BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Importing a US spec'd 2013 BMW M5 to Germany

Why? I own the car outright and it sells for 50k-60k euros in Germany. I do not plan on selling it, but it sells higher than the US and is damned more expensive to rebuy. New residents in Germany can import their cars tax-free one time if owned for 6-months or longer. Shipping, conversion costs are generally $2,000-$3,000 and are far less then a repurchase price.

Does anyone have experience or pointers in this regard?

* Headlights must be changed over to conform to TUV specification

* But can the navigation be loaded with European maps?

* Can the speed limiter be removed for the Autobahn?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

M5 export

What I also know is that your taillights will have to be changed as well.
GPS maps are the least of the problem, to my understanding it is only software.
Gages I think will have to be in KM/H
Bramenhaven is the most common destination ( shipping in container ) it will run you about $1300 US ( shipping cost ) it takes about a month to get there.
Speed limiter, again it is easily done by tuner shops there.
The other thing is that you will not be able to sell that car right away ( if I'm correct ) even though it is yours out right. If you will try to sell it too fast Government will want a cut in your profit ( 10 15 or 20 % ) . The time frame in which you will have to own it before selling it is about 1/2 year. You better find that out.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
You may be able to code your headlights to German Spec. You won't have to change your gauges as you have KM/H on HUD and in the gauges digitally. You will want to code your radio to hit every frequency instead of only the even frequencies. You'll also need the outer Taillights in amber. Someone here has used a light source that makes there's blink orange without changing the taillights. You'll have to search.
Coding will take care of the little things
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeOfEvil View Post
Why? I own the car outright and it sells for 50k-60k euros in Germany. I do not plan on selling it, but it sells higher than the US and is damned more expensive to rebuy. New residents in Germany can import their cars tax-free one time if owned for 6-months or longer. Shipping, conversion costs are generally $2,000-$3,000 and are far less then a repurchase price.

- Headlights don't have to be changed, but the outer taill lights do. Headlamp switch with rear fog will need to be added.

- Maps can be loaded

- Retrofit M Driver's Pack including Limiter Increase to 305 km/h is available at most dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
- Headlights don't have to be changed, but the outer taill lights do. Headlamp switch with rear fog will need to be added.

- Maps can be loaded

- Retrofit M Driver's Pack including Limiter Increase to 305 km/h is available at most dealerships.
The dealer won't do the M Driver's Package for US Spec M5's
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Why not just sell your US-spec M5?

Then just get a used/second-hand F10 M5 when you are in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Quote:

- Maps can be loaded

The dealer won't do the M Driver's Package for US Spec M5's
There are a few that will currently, with more added later now that the Driver Training Curriculum is setup in the US and being rolled out progressively.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #8
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I've had mine up to 270km/h....plenty fast!! Wouldn't want to do it for extended period even though the car felt fine.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
Quote:

You don't need to change anything. US Spec cars exceed German Spec cars. If you were shipping a German Spec car to USA you would have to convert before arriving through US customs. I have shipped 3 US Spec cars to Germany at not cost to convert. If you're notworking for The USA then you will have to register you car on German economy. Not sure the cost. I have always worked for or being Military under Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) just 40. 00 US dollors to register. Just make sure your Insurance company cover while on boat to Germany in case of accident. USAA will cover you. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Why not just sell your US-spec M5?

