M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Which Tune is for me ?

Sorry I know there are a million threads like this, but I was looking for some input.

I am a new owner of a 2013 BMW M5 M6, absolutely LOVE the car. It's my first BMW and I do not think I could ever go back. A car this comfortable and powerful that I drive year round with winter tires... a dream come true!

The only thing I would say comparing this to my previous cars which were all American Muscle "Corvette, Mustang, Challenger, etc.", that the engine note isn't near as sexy.

Anyways I am trying to decide my next steps for getting a bit more power out of the car. My goal is to hit around 650 Rwhp, however I am stuck on deciding between the following options:

1) An Evolve tune from a local dealer here in Edmonton "EEC Motors". Problem is I would be going with the Stage 1+, and not the Stage 2 as I from what I heard our cars sound quite obnoxious with downpipes. My fear is this would generate a lot of negative attention, and ruin the "refinement" of the BMW M5 experience.

Also I have not heard of an example of our vehicles with downpipes sounding as mean as a vette or a hemi as an example.

My fear with Stage 1+ is it's not enough power for me probably only putting down 580-600 RWHP.

2) Jb4 + BCM . I am not the most technical when it comes to have piggy back systems win cars. I am still a bit hesitant thinking back to when I had a standalone EMS in my supra and blow the motor running too lean.

I realize with this route I could make 700 rwhp + on a stock car however I am just confused on how to get there.

Would I get a full reflash such as the evolve Stage 1 and than add in the JB4 + BCM just to up the boost? What are the risks in doing this regarding the reliability of the vehicle? Is there a risk I could input a boost level too high and blow the engine, or ruin the turbos?

Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated, money isn't the issue. I just want to achieve my horsepower goals without impact the daily drivability of this awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Check out my Review

Review on Different Tunes
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Check out my Review

Review on Different Tunes
Thanks will take a look and let you know!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

I appreciate all the feedback guys via PM's.

Seams like JB4 is the route to go. Only question I have is should I do the BCM ?

How user friendly is the JB4+BCM after I get a shop to do the install. Do I just set it to Map 2 and forget it ?

Can I customize it and choose lower boost for gears 1 & 2?

Lower boost for comfort mode vs m mode ?

Can I do Map 2+ without intake or downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11
I appreciate all the feedback guys via PM's.

Seams like JB4 is the route to go. Only question I have is should I do the BCM ?

How user friendly is the JB4+BCM after I get a shop to do the install. Do I just set it to Map 2 and forget it ?

Can I customize it and choose lower boost for gears 1 & 2?

Lower boost for comfort mode vs m mode ?

Can I do Map 2+ without intake or downpipes?
Best to do it Dyno tweak if. You may see throttle closures on graph if not tweak.
But Not Alot of guys do spend time tweaking it through dyno.

I dnt mean tweaking to get max numbers i meant tweak to smooth out the curve on your jb
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I'm in the same situation and have decided that JB4+BCM is the way to go for my personal needs on my otherwise stock '16 M5. Planning on setting it to Map 2 (~22psi) for everyday (93 octane), and map 7 (~25psi) if I decide to run race gas/meth. Well see how that does, and can always work on a custom map in the future to dial it in better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Best to do it Dyno tweak if. You may see throttle closures on graph if not tweak.

I dnt mean tweaking to get max numbers i meant tweak to smooth out the curve on your jb
This kind of stuff intimidates me. The closest tuner with a dyno would probably be a few of the shops in Calgary.

Meaning if I just buy the JB4 hit map 2 it wont be as reliable as it needs to be ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11
Quote:

This kind of stuff intimidates me. The closest tuner with a dyno would probably be a few of the shops in Calgary.

Meaning if I just buy the JB4 hit map 2 it wont be as reliable as it needs to be ?
From I/we've seen, nope very inconsistent.
It maybe worth the tweak
You have to understand , Every Car Is Different.!
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You have the option to customize the JB4 but it works well with stock settings too

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0