05-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
F10 M5 6MT feedback to a fellow forum member

QUESTION:

Would like some feedback on the M5.....How is the traction? Is it just too much torque for RWD? Is the DSC intervening constantly? How is all that power to modulate with a manual gearbox? Does the car feel dynamic or is
it just too big? Thanks.

ANSWER:

This car grabs the road aggressively at all times because of the massive torque from low end to high rpm, the DSC will come on if you push it hard even over 100mph but it is not intrusive enough to be annoying IMO...

Having owned previously an E39 M5 w/ Powerchip and complete SS exhaust, the power is very manageable with this manual gearbox which I found to be a great one, and much better than the one in the E39 M5. After 4,000 miles I don’t think the shifter needs to be any shorter, it is just fitted perfectly, again IMO.

The car is big and it feels big, there is no way around it but when you push the beast inside in M mode, believe me it does not feel as big. I actually find the car drives best in M mode w/ all settings in Sport Plus with the manual gearbox, much more responsive and fun to drive. Comfort/Efficient mode is much better for the highway cruising, you still all power available just a little less responsive.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
DMC126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5/2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
Having owned previously an E39 M5 w/ Powerchip and complete SS exhaust, the power is very manageable with this manual gearbox which I found to be a great one, and much better than the one in the E39 M5. After 4,000 miles I don’t think the shifter needs to be any shorter, it is just fitted perfectly, again IMO.
I own an E39 M5 and echo your feelings and impressions, regarding the transmission.

I always had difficulty getting the E39 M5 to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd gear, a two in ten proposition. I had no other transmission issues with the E39 M5 but the F10 M5 transmission/shifter are a much better iteration. The F10 M5 shifter is very smooth and the rev matching feature is superb.

I am not interested in a short shift modification, for a number of reasons. First, for me, it is completely unnecessary and perhaps very undesirable. Whenever these complex machines are taken apart for any reason, other than routine, scheduled maintenance you are introducing the possibility of a whole host of problems. Most importantly, I trust the BMW and GETRAG engineers that designed the car to get the correct solution far more than I trust the engineers in the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0