05-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Light color Merino leather marking issue

All,

I read a lot of post here regarding jean marking on the light color Merino leather. I didn't think it would be an issue until I saw for my self on one of the M5 from BMW on demand program in Munich. Champagne Quartz on Champagne with piano black individual with 10k KM on the dial.

You can clearly see the marking on the driver side bucket seat, where you rub in and out. See attached. I personally love the Silverstone leather over black leather, but this really worries me. I spoke to the BMW on demand guy who works there everyday checking in/out cars, and he said usually after 1 week of use for the on demand program, the leather will get this marking from jeans and won't come off....

Will this happen to Silverstone? How do you guys take care of this? I'm not a guy that'll likely clean the seat every other week... :S and if this is the case I may have to settle on a black interior which is not ideal. Please comment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
It's why I chose black for my seats in both our newest cars. I had cream and my wife had tan in the previous 535 and X5, they picked up the dye from dark clothes. Doesn't just have to be jeans. Anyway, you can't notice it on black.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The BMW on demand guy said that BMW made these colors for show to attract people, but the leather is really fine and will be soften over time likely to pick up dye. He said don't get light interior for your own car.. i'm kind of disappointed as I had my heart set on Silverstone for my own car later.

I understand at BMW on demand, the car probably take on beating from all the renters, but didn't think will be this bad after 10k clicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
It's why I chose black for my seats in both our newest cars. I had cream and my wife had tan in the previous 535 and X5, they picked up the dye from dark clothes. Doesn't just have to be jeans. Anyway, you can't notice it on black.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Wow, I have silverstone and I typically wear jeans. I have had my car 6 months and my seats have hardly anything on them. I do clean them at least monthly with Lexol cleaner and then I apply conditioner. I do not know how safe this is but I sometimes will use glass cleaner on them if there is a mark. I then apply conditioner after that because my assumption is glass cleaner will pull moisture out of the leather. One time I discovered blue pen ink in a couple of spots after I valeted my car. Leather cleaner and glass cleaner did not fully get it out. I then used rubbing alcohol and it totally cleaned it. Again, I do not know how safe the alcohol is for leather but it did not cause me any damage. If you use it I would apply conditioner afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
The BMW on demand guy said that BMW made these colors for show to attract people, but the leather is really fine and will be soften over time likely to pick up dye. He said don't get light interior for your own car.. i'm kind of disappointed as I had my heart set on Silverstone for my own car later.

I understand at BMW on demand, the car probably take on beating from all the renters, but didn't think will be this bad after 10k clicks?
I can't remember how long it took, less than a year for sure and most likely just a few months. I was always wiping the leather down with the wipes on my side. I had Dakota in the 535 and you just couldn't get rid of all the marks. When I turned the car in, the passenger side was nearly like new while the driver side was dark even after being cleaned regularly.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
All,

I read a lot of post here regarding jean marking on the light color Merino leather. I didn't think it would be an issue until I saw for my self on one of the M5 from BMW on demand program in Munich. Champagne Quartz on Champagne with piano black individual with 10k KM on the dial.

You can clearly see the marking on the driver side bucket seat, where you rub in and out. See attached. I personally love the Silverstone leather over black leather, but this really worries me. I spoke to the BMW on demand guy who works there everyday checking in/out cars, and he said usually after 1 week of use for the on demand program, the leather will get this marking from jeans and won't come off....

Will this happen to Silverstone? How do you guys take care of this? I'm not a guy that'll likely clean the seat every other week... :S and if this is the case I may have to settle on a black interior which is not ideal. Please comment.
You seem to have chosen a light color leather than not maintained it at all. This is what happens. I have Platinum which is the lightest leather you can get on the M5, and my seats look new after 8000 miles. You need to prepare the leather and look after it regularly.

