M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

01-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

New M3 tempting anyone?

My Space Gray / Full Black order's in but the allure of new M3 is tempting me to cancel my order...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

The new M4 looks addicting... But better than the M5??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Easy. Get both.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Cancelled M5 order to get new M3, hope I won't regret it.
I've done so much homework on the M5 and REALLY love the car. I can see it as a classic, gorgeous lines and superb performance. Difficult and bittersweet decision. I know they are vastly different cars. I also know that the M5 is a better fit for my lifestyle. I also think that the M5 looks better than the new M3.
However, I want a manual transmission and it just felt a little awkward to me in the M5.
I also feel that BMW needs to make the M5 a little bit lighter and improve steering feel. I know that an M5 is in my future just not right away.
So for now I'm gambling on a new M3. I'm betting that they sorted out the all electric steering! And, if not, I will flip it for an 2015 M5!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
I've done so much homework on the M5 and REALLY love the car. I can see it as a classic, gorgeous lines and superb performance. Difficult and bittersweet decision. I know they are vastly different cars. I also know that the M5 is a better fit for my lifestyle. I also think that the M5 looks better than the new M3.
However, I want a manual transmission and it just felt a little awkward to me in the M5.
I also feel that BMW needs to make the M5 a little bit lighter and improve steering feel. I know that an M5 is in my future just not right away.
So for now I'm gambling on a new M3. I'm betting that they sorted out the all electric steering! And, if not, I will flip it for an 2015 M5!!!
congrats man!
but i think it is not wise to get first year production car, until all issues are sorted...
just from my experience with m5
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
congrats man!
but i think it is not wise to get first year production car, until all issues are sorted...
Agreed. I'm planning to get either the M3 or the M4 (not sure yet) when the LCI model is introduced.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
congrats man!
Agreed. However, if you definitely want the manual transmission then the M3/4 is the way to go.

Having just moved from an E90 M3 to the M5 I am thrilled with the switch. So much more comfortable when I want it to be and a total beast when I need it to be.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
My Space Gray / Full Black order's in but the allure of new M3 is tempting me to cancel my order...
no.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Changed my mind one last time... M3 can wait, after spending so much time researching the M5, the more I looked at the M3 it just didn't match what I'm looking for right now. Decided that I want more luxury and space with my performance. Who cares if the M5 is overweight, gets 15 mpg and doesn't handle as well as the M3. Now I know why there hasn't been many to comment on my thread.

Also, after looking at M3 pictures, I decided that the styling isn't for me. The front end (below the bumper) seems overthought and too busy. : And I'm not a fan of those side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Changed my mind one last time... M3 can wait, after spending so much time researching the M5, the more I looked at the M3 it just didn't match what I'm looking for right now. Decided that I want more luxury and space with my performance. Who cares if the M5 is overweight, gets 15 mpg and doesn't handle as well as the M3. Now I know why there hasn't been many to comment on my thread.

Also, after looking at M3 pictures, I decided that the styling isn't for me. The front end (below the bumper) seems overthought and too busy. : And I'm not a fan of those side mirrors.
Back to your senses. ..
I like the M4 not the M3 but that car cannot replace M5 Fkr so many reasons
1. Styling and status (M4 nice but not M5 nice)
2. Numbers are crazh... 600 HP club -
3. Space
4. Don't get first year production ever!!
5. M5 is arguably with M6 the best cars BMW intend to make not holding back any tricks for money -; )

M5 all day !!
I would love to drive M3/4 though and I have a feeling it will handle better..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Who cares if the M5 is overweight, gets 15 mpg and doesn't handle as well as the M3.

The M5 is heavy, not overweight -- there is a difference. Look at HP to weight ratios of the F10 M5 and past M3s and M5s and then tell me this M5 is overweight. Heck I'd argue that my right foot says the M5 isnt even really that heavy.

Doesn't handle as well? Unsubstantiated claim -- No one will really know this till they get to drive EPS; but the M5 handles just fine. The M5 CP is faster around the Nurburgring than any previous M3, and based on the speculative comments, appears that it still is faster than the F80. From my personal driving around the the 'ring, I was able to pass M3s, and I took it easy.

Finally, I also own a loaded F30 335ix with all the sport add-ons. Its exterior stylings are very close to what the M3 will be, and I find them quite nice. The front slopiong nose is the new face of BMW as seen in this car, the new 6's and beyond. While no M3, I can say its steering is no match for the M5, and its appointments are quite nice -- until you are blown away by a much improved luxuries in the M5.

Mileage? If this is your worry, buy a loaded 535.
      01-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
The M5 is heavy, not overweight -- there is a difference. Look at HP to weight ratios of the F10 M5 and past M3s and M5s and then tell me this M5 is overweight. Heck I'd argue that my right foot says the M5 isnt even really that heavy.

Doesn't handle as well? Unsubstantiated claim -- No one will really know this till they get to drive EPS; but the M5 handles just fine. The M5 CP is faster around the Nurburgring than any previous M3, and based on the speculative comments, appears that it still is faster than the F80. From my personal driving around the the 'ring, I was able to pass M3s, and I took it easy.

