BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
M5Dreamin'
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Long term ride comfort

Just as many of you the M5 is my dream car and I may be close to fulfilling that dream, but if I do this now it may be my only car for a couple years. If I drive 18,000 plus miles a year and use it as my daily driver will the ride get old or is it plenty comfortable enough or does just how awesome the car accelerates get old when you don't want to accelerate quickly? I have test drove one, but I don't think I can use a test drive to judge. I also live in St.Louis so the weather isn't always the greatest but I can stay home on the rare bad snow days. Or should I wait a couple more years?

Thank you, Terry
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Dreamin' View Post
Just as many of you the M5 is my dream car and I may be close to fulfilling that dream, but if I do this now it may be my only car for a couple years. If I drive 18,000 plus miles a year and use it as my daily driver will the ride get old or is it plenty comfortable enough or does just how awesome the car accelerates get old when you don't want to accelerate quickly? I have test drove one, but I don't think I can use a test drive to judge. I also live in St.Louis so the weather isn't always the greatest but I can stay home on the rare bad snow days. Or should I wait a couple more years?

Thank you, Terry
It's very comfortable. Just as comfortable as a regular 5 series (I've owned both). Just don't get the competition package which firms up the ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I've had mine over a year now (almost 19k) and I have the HR springs on mine. I never have a problem with any long distance driving as far as comfort goes. I take 6 hour drives all the time. Nothing has gotten old for me and this car. I haven't driven it in almost 4 weeks now and cant wait to get back home to punish her.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

comfortable! Did a 17.5 hour tripin 1 day in the M5 in Europe. No problem, comfy and was not tired. Did a 6 hour trip in a nissian altima to Canada and back, I was ready to cry, everything hurt.

Trust me, M car very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Dreamin' View Post

Thank you, Terry
this may also help your decision, but it comes as an option - as part of the EP it comes with Active Front Seats. take a look.
      01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
It's very comfortable. Just as comfortable as a regular 5 series (I've owned both). Just don't get the competition package which firms up the ride.
Agreed. Also from a noise perspective, on the M5's BMW has managed to do a pretty neat trick of allowing in quite a bit of tire noise into the cabin and not wind noise. If tire noise is an issue for you, then you're better off looking at a 550i instead which does significantly more road noise isolation.

Comfort-wise though, it's just as nice a ride as you'll find. That's the whole point of the M5. It's the definition of a Jekyll and Hyde car. Fast, fun and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
M5Dreamin'
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the responses. Is there a large ride comfort difference between the competition and non-comp? I was leaning towards the comp package.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Its fantastic to be honest. I have put over 15k miles since I bought and I still cant wait to drive it every single day. The acceleration never gets old. Whenever I travel for a few days, all I think about is driving the car. In terms of comfort, the normal one is quite stiff as is, especially in sport plus, but not too bad in comfort. I have never driven the Comp package, but it seems like if you dont have smooth roads, you should go for the non-comp pckg.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I have the competition package and even in comfort mode all around the ride is firm.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #10
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
I have the competition package and even in comfort mode all around the ride is firm.
Would you say its too firm as compared with the non CP package? Which one do you prefer?
Appreciate 0