M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #23
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

JET black is really the richest looking black. All the metallic blacks never look quite right with the interior colors. Jerez looked great at dusk and horrible in direct sunlight and flat out clashed with the black nappa interior. Black and blue are not a flattering combination.

Jet black is elegant. It is sophisticated. It looks classy ALL the time. Keeping it looking good is quite simple. A good coat of carnauba, often, and the car looks good all the time. I learned you don't need to spend hours and hours detailing the car... but a quick wax on two or three panels when you wash it keeps the black deep and swirl free.

ANY interior color looks good with jet black, and depending on your interior choice a true black car can take on many different personalities from sporty to elegant.

The metallics are nice in the right combo, but there is nothing like a real honest to goodness black car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #24
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

darkest black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssciencess View Post
hey my name is danny, im new to this forum. Im in the process of getting the 2015 m5 just placed my order on the 31st of jan. Nonetheless, im having a hard time trying to pick the darkest black. on my order the sales person at the dealship told me sapphire black was the darkest one but after seeing pictures online ive seen others look darker than the sapphire. the citrin kind of looks darker but also pearly like and like tint orange or brownish. if you can please help me that would beof great help. Thank you
For sure 100% the darkest black you could get is the jet black, which means that there is nothing added to the mix ( tints, metallics, flakes ). I have done a bit of painting myself so that what's making me sort of an expert.
Don't know if BMW offers that straight color though, the reason being that it is extremely difficult to keep that paintwork perfect ( scratch free ) and after few months without regular keep up it will look slightly greyish, but .... with a bit of flake, metallic add-ons, it will hide a lot of that, and still maintain the luxurious look of black paintwork. Basically BMW is making most of us satisfied for years to come, the question that I would have for them is how to hell are WE supposed enjoy our frozen colors ( maintenance wise )
I just went to our Toronto auto show, and I saw M6 with a frozen paintwork, well, someone getting in put a nice scratch on the quarter panel, what to hell they are going to do with that ???
Hope I did not go off too much of the main subject.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #25
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

brownish black?
      02-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #26
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
brownish black?
Yes, that's one way to describe citron black. Azurite black is a bluish black or simply a very, very dark navy blue. Carbon black is black that has a bluish glow to it in sunlight. Black sapphire is a metallic black that looks like a very dark metallic gray when placed next to a jet black car, which is BMW's basic black that they have had forever.

Jet black is not metallic. I have had half a dozen jet black cars with black interiors. For some reason I end up liking either jet black or one of the blues. I have never really cared much for black sapphire, which first came out in the late '80's or early '90's.

Truthfully, they're all beautiful colors and which one you like is simply a matter of personal taste. Citron black goes well with brown interiors.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:54 AM   #27
ssciencess
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 m3 .. 2015 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineF10 View Post
For sure 100% the darkest black you could get is the jet black, which means that there is nothing added to the mix ( tints, metallics, flakes ). I have done a bit of painting myself so that what's making me sort of an expert.
Don't know if BMW offers that straight color though, the reason being that it is extremely difficult to keep that paintwork perfect ( scratch free ) and after few months without regular keep up it will look slightly greyish, but .... with a bit of flake, metallic add-ons, it will hide a lot of that, and still maintain the luxurious look of black paintwork. Basically BMW is making most of us satisfied for years to come, the question that I would have for them is how to hell are WE supposed enjoy our frozen colors ( maintenance wise )
I just went to our Toronto auto show, and I saw M6 with a frozen paintwork, well, someone getting in put a nice scratch on the quarter panel, what to hell they are going to do with that ???
Hope I did not go off too much of the main subject.

ya it really sucks i was hoping for jet black,it looks so much better aside from being a lot of work to maintain it looking good. BMW should let us at least have jet black as an option and let us worry about maintaining cause right now im spending all this money on the m5 for a color im not too happy with. There are nice colors that you can pick from but its all preference. Ive been waiting on my f10 since jan 30 when i placed the order and it just went into production march 13 to be completed on the 19th so im hoping i can it before may and if im not happy with that saphire black imma have to just wrap it in jetblack lol waste of money but i be damn im driving a car with a color i dont like. As for the frozen colors thats something i wonder how would maintain those like in the situation you mentioned. those paint jobs would have to be done right cause the slightest shade off would be so noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think ruby black is the best of the blacks BMW do I would imagine they would paint the car in that for a price.

It really pops in the sunlight.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #29
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

You can get jet black on the M5. It's just a matter of special order and $$$.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #30
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
jett black is nice and when it's waxed it looks amazing. But and it's a big but, Bmw non metallic paints are very soft and Swirl marks are very easy to get.

My 550i looked like someone went over it with a metal brush. My current M5 has black sapphire and it has virtually no swirl marks.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #31
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think ruby black is the best of the blacks BMW do I would imagine they would paint the car in that for a price.

It really pops in the sunlight.

Love my Ruby Black model.
But also had Sapphire Black before and both are great in their own way.

Ruby gets nicer the larger the vehicle. Dont know a better colour for the 7 Series.
      03-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #32
ssciencess
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
You can get jet black on the M5. It's just a matter of special order and $$$.

i tried to get jet black the sales person told me i could get than a few days later calls me back to tell me they dont do jet black that saphire was the darkest black i can get ... i would of never thought building your car would be this frustrating. The same with the black kidney grill, i get a call saying i cant have black kidney grill with the night vision so i said ok so take night vision off cause i rather the grill since i probably would never use night vision to begin with to get another call a few days later that i cant do the either cause i have the piano finish and in order to take the night vision i would have to remove the piano finish which would then move my car to the back of the line and would have to wait longer to get it. Now once i get it i have to get the grill painted when they could of just painted them at the damn factor. Question the black rims that come with it are they matte black or gloss black? hoping they are gloss black or else imma have to paint those too lol... i called to check today and my car was being transfered to port of exit so hopefully i dont sit at the port for 2 weeks like if heard for others. And the ruby black does like very nice
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #33
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I still say you could have jet black with an individual order. There are others who have done so. No matter, your car is built, as is mine.

Mine has been at the dock since the 11th. I am not sure if it made the ship that left port on the 18th. So far my VIN is not registering as shipped. But sometimes there is a delay. The next ship bound for USA is 3/26. So your car cannot ship before then.

The factory black rims are closer to matte than gloss.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #34
ssciencess
Enlisted Member
Rep

you got yours in jet black? i guess its on these damn sales peopel than and mine didnt do what he had to get me get black thats some bs lol ... hopefully yours left on the 18th when did you order yours? i placed my order on the 30th of jan and it said it went into production on the 13th of march. if the 26 is the next ship out ill be happy if mine gets on that one cause then i should be able to get it middle of april and not the end pushing to may.. how do you check when the next ships leave if you dont mind me asking so i can keep track.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #35
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

No, I got MCB. I said I know others who ordered jet black.

You can find all you need to know about tracking here:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680284

I don't recall my order date, but it arrived at the dock on the 11th.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
ssciencess
Enlisted Member
Rep

oh ok thank you
Appreciate 0