M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
ED Order changes

I was thinking of adding the leather dash option to my car but did not want to push back my delivery date as my flights are already booked. I’ve seen some posts about how adding more obscure options may delay the delivery. Im slated for a March 23rd delivery, so obviously the car is not in production yet. According to BMWUSA, there is not set production week either.

Has anyone made changes and not have it affect the original delivery date?

TIA
      12-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23
I was thinking of adding the leather dash option to my car but did not want to push back my delivery date as my flights are already booked. Ive seen some posts about how adding more obscure options may delay the delivery. Im slated for a March 23rd delivery, so obviously the car is not in production yet. According to BMWUSA, there is not set production week either.

TIA
They don't build em until a week or two before pick up, so I don't see why there should be a delay.

What's your sales rep tell you?

It's worth it BTW - the leather dash makes the interior much more special.
      12-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

If you have anything that is already an individual item on your build spec, get your changes in WAY early. I have piano black trim, and I attempted to add the B&O sound to my car around July 18, and I had a week 35 (sometime the week of August 26th) build. So for me it was locked down at least 5 weeks prior to build. I tried all my contacts at BMWNA and the best they could do was push the build a week. I ended up saying no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
I was thinking of adding the leather dash option to my car but did not want to push back my delivery date as my flights are already booked. I’ve seen some posts about how adding more obscure options may delay the delivery. Im slated for a March 23rd delivery, so obviously the car is not in production yet. According to BMWUSA, there is not set production week either.

TIA
The process is as follows:
1) You ask dealer to order this.
2) Dealer asks his regional BMW rep
3) Regional rep makes request to BMW M Individual gmbh
4) BMW M Individual provides a quote
5) Dealer asks you to agree to quote - usually in writing but depends on dealer
6) Dealer submits confirmation if you agree
7) BMW puts the request into Indvidual
8) A scheduler at BMW Individual picks up the request and checks for available slots. If slot is later than 3 weeks before your ED date, then they may tell you it will require a delay and ask for your confirmation. You can choose at this point.
9) It is locked down in schedule, and at this point is very hard to change

So the process is slow. In my case it took them a month to process the request after I agreed to the quote. This then triggered a delay because there was only 6 weeks left. If they had processed it faster there would not have been a delay.

My takeaway is put the request in asap. If there is a delay they will offer you the opportunity to back out and keep the original date.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
8) A scheduler at BMW Individual picks up the request and checks for available slots. If slot is later than 3 weeks before your ED date, then they may tell you it will require a delay and ask for your confirmation. You can choose at this point.

So the process is slow. In my case it took them a month to process the request after I agreed to the quote. This then triggered a delay because there was only 6 weeks left. If they had processed it faster there would not have been a delay.

My takeaway is put the request in asap. If there is a delay they will offer you the opportunity to back out and keep the original date.
Ok Im contacting them now - thx guys. Im glad to hear I get option to back out if it changes the timetable.
      12-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Request sent, fingers crossed. Thx guys, especially Stealth Pilot. I didn't realize this makes it an individual car, and hopefully does not change delivery date. Anyone have pics of this option on Sakhir Orange?? Praying that 4 months notice is enough.
      12-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

So my guy got back to me, according to him, he only sees 4M5 as an option on the X5/X6. This is a smaller dealership, so Im not sure how familiar they are with Individual orders. For an Individual car, Im assuming you can add any option available on your car, even though not listed as optional per BMW approval?
      12-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
So my guy got back to me, according to him, he only sees 4M5 as an option on the X5/X6. This is a smaller dealership, so Im not sure how familiar they are with Individual orders. For an Individual car, Im assuming you can add any option available on your car, even though not listed as optional per BMW approval?
All your dealer has to do is to call the BMW NA Oder/Sales desk with your request
for Individual options (extended/full leather, color contrast stitching etc) and they will
get back a quote from BMW NA in a few days (as stealth said earlier it might take longer, in my experience it took less than a day)
Some options are readily priced (extended/full leather, leather dashboard) others will be on an individual quote basis (color contrast stitching, custom engraving, additional leather work etc)
All of the above is subject to "approval" by BMW NA .

But key is the dealer has to call BMW NA and request a special order (they also can contact BMW NA via their online system)
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
All your dealer has to do is to call the BMW NA Oder/Sales desk with your request
for Individual options (extended/full leather, color contrast stitching etc) and they will
get back a quote from BMW NA in a few days (as stealth said earlier it might take longer, in my experience it took less than a day)
Some options are readily priced (extended/full leather, leather dashboard) others will be on an individual quote basis (color contrast stitching, custom engraving, additional leather work etc)
All of the above is subject to "approval" by BMW NA .

But key is the dealer has to call BMW NA and request a special order (they also can contact BMW NA via their online system)
Thats what I thought - thanks for confirming!
      12-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Thats what I thought - thanks for confirming!
This is correct. Your dealer failed to do what was asked which is contact his regional rep. Instead he looked in the computer system, where what he says is try of non special orders.

The whole point is that this is a special order.
Appreciate 0