Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
zirotti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: lots

If I had to do it again, I'd order:

I've had my F10 M5 for about 3 days now. I believe I have every option, except the carbon ceramic brakes.

I'm glad I did, because now I know what I will and won't order next time. Hopefully this will help prospective buyers prioritize the option packs.

Will Order:
- Competition Package - or hopefully, the upgraded specs become standard in the next gen.
- DCT - it's just an amazing transmission and makes the experience in this car.
- Full Leather
- Executive Package - a car of this caliber needs it. The end.
- Lighting Package - the LED headlights are amazing.

Won't Order:
- Driver's Assistance pkg - it's pretty garbage TBH. Most of this stuff is standard in cars that cost 1/5th of what the M5 costs.

No Verdict Yet:
- Bang & Olufsen - while I think it sounds fantastic, I was also a huge fan of the upgraded Harmon Kardon option in my wife's X5. Acoustically, I personally don't notice any difference between the two. Cosmetically, it's a beautiful setup, with the machined grills and accent lights.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post
I've had my F10 M5 for about 3 days now. I believe I have every option, except the carbon ceramic brakes.

I'm glad I did, because now I know what I will and won't order next time. Hopefully this will help prospective buyers prioritize the option packs.

Will Order:
- Competition Package - or hopefully, the upgraded specs become standard in the next gen.
- Full Leather

Won't Order:
- Driver's Assistance pkg - it's pretty garbage TBH. Most of this stuff is standard in cars that cost 1/5th of what the M5 costs.

No Verdict Yet:
- Bang & Olufsen - while I think it sounds fantastic, I was also a huge fan of the upgraded Harmon Kardon option in my wife's X5. Acoustically, I personally don't notice any difference between the two. Cosmetically, it's a beautiful setup, with the machined grills and accent lights.

Any thoughts?
Take long drives with just you in the car and crank up the Bang & Olufsen with some of your favorite music through either the USB cable, hard drive, CD, or USB stick. The B&O is 4x the cost of the standard Harmon Kardon, but is 10x the performance.

Everybody I talk to says the DA package is not worth it, but I disagree. I didn't order it on my M5, and there have been many times, I wish I had it when I was driving really tired on the highway at 2am (wish I had the lane departure), or when parking in slanted parking spots with high curbs (wish I had the surround view cameras to help), and the speed limit display to help out in those situations where I know there is a lot of law enforcement around.

But yeah I think the Executive Package and the Drivers Assistance Package should come standard on a car like the M5. But hey there was a time when we didn't get front heated seats standard and now we always get that option for free. Things change. Let's see what comes standard on the next 7-Series, as that will be an indication of what may come standard on the next 5-Series.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

The B&O will grow on you....
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Well- am I the one one enjoying the top view camera? =(

I haven't drive a stock M5 but I may give up on the competition package (not sure how different steering ratio feels between stock vs. competition) and spend 7k for:
KW V3 and new tune and if any money left, put towards to new exhaust. =D

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I can't say that I'm a fan of the Harmon Kardon in the M5CP; it would probably work well in a BMW with less road noise (non-M F10, etc.). I was given an M5 demo for the day with B&O, but failed to listen to it (doh!).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Currently I'm driving a M5 and M6 both with different packages which gives a good comparison. When I purchased the M5 it included everything besides B&O as I thought it was not worth the option. The M6 has B&O and IMO is worth it based on sound quality and aesthetics of the grill and lighting. It gives a nice touch to the interior. Not to say that the stock system sucks as it is still good. I also thought that Drivers Assistance was not worth it. The M6 does not have DA and the fact that it doesn't drives me nuts not being able to use the overhead cameras to assist in parking the car in my 2 car garage. I also miss it when I like taking a corner spot and parking close to the curb as possible . DA also includes the speed limit info which is useful to avoid speeding tickets which in turn will pay for itself. Another feature I would also add is full leather as I have it on the M6 and wish I had it done on the 5. Majority of our view on our cars are within the cabin, so why not have make it look and feel nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I cant believe i nearly ordered this car without the executive package.
      05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
If I were to order again, this is what I would do:

Frozen Grey Individual
Individual Black Chrome exterior trim package
Individual Ceramic Controls
Opal White Individual Full Merino Leather with deviated stitching
Piano Black Trim
Executive Package
Driver's Assistance Package
343M Wheels
Bang and Olufsen
Sun Protection Glass
M Performance Pedals
DCT

Would not order:
Competition Package
Rear Seat Entertainment
Ceramic Brakes
Night Vision
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
zirotti
Private
United_States
Rep

Great info guys.

Yeah, I'm definitely not upset that I ordered the B&O. I actually popped in the CD that comes with the B&O system last night (first time in probably over 5 years I've listened to a CD) and was actually blown away by the clarity.

Driver's Assistance package would be worth it if it had Adaptive Cruise Control.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

I really like the Comp package and love the B&O. My wife has the HK in her X5 and the B&O is a clear step up to my ears. Glad I oredered it.

