M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Reputable Tuner's Comments on Intakes

This comes from a reputable source (otherwise I wouldn't post it). I asked around and got various answers, but the one that really stood out was this one as I had been shopping for an intake. The tuner that made the following comments deals with high HP cars on a daily basis and can offer intakes but doesn't recommend them.

-haven't tested/dynoed an intake that made more HP than the stock intake (Some high HP M5's are running around with stock intakes, imagine that). MSR not mentioned; they make intake with filters behind kidneys

-Engine whoosh sound is greatly improved with intakes, some at the cost of HP (lost HP can be made up on the tune, catless DPs)

-BMW has done an incredible job engineering their intakes (to the detriment of sound quality)

-BMS makes power on the dyno because of open hood, when driving it's affected by heat soak. Sounds amazing, though

-Even aftermarket closed intake systems lose power (again, due to superior BMW engineering)

-Does not recommend drop in filters that are oiled due to issues with MAF sensor. They can make max 10 HP, but it's not worth it as oil in the MAF will cause the car to run sluggish

If I lost 1-5 HP, I would be perfectly fine with it as long as I got to hear the loud whoosh. Since I won't be tracking/racing my car I might just go with the aftermarket intake that looks good under the hood and while driving (nod to MSR). I'm not saying MSR loses power as the tuner made no mention of their design, I think M6Beast posted dyno charts proving gains with that intake.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Yep, MSR dyno and track proven
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

You're correct. BMW makes very efficient intakes. You're not going to see gains with aftermarket intakes if your car is completely stock, the advantage of high performance intakes come when the air demand surpasses the OEM intakes and filters specs. Usually the numbers are realized at the very top end of the rev range.

Many intake vendors compare stock filter/stock intakes with aftermarket intakes system, then running them with the hood on or a fan blasting at it just the correct angle.

It would be very hard to beat BMW stock intakes with BMS filters. However, the stock filters are flat which real-estate is limited. A cone style filters would be more suited for higher air volume demand, but it needs to be protected from the ambient engine bay temp.

Ideal intakes:
- Not made of metal to reduce heat soak
- Cone filters
- Protected by a box or have feed to fresh air
- Velocity Stack

Venturi seems to be the most promising and wins the design award in my book. It's made of carbon fiber to prevent heat soak, has cone filters, has velocity stacks, and has access to fresh air port. (check, check, check, and check)

The guys who run MSR swears by it as well. However, I haven't seen real world data by a 3rd party unbiased vendor. I would love to see dyno results on a stock intake with BMS vs MSR. Both cars should have the exact same mods, tunes, and fuel. No fan tricks and no open hood.

MSR reminds of JWT Pop Charger Intakes. I had them on my 350z in college, they were the best sounding and performance intakes for the money. The sound was addicting, so that's a great design to copy. However, it was $300 and not $3,000. (see below)
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 03-16-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

You can always clean your MAF sensor - in any case the MAF isn't even used at WOT so other than a ratty idle and maybe a code... who cares if it's coated in oil...!

I have dyno'd with the MAFs unplugged - no loss in power when WOT.

BTW don't compare NA intake design to FI.

Last edited by allmotor_2000; 03-16-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I would love to see dyno results on a stock intake with BMS vs MSR. Both cars should have the exact same mods, tunes, and fuel. No fan tricks and no open hood.
I have dyno'd all combinations - I am not going to specify details as it tends to create some anxiety on this board. I run the stock boxes because I like the OEM look
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #6
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
(Some high HP M5's are running around with stock intakes, imagine that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
I run the stock boxes because I like the OEM look

I'd love to pick your brain offline

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
I ran the BMS intake on this pass

you ran 9.9x @140 using BMS?? Which intake were you using when you ran 142?

Last edited by TheHouseWon; 03-17-2016 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

After market intakes are one of the biggest scams in the modding world, with the exception of a couple that actually increase air flow, but they look ugly. Been saying this for years, and I feel bad for people who spend thousands on intakes when new cars come out.

Appreciate 2
      03-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
This comes from a reputable source (otherwise I wouldn't post it). I asked around and got various answers, but the one that really stood out was this one as I had been shopping for an intake. The tuner that made the following comments deals with high HP cars on a daily basis and can offer intakes but doesn't recommend them.

