M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Djokodallas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG ,ML350 4 MATIC

M5 break in period

I am very close to lease a 2014 M5.

When I got to the dealer one of them refused to give me M5 to test drive due to the following reason:

The car needs a break in period of 1200miles. It can not past 4,000 rpms.
You cant test drive the car, I can only drive you with you in it.

This is after test driving new $165,000 Porsche. And the car salesman (Porsche was forcing me to drive like crazy lol)

I went to another dealer in Dallas and they gave me M5 for a test drive not even asked me for a driver license.....

Than I've asked my sales guys whats with this break in period?

He said that It can void the warranty and that car cannot be driven hard.

I said ok, how would you know?

He said that the key of the m5 stores all of the driving habits and that they will see all of it. I guess like black box on Nissan gtr

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Break in period or not BMW can certainly void the warranty if the defect was/is caused by obvious abuse/misuse. The information is stored in the cars ECU/DMEs and BMW HQ/NA can review the data if a warranty claim is suspect (the dealer does not have access to this level of data/detail)
However in the end it should not matter to you as one would assume you're going to be a responsible owner/test driver ?
If you're worried about them finding out you abused the car maybe you should go elsewhere
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Djokodallas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG ,ML350 4 MATIC

I am very responsible. I don't abuse my cars and I would never abuse car on the test ride.
I am not trying to hide. it was just strange that they don't let people test ride m5 in this particular dealership.
My friend had a similar experience in bmw of Dallas.
      06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
scottiekay
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 M5

Yes its true the key tells them everything. It can even tell you how fast you've gone within a period of time. Although the dealer is only allowed to use the information for certain purposed but yes.... big brother is watching now at BMW.
Appreciate 0