BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
m5bbq
Private
Rep
Drives: M5's

ready for power upgrade

I am wanting some power upgrades. I live in Cali with 91 octane gas. I am thinking catless downpipe. I would do intake if you guys think it'll be helpful. what do you guys recommend for upgrades? and for those that have installed the pipes yourselves (not by a shop), what brand did you have zero fitment issues with? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
JMLM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5bbq View Post
I am wanting some power upgrades. I live in Cali with 91 octane gas. I am thinking catless downpipe. I would do intake if you guys think it'll be helpful. what do you guys recommend for upgrades? and for those that have installed the pipes yourselves (not by a shop), what brand did you have zero fitment issues with? thanks!
Do catless downpipes/Bootmod3 Stage 2 tune and the last thing you will think about is wanting more power...I wouldn't stress over the downpipe brand as they mostly are the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
MFM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Quote:
I am wanting some power upgrades. I live in Cali with 91 octane gas. I am thinking catless downpipe.
Can you remove the cats and still pass Cali inspection?
'09 Black Challenger SRT -- sold | '98 Artic Silver M3 -- sold
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
JMLM5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFM5 View Post
Can you remove the cats and still pass Cali inspection?
No
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
m5bbq
Private
Rep
Drives: M5's

Thanks for feedbacks. I'll be registering it for my vacation home in AZ. No emission check. I hear about some fitment issues with some dp brand based on some youtube videos. I drove it today for hours, and I tell myself over and over this is plenty fast, but I don't know why I want it faster at the cost of stinking up my garage & annoying neighbors lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
JMLM5
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for feedbacks. I'll be registering it for my vacation home in AZ. No emission check. I hear about some fitment issues with some dp brand based on some youtube videos. I drove it today for hours, and I tell myself over and over this is plenty fast, but I don't know why I want it faster at the cost of stinking up my garage & annoying neighbors lol.
I hesitated in pulling the trigger due to the smell but it is not that bad. If the car is stationary and you have the windows open you can smell it. The tune can remove the cold start higher RPM so the noise won't bother your neighbors.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

I installed AMS catted downpipes which do not appear to be on the market anymore, so the fitment issue is moot. I was catless in my e46 m3 for a short while and my wife complained enough about the smell, so I went back. I went with Mike at BPM Sport for the tune and he was great to work with. The rest of the exhaust is stock and it's my daily so I think it gives the car the right amount of noise for me. And I leave home at 6am...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
itsmejson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
I installed AMS catted downpipes which do not appear to be on the market anymore, so the fitment issue is moot. I was catless in my e46 m3 for a short while and my wife complained enough about the smell, so I went back. I went with Mike at BPM Sport for the tune and he was great to work with. The rest of the exhaust is stock and it's my daily so I think it gives the car the right amount of noise for me. And I leave home at 6am...
I just sent an inquiry to BPMsports and waiting to hear back regarding a stage 1 tune. The previous owner had a DMEtune that was lost recently when I took vehicle to BMW service to get head unit replaced.

I too use mine as a daily driver. Any issues with wearing out your DCT clutch? Which stage are your running?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #9
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post
I just sent an inquiry to BPMsports and waiting to hear back regarding a stage 1 tune. The previous owner had a DMEtune that was lost recently when I took vehicle to BMW service to get head unit replaced.

I too use mine as a daily driver. Any issues with wearing out your DCT clutch? Which stage are your running?
I believe we decided on Stg 1 since I had cats, but they are higher flowing than the stock cats. He implied Stg 1 would be plenty of power for my needs. At this point, traction is the bigger problem. No issues yet with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 03:01 PM   #10
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
CTS Turbo, I went with them

Perfect fitment

Great quality and sound

Also has a good heating shield
Appreciate 0