Finally, I also own a loaded F30 335ix with all the sport add-ons. Its exterior stylings are very close to what the M3 will be, and I find them quite nice. The front slopiong nose is the new face of BMW as seen in this car, the new 6's and beyond. While no M3, I can say its steering is no match for the M5, and its appointments are quite nice -- until you are blown away by a much improved luxuries in the M5.

Mileage? If this is your worry, buy a loaded 535.
This.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

The new F80 will be a great car for sure, but in the end it just depends on what you really want/need out of a car.

With the new F80/82 keep in mind you won't be able to enjoy these things:

- No Bang & Olufsen Sound System
- No Soft Close Doors
- No Ventilated Seats
- No rear heated seats
- Less trunk space
- Less rear seat space
- No V8 exhaust note
- No Rear Seat Entertainment
- No Night Vision Detection System
- No Active Seats (Butt Massagers)
- No Competition Package
- No 4-Zone Climate Control
- No Power Open/Close Trunk

But the new M3/M4 are getting a lot stuff that they have never had before:

- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Interior
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Front Parking Sensors
- Rear View Camera
- Side and Top View Cameras
- Lane Departure Warning
- Forward Collision Warning
- Active Blind Spot Detection
- Full LED Headlights
- Automatic Highbeams

And here are some things the new M3/M4 will get that not even the M5/M6 is getting:

- Pedestrian Warning
- City Collision Mitigation
- Parallel Parking Assistant
- Active Cruise Control
- Carbon Fiber Roof (M6 gets this though)

I would say that compared to the F80 M3 the F10 M5 can offer more luxury, more space and utility, and more straight line performance as well as a better exhaust note to go with it. The F80 M3 main trump over the F10 M5 will be that it will MUCH MUCH BETTER in the turns on a race track. Everything else the F10 M5 will do better with the exception of the 5 things I've listed above that the F10 M5 cannot get.

One last thing that I think may be an advantage of the F80 M3 over the F10 M5 and that is actual vehicle size. Sometimes size does matter. Sometimes it's nicer to have a smaller car in certain situations, mostly when it comes to parking. It's easier to park a smaller car and it's more comforting to know that there's less of a chance of getting door dings when you take your car to the mall. Or if you have a garage at home with limited space. In this regard I have always preferred the E60 M5 to the F10 M5.

In my calculations and according to the newly released ordering guide for "military" overseas, you will be able to order a fully loaded F80 M3, even with Carbon Ceramic Brakes and still be under the base price of an F10 M5, $92,900. Additionally the F10 M5 will still come with a $1,300 gas guzzler tax, where as I highly doubt that the M3/M4 will have one (not released yet though. So that puts a base price of $94,200 on the F10 M5 where as 100% fully loaded M3 will cost you right about $86,875. For this price you are getting a car that is what I would say is somewhere between 75% - 85% the performance of the M5 and 70% - 80% of the luxury, utility, and comfort of the M5.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2015-m4-coupe-estimates.pdf (240.9 KB, 156 views)

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The new F80 will be a great car for sure, but in the end it just depends on what you really want/need out of a car.

- No Soft Close Doors
- No Ventilated Seats
- No rear heated seats
- Less trunk space
- Less rear seat space
- No V8 exhaust note
- No Competition Package

- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Interior
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Front Parking Sensors
- Rear View Camera
- Lane Departure Warning
- Full LED Headlights
- Automatic Highbeams

And here are some things the new M3/M4 will get that not even the M5/M6 is getting:

- Pedestrian Warning
- Active Cruise Control

I would say that compared to the F80 M3 the F10 M5 can offer more luxury, more space and utility, and more straight line performance as well as a better exhaust note to go with it. The F80 M3 main trump over the F10 M5 will be that it will MUCH MUCH BETTER in the turns on a race track. Everything else the F10 M5 will do better with the exception of the 5 things I've listed above that the F10 M5 cannot get.

One last thing that I think may be an advantage of the F80 M3 over the F10 M5 and that is actual vehicle size. Sometimes size does matter. Sometimes it's nicer to have a smaller car in certain situations, mostly when it comes to parking. It's easier to park a smaller car and it's more comforting to know that there's less of a chance of getting door dings when you take your car to the mall. Or if you have a garage at home with limited space. In this regard I have always preferred the E60 M5 to the F10 M5.

In my calculations and according to the newly released ordering guide for "military" overseas, you will be able to order a fully loaded F80 M3, even with Carbon Ceramic Brakes and still be under the base price of an F10 M5, $92,900. Additionally the F10 M5 will still come with a $1,300 gas guzzler tax, where as I highly doubt that the M3/M4 will have one (not released yet though. So that puts a base price of $94,200 on the F10 M5 where as 100% fully loaded M3 will cost you right about $86,875. For this price you are getting a car that is what I would say is somewhere between 75% - 85% the performance of the M5 and 70% - 80% of the luxury, utility, and comfort of the M5.
Amen brother.

A slightly smaller and almost as capable 4 door M sedan is exactly what I want. WINNING!

