M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Theballzack
Certified Trainer
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2013 M5

Cool Making 2013 M5 as good as 2014 M5 CP

I keep hearing how much improved the ride is on the Competition Package M5's. (the ride on my 2013 is pretty damn good).

What do I need to buy to make my non CP M5 as good as the CP M5?
What makes it significantly better than the 2013?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theballzack View Post
What do I need to buy to make my non CP M5 as good as the CP M5?
I also think the standard F10 M5 rides very well, and don't have a good answer to your question. But, I'm going to start with changing out the front sway bar for the CP bar from 7/2013 production onward. I've been told it's 29mm versus the stock 25mm bar, so will be somewhat stiffer. It comes with the properly sized rubber mounting bushings, so I'm hoping it will be an easy remove and replace. I don't imagine BMW would have changed the shape of it to require new suspension linkage. I'm still debating how to proceed with the rest of the suspension, coil overs or perhaps the CP springs, but the sway bar would be the same change with either, so it's a safe start. If my budget would allow I'd buy the BBS F1 wheels with the extra width and lighter weight to slip on slightly wider tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

The CP Suspension involves new:
Struts
Springs
Front sway bar (front sway bar links are the same)
Rear shocks
Rear sway bar
Rear sway links

If you install the CP springs, you should install the struts/shock along with it. The front and rear sway bars could be installed alone without issue, but the same cannot be said for the springs as they should really be paired with their counterparts.
      01-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The CP Suspension involves new:
Struts
Springs
Front sway bar (front sway bar links are the same)
Rear shocks
Rear sway bar
Rear sway links

If you install the CP springs, you should install the struts/shock along with it. The front and rear sway bars could be installed alone without issue, but the same cannot be said for the springs as they should really be paired with their counterparts.
One note on the rear sway bar from the CP. I was told by IND that it measures out at 21mm, which is the same dimension as my stock bar. I see that the links are different in the rear for the CP, so I suppose it's possible they may have engineered some mechanical leverage difference into the package rather than increasing the resistance of the bar itself. I have doubts about that though, and won't buy the rear bar until I learn for sure. It could easily be just a minor thread or rubber boot difference, which makes for a new part number.

I'd love to take a stock spring and a CP spring, both front and rear, to a shop who could measure the difference for me. I hear quibbles that they are progressive rate and difficult to measure.....BS! If you want you can compress the spring mm by mm if you wish and measure the pressure at each point. Whatever it is at that dimension for each spring will tell you the difference in the rate at that point. I'm sure there is a shop willing to do that. I disagree slightly with avinch over the necessity of combining the spring and strut. There is over lap in the three settings on either shock, stock or CP, and it might be possible that one setting from the non CP shock may work better at one track with the CP spring, and vice versa. I know I'm splitting hairs, but it is really only on the track that these minor increments of adjustment are relevant. Street use, I don't think we will notice the difference.
Appreciate 0