BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Disappointed in fellow ///M5 owner

Tell me how you would take this. I live an hour north of NYC. In the last 7 months I have only seen one F10 M5 on the road, and we all know our car is limited. Today I'm at a local car wash about to go through the touchless, and what pulls up to the bay to my right...a Black F10 M5. I'm checking it out, and this dude won't even look over. Young guy too. My car is nicely modded as well, so not trying to toot my own horn but I think it's weird you would even look at another nice car like yours. Maybe I'm perplexed because whenever I see another ///M car (even if it's beat to shit) I'll give a wave or a nod. So anyway, I pull out of the wash and park and he drives by again not even looking over. This guy just doesn't share the same ///M camaraderie that I am accustomed to. He just left, he would had stayed I would have went over and said hi and asked him what he thought of it. I guess thats just how I am.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Tell me how you would take this. I live an hour north of NYC. In the last 7 months I have only seen one F10 M5 on the road, and we all know our car is limited. Today I'm at a local car wash about to go through the touchless, and what pulls up to the bay to my right...a Black F10 M5. I'm checking it out, and this dude won't even look over. Young guy too. My car is nicely modded as well, so not trying to toot my own horn but I think it's weird you would even look at another nice car like yours. Maybe I'm perplexed because whenever I see another ///M car (even if it's beat to shit) I'll give a wave or a nod. So anyway, I pull out of the wash and park and he drives by again not even looking over. This guy just doesn't share the same ///M camaraderie that I am accustomed to. He just left, he would had stayed I would have went over and said hi and asked him what he thought of it. I guess thats just how I am.
I share your perspective.

The thing is a lot of people buy these cars not because they are enthusiasts but because they are expensive and they like owning expensive things.

On the other hand what kind of enthusiast washes their car in a machine wash!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
+1
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Just because he has an M5 does not mean he doesen't have an ego, or he isn't insecure. I love the "Hey Im not trying to look at you motto but I really am" LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I agree with stealth. Here in SoCal there are a ton of M-cars. I'd say it is 75/25 enthusiast to clueless. I've found that folks with older M's and almost all M3ers look and exchange a thumbs up, chat at lights, etc. OTOH I have seen no less than 5 F10 M5s on the road where I have had the windows down and gave the other driver a good look and a thumbs up and received nothing in return...with two of those like your encounter @aculeg87 - not even a glance in my direction. I do believe those people just walked on the lot and bought the most expensive 5 series they could get their hands on.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

///M car owners like this are all over.

I experienced one like this also about a month ago. I was actually on my way to go get my new catless downpipes installed but I still had the RPi GTM on my M5 and it's still very loud. So I was slowly making my way through bumper to bumper traffic and low and behold I spot another Sapphire Black Metallic F10 M5 up ahead of me. His M5 looked 100% stock, not even the windows were tinted. The traffic was only moving at about 15-20mph but I managed to shuffle my way through the traffic and pulled up right next to him. I have dark tinted front windows so I roll my front window down and waited for him to see me. No luck. So I naturally throw my DCT into Neutral and proceed to give the RPi GTM exhaust a good roar. I look over at the guy and he still doesn't look over. I just wanted to give him a thumbs up or cool guy head-nod or whatever, but to no avail could I get his attention. After a few minutes of waiting for him to look over, the traffic ahead of me in my lane opens up a little bit, so that I have a some room to accelerate if I wanted to. I then hit the ///M button and floor it with the GTM ROARING behind me, thinking surely this would get his attention. I slowed back down and he catches up. Still NOTHING! LOL! I'm thinking this guy is either in LA LA land or he's intentionally giving me the cold shoulder. So I was like oh whatever dude, I roll down my window anyways and give a thumbs up with my arm fully extended out into the air flow and then pull into the next lane ahead of me and took the next exit for a shortcut out of the highway traffic. I think some people really have their head up their ass and it is like Stealth said, they are not enthusiasts just people who make a lot of money and can afford the top tier cars that car manufacturers produce, but have no real passion for the product.

Although looking back now, I wonder if that dude thought I was trying to race him in bumper to bumper traffic. LOL!

I usually will just give my exhaust a good rev whenever I see another ///M car on the road, doesn't matter what it is. Or if I see an ///M owner parked, I will go up and talk to them. One time I staked out this dude's E60 M5 just to meet him (he had some pretty good mods on his M5, that's why). The other day I saw this E64 M6 Convertable with its top down sitting at a traffic light and I made it a point to roll by him and rev my exhaust. I looked back and saw the look on his face and it was priceless (and this was with my Catless Downpipes so I basically started an earthquake)! LOL!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
dkoren
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - 6spd

I find it disappointing not to get the wave or thumbs up back from other M drivers. Seems like the enthusiasts around here are in the minority.

Though I will give people the benefit of the doubt too as I've failed at least once or twice I'm sure. Best one was driving the back roads to my parents house to visit one day, off in my own world, and totally missed the e30 honk at me and wave until I was passed... felt like an ass.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Stealth, LOL... I share your sentiments but you should know I am not that guy. No ///M car I have ever owned has went through a car wash that touches my car. "If" my car has regular road dust on it I will go through a touchless to save time and then thoroughly dry her and when I get home she gets detailed for the next ride. If it gets real dirty, then I hand wash and enjoy doing so. My car is spotless at all times. My car is actually the only thing I have in my life that perfectly clean at all times, well my snowmobile is too when being used in the winter but that thing is like a ///M on the snow. My truck and my commuter car are disgustingly dirty. It's safe to say I am OCD with my cars. I've pulled over on trips to grab a razor blade to take bugs off my windshield cause it bothers me while I drive.

