitors, resistors, and other electrical components lining the edge of the DME, and opening them creates potential for damming these components. Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to open these without tweaking the casing slightly. Drilling is preferred because the entire seal stays intact, the ECU cover is not tweaked or bent at all, and the risk of damaging components is non-existent. On top of that, there is also epoxy on top of some of the capacitors which keep them held to the casing, and this has to be cut in order to remove the DME cover.

Drilling is much safer, and the way we do it ensures that no shavings enter the internals of the DME, as they are drilled upside down while being carefully vacuumed. At your request we can open them instead of drilling, but we strongly advise against this for safety and longevity reasons. For the drilled DME's, we have a specially designed press fit high temperature seal that will ensure the DME's stay clean and secure for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn23 View Post
Make that traction control going off 4th at ~100mph! After topping off with another 3 gallons of 100 octane fuel to full tank. Repeatable. So either these 305 PIRELLI isn't all that great or...

I'm thinking cup 2s next.
You might have to bring it back to be detuned! Glad you're enjoying it!

Appreciate 2
Lerxst M4142.00
Db750278.00
      08-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #82
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

Mike thank you as always for the thorough and articulate responses to questions. Sounds like upside down vacuum drilling is the safest way.

Quote:

Thank you. I should make a tuning FAQ thread.. Perhaps when I get back in town next week.

My pleasure Neil. As far as E85, mixing in three gallons isn't an issue. I normally run 91 octane on mine with a pretty aggressive tune. It does ping a little bit which is expected (stock cars ping right out of the box). E85 will effectively raise the octane - and at the time same will require more fuel to maintain the targeted AFR. The good news is that the injectors still have plenty of room, and that the car will automatically adapt to this. So to answer your question, I do recommend mixing in 3 gallons or so of E85 where possible. After a short adaptation period, you'll notice the car will love it. I'm taking the M5 to Vegas for a conference tomorrow and am excited to put E85 in it again as they have stations all over the place. I've run up to 6 gallons of E85 in my car without any issues. I do prefer putting 100 octane in over E85 where possible, because you get the added effect of raising octane without needing more fuel volume to reach targeted fueling mixture - but E85 will do just fine in situations where this isn't possible.

And yes, to confirm, my car has never had a Drivetrain Malfunction in almost 10K miles, nor has the M5 I had prior to this one which was a 2014 with the mechanical wastegate. Any Drivetrain malfunctions would be as a result of an issue with the coil, plug, injector, or sensor, and not due to the software changes themselves.

Drilling is a MUCH preferred method to opening the DME's for a number of reasons. There are capacitors, resistors, and other electrical components lining the edge of the DME, and opening them creates potential for damming these components. Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to open these without tweaking the casing slightly. Drilling is preferred because the entire seal stays intact, the ECU cover is not tweaked or bent at all, and the risk of damaging components is non-existent. On top of that, there is also epoxy on top of some of the capacitors which keep them held to the casing, and this has to be cut in order to remove the DME cover.

Drilling is much safer, and the way we do it ensures that no shavings enter the internals of the DME, as they are drilled upside down while being carefully vacuumed. At your request we can open them instead of drilling, but we strongly advise against this for safety and longevity reasons. For the drilled DME's, we have a specially designed press fit high temperature seal that will ensure the DME's stay clean and secure for years to come.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #83
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3
Mike thank you as always for the thorough and articulate responses to questions. Sounds like upside down vacuum drilling is the safest way.

Quote:

My pleasure! If anyone has any questions please feel free to let me know. A few people will be getting their DMEs back soon so hopefully they chime in.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #84
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
My pleasure! If anyone has any questions please feel free to let me know. A few people will be getting their DMEs back soon so hopefully they chime in.
Mike, do you have any packing tips once they're removed for shipping - bubble wrap or anything you recommend to keep them intact? Blue tape maybe covering the connectors?
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #85
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

This is definitely tempting. Subscribed for more reviews. Still breaking in the beast so I figure I still have some time to research lol...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #86
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Chris this going to make for good competition here. Congrats
Appreciate 1
Lerxst M4142.00
      08-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #87
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Chris this going to make for good competition here. Congrats
haha...still a month or so away brother, but it's going to happen.

Country Run here I come.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #88
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yea you've missed lots of runs man. But u need no tune to go on it
Appreciate 0