Given the situation you are in, you should probably get a professional to clean it up. However if you want to try it yourself first here is what I recommend:

1) Conduct a top level cleaning to get rid of surface dirt first. I use this:
http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html

2) Use a dye transfer remover to get rid of the denim dye - Leather Masters Dy Transfer Remover. I recommend this one although I haven't used it since I protect my seats from day 1. Follow the instructions - I would imagine you have to work it in since this isn't surface dirt
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-mast...r-remover.html

3) Then apply a dye transfer barrier. In your case I would use 2 of them just to be sure. I don't wear jeans although I do wear black chinos and cargos so I use the leather barrier product. If you wear jeans also use ink stop first.
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-barrier.html
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-ink-stop.html

4) Finally use this product in the matte version for more regular sun protection to keep leather soft and supple, and prevent fading. I would suggest every 4 weeks in the summer.
http://shop.unitersna.com/collection...otection-cream

And going forward, just clean your seats more regularly to prevent dye buildup. The barrier should make it possible to remove and dye with just the regular cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It depends on how good an eye you have. I can certainly notice it on black. You end up with 2 shades of black on your seats - the part which is clean and the part with dye transfer. Look at any car with black leather and you will notice it. Generally 3 year old cars with black leather are the dirtiest cars you find because nobody ever cleans them since they are black.

BTW there are 5 or 6 shades of black in the car even without ordering black leather.

Name:  m5-centerconsole.jpg
Views: 6124
Size:  142.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks Stealth for the detail steps...

ya... I guess that's the only way or plastic covering like grandma for the low maintenance option
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Stealth, what do you do if you clean often for up keep? say once a month?
just step 1 below is sufficient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You seem to have chosen a light color leather than not maintained it at all. This is what happens. I have Platinum which is the lightest leather you can get on the M5, and my seats look new after 8000 miles. You need to prepare the leather and look after it regularly.

Given the situation you are in, you should probably get a professional to clean it up. However if you want to try it yourself first here is what I recommend:

1) Conduct a top level cleaning to get rid of surface dirt first. I use this:
http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html

2) Use a dye transfer remover to get rid of the denim dye - Leather Masters Dy Transfer Remover. I recommend this one although I haven't used it since I protect my seats from day 1. Follow the instructions - I would imagine you have to work it in since this isn't surface dirt
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-mast...r-remover.html

3) Then apply a dye transfer barrier. In your case I would use 2 of them just to be sure. I don't wear jeans although I do wear black chinos and cargos so I use the leather barrier product. If you wear jeans also use ink stop first.
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-barrier.html
http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-ink-stop.html

4) Finally use this product in the matte version for more regular sun protection to keep leather soft and supple, and prevent fading. I would suggest every 4 weeks in the summer.
http://shop.unitersna.com/collection...otection-cream

And going forward, just clean your seats more regularly to prevent dye buildup. The barrier should make it possible to remove and dye with just the regular cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
My first car had tanned interior and I remember myself cleaning the jean stain twice a week.
I went with black interior this time with mine and I took care of it as if it was white interior and my wife calls me that I'm a Psycho for that.
For a week untill the accident happened, I don't recall myself wearing the jeans but Lulu pants.
I avoid wearing jeans as much as possible especially the True Religion because not only they will leave the stain but also those back pocket button marks on the seat. I put towel on the seat when I really really really really wanna wear the jeans and I tell my wife no jeans in my car. Me and my wife try not to wash our jeans but dry clean once in a while to keep the jeans washing remain as genuine as possilbe so i assume they would leave the stain like the new pair of jeans lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsama86 View Post
I went with black interior this time with mine and I took care of it as if it was white interior and my wife calls me that I'm a Psycho.
respect
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stealth, what do you do if you clean often for up keep? say once a month?
just step 1 below is sufficient?
Well I think you need to tailor it to the situation. Most people would just spot clean and condition when they see marks and do a full cleaning once a quarter. That's probably good enough.

If you are a perfectionist: I inspect the leather every time I wash the car (once a week) and look for any marks. Given the protection I laid down as a foundation, these marks tend to wipe right off. I just apply come cleaner and wipe with a medium plush microfiber cloth.

My monthly routine is usually to just clean the front seats and the apply the matte protectant to all the leather surfaces. I clean the rear seats if they have been used, but my rear seats are very rarely used.

In the summer I am also applying protectant to the dash leather every 2 weeks because of the sun but will dial that down once I have the windshield tinted.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I'm always puzzled by these threads. I've had silverstone full leather twice. I have none of the issues described here. I use basic BMW leather cleaner every once in a while. I don't wear jeans everyday, but often enough and my seats look perfect.

The only area that gets scuffed a bit is the lower door area where folks sometimes push with their feet to open the door. Still easy to clean up though.
      05-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It depends on how good an eye you have. I can certainly notice it on black. You end up with 2 shades of black on your seats - the part which is clean and the part with dye transfer. Look at any car with black leather and you will notice it. Generally 3 year old cars with black leather are the dirtiest cars you find because nobody ever cleans them since they are black.

