M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

10-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

BMW Clear Coat vs Bird Droppings

This will be my first BMW and I've heard a lot about BMW's clear coat being very very sensitive. Someone told me that if bird droppings aren't removed in 3 days they can permanently damage the clear coat, is this true? Now obviously the sooner they are removed the better, but 3 days?????
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249 View Post
This will be my first BMW and I've heard a lot about BMW's clear coat being very very sensitive. Someone told me that if bird droppings aren't removed in 3 days they can permanently damage the clear coat, is this true? Now obviously the sooner they are removed the better, but 3 days?????
I had major goose droppings on my car last summer. It only took a day of baking in the sun to damage the paint. I needed a professional to remove the stain because I wasn't able to buff it out on my own.

Not sure if it was specific to BMW paint/clear coat, or if The damage would have happened with any car manufacturer. What I do know is that bird droppings are highly acidic and try to remove them ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
My detailer says this is an issue with all OEM paint jobs.

The best solution is to apply a sacrificial coating to protect the paint. A solid wax job will help, but even better is something like Opticoat or Wolf's Hard Body.
Appreciate 0