Then just get a used/second-hand F10 M5 when you are in Germany?
I thought I headed this questions off... used US M5 = $35k. used German M5= $55k.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
You don't need to change anything. US Spec cars exceed German Spec cars. If you were shipping a German Spec car to USA you would have to convert before arriving through US customs. I have shipped 3 US Spec cars to Germany at not cost to convert. If you're notworking for The USA then you will have to register you car on German economy. Not sure the cost. I have always worked for or being Military under Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) just 40. 00 US dollors to register. Just make sure your Insurance company cover while on boat to Germany in case of accident. USAA will cover you. Good luck.
This is "false"... you've never had to convert because as a US Serviceman you are exempt. As a private citizen, I must convert tail lights (in the least) and I believe the speedometer.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Quote:
I thought I headed this questions off... used US M5 = $35k. used German M5= $55k.
LOL
My thoughts exactly
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is "false"... you've never had to convert because as a US Serviceman you are exempt. As a private citizen, I must convert tail lights (in the least) and I believe the speedometer.
I'm not US serviceman! US spec car exceed German spec cars! Know WTF you're talking about before you say something is false. I have shipped US spec car to Germany twice. So to find out the answer if you want to know just call German customs. All US car now have German plates to blend in with locals due to force protection. This site kills me when people like this A hole talk out side of their neck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not US serviceman! US spec car exceed German spec cars! Know WTF you're talking about before you say something is false. I have shipped US spec car to Germany twice. So to find out the answer if you want to know just call German customs. All US car now have German plates to blend in with locals due to force protection. This site kills me when people like this A hole talk out side of their neck!!
Dinan M
Dude! Chill out. He's right. I'm in Germany as a military retired and current Government Service employee. You get a German Plate, but the vehicle is NOT registered with the German "Zulassungsstelle" (German Registration office). All US SOFA members in Germany go thru US Vehicle Registrations and Inspections which in turn gives them a German plate so they can blend in with their Ford F150. It is simply an agreement that the Germans have with Military Forces here. You can read here: http://www.eur.army.mil/rmv/
You probably shipped your vehicles to someone who was here in Germany under the SOFA agreement working for the US.

He is asking as a private citizen, not a SOFA sponsered individual.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Dinan M
Dude! Chill out. He's right. I'm in Germany as a military retired and current Government Service employee. You get a German Plate, but the vehicle is NOT registered with the German "Zulassungsstelle" (German Registration office). All US SOFA members in Germany go thru US Vehicle Registrations and Inspections which in turn gives them a German plate so they can blend in with their Ford F150. It is simply an agreement that the Germans have with Military Forces here. You can read here: http://www.eur.army.mil/rmv/
You probably shipped your vehicles to someone who was here in Germany under the SOFA agreement working for the US.

He is asking as a private citizen, not a SOFA sponsered individual.
If you read my first reply I said this was under SOFA! The reader did not read my first reply but just said it was false! So this is why I said call German customs if he wants answer! Yes, I'm retired and used my SOFA status. I'm Not servicemember. Ask before assuming, every American in Germany is not in Service. Some just live there because it's a great Country. He asked a question on form! I answered it, base off the info he asked. In his first question he was not specific. As for chilling out I'm always chill! I'm retired after 32 years as Army Officer. This is too easy. I just don't like it, if he would have done a little research on his behalf could of answered his question. If you post it to form you going to get many answers. Not saying all answers are not true because it don't apply to you, do not mean it is wrong! Thanks for info, hopefully the member will do his own research and not depend on the site to do it for him. Myself and other here can only provide info on what has worked for us. If he is not in a SOFA status that should have been explain in the first post.

Last edited by Dinan-M; 08-06-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you read my first reply I said this was under SOFA! The reader did not read my first reply but just said it was false! So this is why I said call German customs if he wants answer! Yes, I'm retired and used my SOFA status. I'm Not servicemember. Ask before assuming, every American in Germany is not in Service. Some just live there because it's a great Country. He asked a question on form! I answered it, base off the info he asked. In his first question he was not specific. As for chilling out I'm always chill! I'm retired after 32 years as Army Officer. This is too easy. I just don't like it, if he would have done a little research on his behalf could of answered his question. If you post it to form you going to get many answers. Not saying all answers are not true because it don't apply to you, do not mean it is wrong! Thanks for info, hopefully the member will do his own research and not depend on the site to do it for him. Myself and other here can only provide info on what has worked for us. If he is not in a SOFA status that should have been explain in the first post.
First off, what a shitty attitude. The whole reason to have forums is for people of similar interests to share and help each other.

Second, I said your response was "false". It turns out you are flat out wrong. The other guy is right and had the wisdom to understand circumstances outside your own narrow one. I have now researched and verified with customs. Your hot-headed response was time-wasting, unnecessary, rude, and just plain wrong.
Appreciate 1
414M333.50
      08-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
First off, what a shitty attitude. The whole reason to have forums is for people of similar interests to share and help each other.