BTW there are 5 or 6 shades of black in the car even without ordering black leather.
I am sure you are the type of person that has the most discerning eye. Mine is not so sharp. However, as I mentioned in the previous post, I couldn't get the cream color back to the original condition after a point. That point was less than a year and maybe as little as six months. While I agree with you about trashed black interiors, I will be keeping mine clean. Not compulsively or meticulously but regularly. So I expect it to hold up fairly well.

In regard to the monochromatic aspect of black, well to me, the black with dark wood is a fairly luxurious combination. Here is what I really like but it doesn't work with silver and I never found it with a white M5. This is a car I almost bought. It's a 2012 12kmi, 740i Individual with every option you can name. It was $105k MSRP and now they are only asking $80k for it. Too wimpy engine wise and too large. There wasn't even a Dinan Tune available for it so I had to pass it up. But this is typically what appeals to me. It does have some contrast with the wood on the champagne and white but it's fairly monochromatic too. Still, that is what appeals to me in cars, yet it shouts old guy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Do you drive it often or just on the weekend?

maybe it's a Silverstone thing, which will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I'm always puzzled by these threads. I've had silverstone full leather twice. I have none of the issues described here. I use basic BMW leather cleaner every once in a while. I don't wear jeans everyday, but often enough and my seats look perfect.

The only area that gets scuffed a bit is the lower door area where folks sometimes push with their feet to open the door. Still easy to clean up though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In regard to the monochromatic aspect of black, well to me, the black with dark wood is a fairly luxurious combination. Here is what I really like but it doesn't work with silver and I never found it with a white M5. This is a car I almost bought. It's a 2012 12kmi, 740i Individual with every option you can name. It was $105k MSRP and now they are only asking $80k for it. Too wimpy engine wise and too large. There wasn't even a Dinan Tune available for it so I had to pass it up. But this is typically what appeals to me. It does have some contrast with the wood on the champagne and white but it's fairly monochromatic too. Still, that is what appeals to me in cars.
Sure you can make any color monochromatic. But on most M5s the headliner, carpet, dash, upper door panels are all Black. I wouldn't choose that crap 740i interior either.

That said I certainly understand choosing the more convenient finish over the more elegant one. It's also not convenient to wear a tux every time you go out for dinner.

On the other hand here's another lower maintenance option with contrast which also looks very elegant and sporty like it was done by an interior designer as opposed to mindlessly painted black.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sure you can make any color monochromatic. But on most M5s the headliner, carpet, dash, upper door panels are all Black. I wouldn't choose that crap 740i interior either.

That said I certainly understand choosing the more convenient finish over the more elegant one. It's also not convenient to wear a tux every time you go out for dinner.

On the other hand here's another lower maintenance option with contrast which also looks very elegant and sporty like it was done by an interior designer as opposed to mindlessly painted black.
I looked at a black M5 with the top interior at my dealership with extended leather (which this appears to be). It just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the blinding white of the silverstone, too much contrast for me. At least it doesn't have the gaudy aluminum trim like the bottom one which I really don't like. I can see how some people would like these, just as others would not like what appeals to me. That being said, I bought my car for myself so it's going to reflect my tastes. The only thing I didn't buy for myself was the color. It was my wife that said it was a good color. I am still somewhat on the fence but it's growing on me. I better get to like it because I bought it and took it home.

As to wearing a tux, dude, I live in Austin. This is the land of casual. This is where people with money come to get away from formality but still enjoy spending money at 5 star restaurants, or so I have been told by those that do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Whatever you like best is the right choice.

I have a colleague who likes all his food grilled with no sauce. Bland to me - heavenly to him.

I actually bought my first 4 BMWs with Black interiors. So clearly I liked them once.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
I had a red car when I was 20-25. Here is a picture when I was about 21 or so. I also had a Yamaha RD350 you can see in the background there on the basketball court.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I always have "Light colour" interiors my answer is : wet-wipes they were recommended years ago for leather dirt and they work, try it.
Two minute job.
      05-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Sakhir Orange here. Jeans everyday in the winter here in CA, and I get significant staining on the bolsters. Lexol got the stains out very easily, but recently switched to leather masters cleaner on the advice of a board member. Also works very well and does not require any water to clear the leather.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Anyone else have Silverstone, Platinum or Champagne interior want to give some feedback on the staining issue? Thanks.

Last edited by Greer; 09-03-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0