Other than that it's nice to see you guys see where I'm coming from. I figured this guy must be a hater cause his is stock. RPI, I totally agree with how you are, I'm the same way. I consider myself very fortunate to afford this car and I have always been a true enthusiast of all cars. So when you see another ///M owner, you're like; Ohhh look, probably a cool guy.

I thought you guys would appreciate the pic. Last year when I had my E60 I was looking for a place to park, and voila! This is what I found. What are the odds
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

I don't think I've ever passed an //M where there wasn't some kind of exchange - whether it's a wave, a thumbs up, a quick race - a throttle blip to make it roar - something.

I'd be disappointed too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

M cars are dime a dozen in NorCal.. they are just daily drivers..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

There are four / five F10 M5's in my area, I've only met one other guy that isn't like what you just described. Seems weird, but it is what it is. One time I actually got a nasty look when I parked my ///M next to another ///M and he took off and parked somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I got a really nice thumbs up from a guy in a 335 a couple days ago. It was really nice as he even rolled his window down and said man that thing is really nice. I told him his was nice also. I then told him to go to cars and coffee on sat. so everyone can meet up. Any time I see a nice car that I like and they look at me, I'll give thumbs up. I did that to this guy in his bad azz gti today. I said to myself, I wouldn't mind having that car and doing those mods he did.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Maybe as a guy with a plain black M5 he was thrown off his game in the presence of the sheer iridescent brilliance of the Monte Carlo Blue M5.

It's like that time Dave met up with Barry to compare exhausts and then he ended up getting pulled over by a cop. Thrown off his game by the presence of Barry and the MCB monster!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protious View Post
There are four / five F10 M5's in my area, I've only met one other guy that isn't like what you just described. Seems weird, but it is what it is. One time I actually got a nasty look when I parked my ///M next to another ///M and he took off and parked somewhere else.
That guys is clearly an @ss&ole and I would have attempted to inform him of that.

Like Boots said...It's nice that the guy in 335 was cool, and thats what it's all about. Yes we are ///M owners but initially we are car enthusiasts. I enjoy talking to people about cars and if someone else has a really nice car I'll give them a thumbs up, or if they compliment my car I am always very nice and thankful for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe as a guy with a plain black M5 he was thrown off his game in the presence of the sheer iridescent brilliance of the Monte Carlo Blue M5.

It's like that time Dave met up with Barry to compare exhausts and then he ended up getting pulled over by a cop. Thrown off his game by the presence of Barry and the MCB monster!
LOL... The power of the MCB compels you, the power of the MCB compels you!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I usually will just give my exhaust a good rev whenever I see another ///M car on the road, doesn't matter what it is. D
really, you do that? hehe.

you mean when you're stationary, or while driving?

maybe i should start doing that.

but where i live not many other ///M drivers even pay attention either.

i have the feeling (since most are e46 m3's or E39 m5's) that alot of them may not even know that this is an ///M5 ???

or maybe they just wish they had the new one.

i still think the e46 m3 looks cool, but ive rarely gotten a look, or even a nod, from anyone driving an ///M
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Like the OP, there are precious few F10 M5s in my area; aside from the awesome mechanic at my dealership, I've only seen one other one since buying mine in September and it was parked in a driveway. However, just yesterday a guy pulled up at a light and made every effort to get my attention. What I thought was a C63 at first glance turned out to be a clean, white C350 Sport. He shouted over to me, "nice f***g car! Damn! those calipers!" Then he asked me how much my monthly payment is..."$1700?" I reciprocated by telling him how nice and clean his E class looks. Anyway, I've gotten the cold, "no-stare-but-I'm-really-looking" by fellow M motorists in E9x M3s and E60 M5s. It baffles me but I get over it quickly with my right foot.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
Then he asked me how much my monthly payment is..."$1700?"
This is a question that I completely loathe. It's one thing if we're talking for a while, but in your situation it's just distasteful. My favorite one is when I see some degenerate and he talks like a 3rd grader and asks me how much my car was.

Other than that, yeah I get the Rotor & Caliper acknowledgement often. I still marvel at them too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
This is a question that I completely loathe. It's one thing if we're talking for a while, but in your situation it's just distasteful. My favorite one is when I see some degenerate and he talks like a 3rd grader and asks me how much my car was.

Other than that, yeah I get the Rotor & Caliper acknowledgement often. I still marvel at them too.
Yes, I do as well. I'm not comfortable answering that sort of question so I just change the subject; no sense trying to school a child who is old enough to drive. Far and away, we have the nicest calipers on the road...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Far and away, we have the nicest calipers on the road...
I agree...I'm not in love with the Gold on Ceramic pkg. I love the blue, but it would be nice if customers could pick a few choices of caliper color. Some colors blend nicer than others depending on exterior color.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Like the OP, there are precious few F10 M5s in my area; aside from the awesome mechanic at my dealership, I've only seen one other one since buying mine in September and it was parked in a driveway. However, just yesterday a guy pulled up at a light and made every effort to get my attention. What I thought was a C63 at first glance turned out to be a clean, white C350 Sport. He shouted over to me, "nice f***g car! Damn! those calipers!" Then he asked me how much my monthly payment is..."$1700?" I reciprocated by telling him how nice and clean his E class looks. Anyway, I've gotten the cold, "no-stare-but-I'm-really-looking" by fellow M motorists in E9x M3s and E60 M5s. It baffles me but I get over it quickly with my right foot.
Haha that does remind me one time, first week I had my car, was driving inbetween San Antonio and Dallas.. This guy (Camaro SS) weaved back and forth trying to get me to notice him, only to give me a huge thumbs up. I was pretty surprised. Made my day.

Dallas on the other hand, the only thing I faced was a bunch of Mustangs trying to race me.

I think it really depends on where you live, I've had tons of compliments when I picked my baby up in Phoenix as well. Specially at gas stations.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

That's just plain TIRED.
Appreciate 0