I pretty much ordered everything (incl Night Vision as I am on country roads early in the am very often) and I don't think I would change a thing. Still love the colours on mine (Frozen White on SO, black 343 rims) too. Awesome vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I have had my car for only four weeks and would do nothing differently. Having driven a Volvo V40 for a week now in Scotland with the driver's assistance package I definitely loathe it and I'm glad I didn't get it on my M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I have ceramic brakes on the 911 and love them. I drove a California for two weeks and wasn't a fan of the CCB's on it. Haven't driven the M5 with CCB.

The only DA I use is the blind spot (coded to work at low speed). Also recently coded my NV to always on and the coding makes it useful.

The speed limit display is very useful as well. You know what the speed limit is right away when a cop comes into view.
      05-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
varanj_16
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post

Will Order:
- Full Leather

Won't Order:

No Verdict Yet:

Any thoughts?
I am not sure how much of a magazine review fanboy you are, but yesterday i was watching this 7 series review (I will be getting an m5 though), where this guy repeatedly bashed negative stuff about "How WEIRD B&O sound system is as it's only good for oldies who love listening to piano crap" and dies on producing any good BASS - as you play any Hip-Hop, Trance or any music with thumping beats/bass on it" --> I am kind of worried now about bang & olufsen audio in M5 or any bimmer for that reason as i can live without a wheel but not with a bad sound system.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
///M5ForWin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I love the B&O and would definitely order it again. I'd get the driver's assistance package for the top down camera if nothing else. I wish the comp package had been available pre LCI, I definitely would have gotten that. I didn't get the rear seat entertainment because I don't need. The only thing I do have that I wish I didn't is the night vision. It has prevented me from changing my grill to the LCI one and it's pretty useless because you have to take your eyes off the road to watch the screen. If it was incorporated into the HUD somehow it would be much more useful in my opinion.
2011 X5 35d Black
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5ForWin View Post
I love the B&O and would definitely order it again. I'd get the driver's assistance package for the top down camera if nothing else. I wish the comp package had been available pre LCI, I definitely would have gotten that. I didn't get the rear seat entertainment because I don't need. The only thing I do have that I wish I didn't is the night vision. It has prevented me from changing my grill to the LCI one and it's pretty useless because you have to take your eyes off the road to watch the screen. If it was incorporated into the HUD somehow it would be much more useful in my opinion.
Rest assured.... NV will eventually be incorporated into HUD. It's only a matter of time.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

I had prior-gen HK in my last M5 and M3...now latest gen of HK in the X5 and B&O in my M5. No contest. The B&O is much more dynamic. I think you would need to spend a lot of $$$ to do better and the install may not look as attractive.

As for Night Vision, if something pops up on the screen, as I get closer I get the warning on the HUD. Next-gen will probably be better, but it's not bad and better than my own slowly diminishing night vision.

Mind you, when I am on dark country roads where there are a lot of deer etc, I am not ripping it up. At that more reasonable speed, I can comfortably glance at the full NV screen for more definition.

I could certainly do without the DA package if need be, but I don't mind them either. Handy sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #17
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 - Black Sapphire

My 2014 is loaded except NV.

DCT is amazing. CP comfort mode is a nice stiff. Sport and Sport+ is jarring. Sliding around in MDM mode is fun.

CCBs should work well on Laguna Seca in a few weeks. Super grabby. Not really necessary for the street though.

Like the B&O but love the engine sounds better. Cranking expanded mode is good. Studio mode is good for what? Pop up kind of looks like Heisenberg (Walter White).

Didn't much care for DA until collision detection saved my bacon on a wet highway in traffic. Paid for itself.

Maybe drop the CCB next time. We'll see after the track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
zirotti
Private
United_States
Rep

For those that did opt for the carbon ceramic brakes, did you lease?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
CCB - purchased. Almost no brake dust, look great, did not experience any fade at the track and they stop well. Will buy them again.

If your trying to get a m5 and it's a stretch financially then you can skip them, they are not a must have. If you will track with regular brakes you can change the brake lines to braided and change out the fluid to motul or Castrol.

Full leather is a must on the M5. It should be std if you ask me...
      05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02
CCB - purchased. Almost no brake dust, look great, did not experience any fade at the track and they stop well. Will buy them again.

If your trying to get a m5 and it's a stretch financially then you can skip them, they are not a must have. If you will track with regular brakes you can change the brake lines to braided and change out the fluid to motul or Castrol.

Full leather is a must on the M5. It should be std if you ask me...
CCB are awesome unless you ever need to replace the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #21
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If I were to order again, this is what I would do:

Frozen Grey Individual
Individual Black Chrome exterior trim package
Individual Ceramic Controls
Opal White Individual Full Merino Leather with deviated stitching
Piano Black Trim
Executive Package
Driver's Assistance Package
343M Wheels
Bang and Olufsen
Sun Protection Glass
M Performance Pedals
DCT

Would not order:
Competition Package
Rear Seat Entertainment
Ceramic Brakes
Night Vision
+1 on the M performance pedals

My ideal M5 would be comp package, CCB, individual Oxford Green on Sakhir Orange, 6 Speed Manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #22
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
* DA is useless (except speed limits) - would not order again

* B&O is absolutely worth it. Listen to high quality source and get your EQ right. Aftermarket would be better for money, but you'd have to hack up the iDrive system
Appreciate 0