Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Coolant loss or normal water loss

Hi guys

Something strange happened about a week ago..

Driving along and I get a low coolant warning...Pop off to BMW to buy some coolant and when I turn the engine back on the warning light is now off..

Checked the coolant levels. On the main reservoir (i.e. on the left when you open the bonnet) the coolant level is good and for the reservoir on the right hand side I couldn't actually make out where the min and max levels were. I topped up about 1/4 of a litre anyway to be sure after speaking to BMW

Ive driven 100 miles since then, no errors and the coolant level does not appear to be getting lower (but its difficult as I say to make out the level on the right hand side reservoir).

It has however been really hot in London lately and I've been driving with the A/C on full...Ive noticed that there is a puddle of some kind of water based substance leaking under the car... It does not smell of anything and doesn't appear to have a colour... Could this fluid therefore simply be water coming from the A/C unit or could there still be a coolant leak somewhere...If there was a coolant leak and with 100 miles of driving I would have expected to see the coolant levels to drop by now and for a warning to show but this does not appear to have happened

Any thoughts? I have to admit the only reason Im thinking coolant is because of the original warning light but perhaps this warning was thrown in error as it seemed to delete itself without me actually doing anything at first
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
Hi guys

Something strange happened about a week ago..

Driving along and I get a low coolant warning...Pop off to BMW to buy some coolant and when I turn the engine back on the warning light is now off..

Checked the coolant levels. On the main reservoir (i.e. on the left when you open the bonnet) the coolant level is good and for the reservoir on the right hand side I couldn't actually make out where the min and max levels were. I topped up about 1/4 of a litre anyway to be sure after speaking to BMW

Ive driven 100 miles since then, no errors and the coolant level does not appear to be getting lower (but its difficult as I say to make out the level on the right hand side reservoir).

It has however been really hot in London lately and I've been driving with the A/C on full...Ive noticed that there is a puddle of some kind of water based substance leaking under the car... It does not smell of anything and doesn't appear to have a colour... Could this fluid therefore simply be water coming from the A/C unit or could there still be a coolant leak somewhere...If there was a coolant leak and with 100 miles of driving I would have expected to see the coolant levels to drop by now and for a warning to show but this does not appear to have happened

Any thoughts? I have to admit the only reason Im thinking coolant is because of the original warning light but perhaps this warning was thrown in error as it seemed to delete itself without me actually doing anything at first
What year an how many miles on your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Its a 2011 UK spec, 45k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have the coolant lines been replaced? There was a recall along time ago because they used to be rubber.

See top of my Engine the lines wrapped in heat shield. Originally they were rubber and would leak.

If there is a leak there you will see on top of the engine cover in back in between DME's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have the coolant lines been replaced? There was a recall along time ago because they used to be rubber.

See top of my Engine the lines wrapped in heat shield. Originally they were rubber and would leak.

If there is a leak there you will see on top of the engine cover in back in between DME's
Zoomed in
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

Sounds like normal A/c condensation.....it's been 85f in London lately (according to my family) so would be indicative of a/c run off especially if clear and no smell.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick997 View Post
Sounds like normal A/c condensation.....it's been 85f in London lately (according to my family) so would be indicative of a/c run off especially if clear and no smell.
Holy hell thats hot for London. Haha
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I had the same problem. About a thousand miles ago, the low coolant light went off and the visual check I had, the coolant level was ok. No signs of real leak. Then about 500 miles ago, it would go off intermittently here and there.

The problem was my coolant cap, and coolant tank not holding enough pressure which triggered the light. They replaced the tank and cap assembly and now everything is perfect.

I have a 2015 with 32k on the clock.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

1 week on and I haven't had to top up and there hasn't been any warning lights...Ive probably put 300 miles on the car as well
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
waybar17
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93M3, F10 M5, E70X5, F11

Garage List
Quote:

Was it a full recall? Do you know the recall number?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

That's A/C condensation... Here in Texas it's under every car just about year round lol
Appreciate 0