-haven't tested/dynoed an intake that made more HP than the stock intake (Some high HP M5's are running around with stock intakes, imagine that). MSR not mentioned; they make intake with filters behind kidneys

-Engine whoosh sound is greatly improved with intakes, some at the cost of HP (lost HP can be made up on the tune, catless DPs)

-BMW has done an incredible job engineering their intakes (to the detriment of sound quality)

-BMS makes power on the dyno because of open hood, when driving it's affected by heat soak. Sounds amazing, though

-Even aftermarket closed intake systems lose power (again, due to superior BMW engineering)

-Does not recommend drop in filters that are oiled due to issues with MAF sensor. They can make max 10 HP, but it's not worth it as oil in the MAF will cause the car to run sluggish

If I lost 1-5 HP, I would be perfectly fine with it as long as I got to hear the loud whoosh. Since I won't be tracking/racing my car I might just go with the aftermarket intake that looks good under the hood and while driving (nod to MSR). I'm not saying MSR loses power as the tuner made no mention of their design, I think M6Beast posted dyno charts proving gains with that intake.

Your thoughts?

all these aftermarket intakes, make you spend money!..lmao

if you are looking for the "Whoosh " sound then by all means spend the money.

aftermarket intakes are in my view only for Looks,Sound.

My Intakes didn't lost power,it gained sound which I'm ok with, as long as you don't loose more than 10hp I'm ok with.

personally I don't think we should expect any gains from aftermarket intakes except looks, but IF you gained something then thats a bonus.
you can dyno it before and after, but some intakes will or won't improve through dyno, but some will improve through driving speed.

here is mine, I just wanted to have the whoosh sound and didn't care about gains as long as it looks good.

heres some Sound During pulls

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Your boy still never got back to me on pricing for custom intakes. I thought precision was a serious shop. I even called and they basically said they were too busy and to call later lol.

They must be building so many intakes that they don't have time for new customers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Your boy still never got back to me on pricing for custom intakes. I thought precision was a serious shop. I even called and they basically said they were too busy and to call later lol.

They must be building so many intakes that they don't have time for new customers
You want power, sound, oem fitment, no cel, Email info@mstreetracing.com, at least you can see all the data testing take care
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I was there when you called Carlos, and yes they were busy at the Time Kevin just finished tuning a Mercedes that surpass other tunes out there. i will relay this message but you never called back i think ..i was there till 9pm.lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
I was there when you called Carlos, and yes they were busy at the Time Kevin just finished tuning a Mercedes that surpass other tunes out there. i will relay this message but you never called back i think ..i was there till 9pm.lol
No offense, but if it takes over a week to get a price quote on a basic mod--and I still don't know how much they want for them--then it's not a place to do business with.

How long does it take to text, pm, or say "$,$$$"?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
After market intakes are one of the biggest scams in the modding world, with the exception of a couple that actually increase air flow, but they look ugly. Been saying this for years, and I feel bad for people who spend thousands on intakes when new cars come out.
Yep, buy it for sound and look. If you are going to spend $2k, might as well get CF bling. Otherwise, throw in BMC filters with OEM box or BMS intakes will do.
      03-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No offense, but if it takes over a week to get a price quote on a basic mod--and I still don't know how much they want for them--then it's not a place to do business with.

How long does it take to text, pm, or say "$,$$$"?
Reason why is, they are still thinking wether to sell them as an Individual item or sell it along withe the Tune.

but if you can't wait, there is other aftermarket Intakes out there that are pre made already and ready to ship.

I know,it sucks waiting, but my wait is worth it! the intakes help my car breathe better to MAKE 760WHP/730WTRQ !! on 23lbs

if you think you can make more from others,suggest to go with them.

these guys just dnt want to sell intakes to make money from them, they want to attend to each 1 client at a time in perfecting a perfect Tune with Perfect Mods for each and Every Car, and make sure the stuff works so that if they put it on their cars it does exactly what it needs to do.
if you can't wait by all means

BMS
MSR
AFE
are available ready to ship.

Last edited by NightM; 03-19-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
these guys just dnt want to make money

BMS
MSR
AFE