Second, I said your response was "false". It turns out you are flat out wrong. The other guy is right and had the wisdom to understand circumstances outside your own narrow one. I have now researched and verified with customs. Your hot-headed response was time-wasting, unnecessary, rude, and just plain wrong.
Ok..I give a @#!. Just buy a European car! Case settle! If you need a couple dollars to help you out hit me up on my private email. I'll help you out. You happy now??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2019 M5 Comp

FANBMWM126.50
      08-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep

One homologation company is saying:

"- Headlight without "E" test label must be replaced by EU-Headlight with additional cost. Price per unit is depending on the vehicle ...

- Where rebuild not let vehicles, the rear lights / program, they must be exchanged for an additional charge. Price per piece is depending on vehicle ... (LED taillights)"
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
AmBiGuOuS
BiPPu
United_States
Rep
Drives: M///

Quote:
Didn't know you could get a used 2013 BMW M5 for $35k! Where can I find one!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #21
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:

- Maps can be loaded

Spot on there..... Headlights are a hit and miss. If we had amber orange reflectors build into our headlights (say like Audis), sometimes you will get tagged for that. You might get away with your stock headlights. BUT US headlights do have a different pattern than ROW headlights. Ours are not as bright as the ROW.

If you go see a good coder before you export, you should be good to go with radio stations, nav & etc. All of that can be coded in. (BMW does this if you do Euro Delivery)

At the end of the day worst case scenario you are looking at headlights, rear fog light switch and amber turn signals.

Also while still at the state side (if you have not already done so) get rid of the front amber reflectors either with a painted or a clear one.

Also for the inspection, make sure to have your 1st aid kit and warning triangle in the trunk!

Quote:
You don't need to change anything. US Spec cars exceed German Spec cars. If you were shipping a German Spec car to USA you would have to convert before arriving through US customs. I have shipped 3 US Spec cars to Germany at not cost to convert. If you're not working for The USA then you will have to register you car on German economy. Not sure the cost. I have always worked for or being Military under Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) just 40. 00 US dollors to register. Just make sure your Insurance company cover while on boat to Germany in case of accident. USAA will cover you. Good luck.
Go do that as a civilian and report back!

Quote:
There you proved your point about not knowing what you are talking about.

US Spec cars are years behind anything EU Spec.

Red Blinkers - Really?
Rear Fog Lights - Americans don't have the slightest idea
Headlight Washers..... Yes, your F-150 have those too
Folding Side Mirrors - Now that is something Americans caught on 5 years ago finally on some cars
Side Turn Indicators for safety - Cough, check on that one too.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #22
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Spot on there..... Headlights are a hit and miss. If we had amber orange reflectors build into our headlights (say like Audis), sometimes you will get tagged for that. You might get away with your stock headlights. BUT US headlights do have a different pattern than ROW headlights. Ours are not as bright as the ROW.

If you go see a good coder before you export, you should be good to go with radio stations, nav & etc. All of that can be coded in. (BMW does this if you do Euro Delivery)

At the end of the day worst case scenario you are looking at headlights, rear fog light switch and amber turn signals.

Also while still at the state side (if you have not already done so) get rid of the front amber reflectors either with a painted or a clear one.

Also for the inspection, make sure to have your 1st aid kit and warning triangle in the trunk!

Go do that as a civilian and report back!

There you proved your point about not knowing what you are talking about.

US Spec cars are years behind anything EU Spec.

Red Blinkers - Really?
Rear Fog Lights - Americans don't have the slightest idea
Headlight Washers..... Yes, your F-150 have those too
Folding Side Mirrors - Now that is something Americans caught on 5 years ago finally on some cars
Side Turn Indicators for safety - Cough, check on that one too.

This is a dead thread so just let it die. The guy will purchase what he need to make his car European standards. Dont't need to check because I'm not a cheap !@#% plus its none issue So send the author a personal message and quit kissing his !@%~
Appreciate 0