2016 LCI F80 ZCP ED baby!!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Nice comparo!

Loaded M3 in Canada is over 100k.. I can't justify the price and not going to M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

- No Soft Close Doors
- No Ventilated Seats
- No rear heated seats
- Less trunk space
- Less rear seat space
- No V8 exhaust note
- No Competition Package

- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Interior
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Front Parking Sensors
- Rear View Camera
- Lane Departure Warning
- Full LED Headlights
- Automatic Highbeams

- Pedestrian Warning
- Active Cruise Control

01-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Nice thread
M4 may be -
But not M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

M5 is simply more awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally Landed on All Black M5

Just Splurged on myself.
But not after lengthy buying process that went something like this...
-Went in to BMW dealer to buy a 535d Sport over a month ago. Superb and practical all-arounder but steering was numb.
-Tried a 335i Sport 6MT, better driving experience for sure but a little short on luxury (and steering feel still a little off).
-Tested 550i Sport, excellent but steering feel about the same as 535d. 535d better vehicle IMO and would never consider 550i over 535d.
-After seeing price of loaded 550i, I thought that why not go for M5. (Typically what happens to me when car shopping... I start off all frugal but at some point capitulate and go all out and throw prudence out with my money.). Tested base 2013 M5 and was let down again with steering feel. Shocked how BMW could screw this up on such an important model.
-Decided that I would go with an M3 and wait until mid-2014. This lasted a few days when I decided that I couldn't wait this long to take delivery.
-Drove 335i again, unable to convince myself that I valued ride over luxury.
-Drove 2014 M5 with Competition Package. Immediately realized that BMW sorted out 75 percent of steering problems and it was enough for me. Actually felt the road a little through the wheel. This was the car for me just needed to pick color and specs, and transmission. Drove 6MT M5, ultimately decided that it was not right for the car for me. Decided on Space Gray over Silverstone and placed my order.
-Detroit Auto Show started and I got caught up in the M3 hoopla, cancelled M5 order because I talked myself into believing that the M3 with the 6MT would be the perfect combination and drive and luxury.
-After looking at all available pictures of the M3 over the next couple days, decided that I didn't like some of the styling elements and decided that it wasn't for me, and didn't want to risk waiting to buy first year production model, particularly without driving it.
-Located all black loaded (excluding night vision, CCB and rear entertainment) M5.
Picking it up next week. It is hard to break the black habit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #19
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Just Splurged on myself.
-Went in to BMW dealer to buy a 535d Sport over a month ago. Superb and practical all-arounder but steering was numb.
-Tried a 335i Sport 6MT, better driving experience for sure but a little short on luxury (and steering feel still a little off).
-Tested 550i Sport, excellent but steering feel about the same as 535d. 535d better vehicle IMO and would never consider 550i over 535d.
-After seeing price of loaded 550i, I thought that why not go for M5. (Typically what happens to me when car shopping... I start off all frugal but at some point capitulate and go all out and throw prudence out with my money.). Tested base 2013 M5 and was let down again with steering feel. Shocked how BMW could screw this up on such an important model.
-Decided that I would go with an M3 and wait until mid-2014. This lasted a few days when I decided that I couldn't wait this long to take delivery.
-Drove 2014 M5 with Competition Package. Immediately realized that BMW sorted out 75 percent of steering problems and it was enough for me. Actually felt the road a little through the wheel. This was the car for me just needed to pick color and specs, and transmission. Drove 6MT M5, ultimately decided that it was not right for the car for me. Decided on Space Gray over Silverstone and placed my order.
-Detroit Auto Show started and I got caught up in the M3 hoopla, cancelled M5 order because I talked myself into believing that the M3 with the 6MT would be the perfect combination and drive and luxury.
-After looking at all available pictures of the M3 over the next couple days, decided that I didn't like some of the styling elements and decided that it wasn't for me, and didn't want to risk waiting to buy first year production model, particularly without driving it.
-Located all black loaded (excluding night vision, CCB and rear entertainment) M5.
…at least you can justify the choice as had driven all others….
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Glad to hear I'm not the only one flip-flopping between the M5 and new M3. Objectively, the M3 is probably more suited for me - I really don't need a big car and rarely drive with anyone in the backseat (but I do like the styling of a sedan better than a coupe). But there are two main strikes against the M3 for me: 1) it won't be available until "late July" (which, with my luck, probably means sometime in September). I seriously don't have the patience to wait that long; and 2) I don't like the idea of buying a first-year model. It seems like a lot of the shortcomings and glitches of the M5 have been worked out between the '13 and '14 model years.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

M3/4 will be on sale June 21 (pending EPA cert).

I sat in the M4 in Detroit and it is exceptionally beautiful in person; and the full leather interior felt just as luxurious as the M5, plus you get contrast stitching. Be interesting to see the Nurburgring numbers on M4 vs M5 CP. And as far as rear seat room - I was really surprised, it's good. I don't know that you're giving up much to get to the M4 vs the M5.

Plus, and this is obv personal pref, Austin Yellow in person is insane - pics do not do it justice as all. Closest thing I've seen to give an impression of the depth (but not total justice) is this vid:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Just Splurged on myself.

Congrats! Where did you buy it?
Appreciate 0