M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

09-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
dave7002
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

ED Damage & Delay

Well, my great ED experience has been ruined as I found out this morning of damage during shipment. It's on a "repair hold" at the VPC in Brunswick, and they have not told me of the extent of the damages.

I had been complaining since my vehicle cleared customs on 8/20 and still no release to the carrier for shipping. Considering I dropped in Zurich on 7/2, I am not happy.

This morning I discovered via close scrutiny of the provided report of the "repair" hold. My CA claims he was unaware, but it clearly shows on the Vehicle Status Inquiry he provided.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? To what extent would the damages need to be before I could reject the vehicle? Is some form of consideration due from BMWNA?

Frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Yes I have experience with your exact situation.

Here's the deal. BMW NA or BMW AG will not notify you of any damage to your vehicle while it is in transit or if the damage occurs while at the VDC. Instead they will just hold it and repair it for you and most of the time the customer will never have known. However, this type of incident does stay with the vehicle in the BMW database for the life of the car, however nothing gets reported to Carfax.

Secondly, yes definitely seek reconciliation from BMW NA. Call Customer Relations and start a claim with them. Let them know that you are aware of the damage to your vehicle during shipment or at the VDC and tell them that you would like to be compensated for the undue delay. Usually you can ask for a 1 or 2 month car payment back from them or a 1 or 2 day free pass to the M Performance School.

Either way, your car will be fixed and you will receive it back exactly the way you left it when you dropped it off in Europe. Now how long it takes is dependent on the type of damage.

You technically can't reject the vehicle since you have already taken delivery of it. If instead you arrived at the BMW Welt and immediately found your car damaged that day, you could then reject the vehicle. Even in catastrophic circumstances such as the engine blowing up while on ED, you can't reject the vehicle even then. Instead your dealer would have to order you a new car and then the damaged car would still need to be repaired and re-delivered back to the dealer who sold you the car.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
dave7002
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yes I have experience with your exact situation.

Here's the deal. BMW NA or BMW AG will not notify you of any damage to your vehicle while it is in transit or if the damage occurs while at the VDC. Instead they will just hold it and repair it for you and most of the time the customer will never have known. However, this type of incident does stay with the vehicle in the BMW database for the life of the car, however nothing gets reported to Carfax.

Secondly, yes definitely seek reconciliation from BMW NA. Call Customer Relations and start a claim with them. Let them know that you are aware of the damage to your vehicle during shipment or at the VDC and tell them that you would like to be compensated for the undue delay. Usually you can ask for a 1 or 2 month car payment back from them or a 1 or 2 day free pass to the M Performance School.

Either way, your car will be fixed and you will receive it back exactly the way you left it when you dropped it off in Europe. Now how long it takes is dependent on the type of damage.

You technically can't reject the vehicle since you have already taken delivery of it. If instead you arrived at the BMW Welt and immediately found your car damaged that day, you could then reject the vehicle. Even in catastrophic circumstances such as the engine blowing up while on ED, you can't reject the vehicle even then. Instead your dealer would have to order you a new car and then the damaged car would still need to be repaired and re-delivered back to the dealer who sold you the car.
Yes, a logical response. Clearly I'm emotional at this point, and understand the inability to reject. I most definitely will be asking for consideration and filing a claim. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
changw1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT, 2010 Evo

I understand your pain. My ED car was damaged during transit (bumper repair) and stuck at VDC for 17 calendar days. I think you can ask for lease payment offset if your total delivery time exceed the standard delivery time guidance. I was right at the end of 8 weeks mark so I did not push for any compensation.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
dave7002
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changw1 View Post
I understand your pain. My ED car was damaged during transit (bumper repair) and stuck at VDC for 17 calendar days. I think you can ask for lease payment offset if your total delivery time exceed the standard delivery time guidance. I was right at the end of 8 weeks mark so I did not push for any compensation.
I am at nine weeks today, so certainly anticipating asking for some level of compensation.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7002 View Post
I am at nine weeks today, so certainly anticipating asking for some level of compensation.
Yep, your definitely entitled to some compensation. You are 1 week over the promised delivery time. My car was delivered after 12 weeks and 3 days. I was on the West Coast though.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

oh man... dave7002... i feel for you bud. Having just recently done my ED and just took redelivery last Wednesday, I can only imagine how frustrating this situation is for you.
No matter what anyone says, its going to be a PITA to deal with.
Hang in there man.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7002 View Post
Definitely sucks. Having had to deal with the oil pump issue on my car, the delay of even a few days while at the VPC was a bummer - especially since we spent 10 days with the car in Europe!

IIRC timeline is 6-8 weeks for East coast, plus one week due to drop off outside Germany.

Definitely start gathering your data points, and if it goes longer than this week contact BMWNA for compensation.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Sorry to hear that. Let us know the outcome. My ED wait was felt like forever but when you get reunited it makes you forget about the wait =).
      09-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

The General Manager of the Hueneme VDC told me the repair rate on ED cars is approx 2X that of domestic delivery BMWS. Just under 4% of ED cars require repair while ~1.8% of domestic delivery cars require repair due to shipping damage. It's clear that ED shipments aren't immune from shipping damage, but the visibility is greater as the repairs to domestic delivery are generally invisible to the person who ordered that car or definitely obscured if it's a dealer stock car.

One thing for certain is the VDC will repair your car to "as new" condition - they do stellar work.
      09-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
dave7002
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel
The General Manager of the Hueneme VDC told me the repair rate on ED cars is approx 2X that of domestic delivery BMWS. Just under 4% of ED cars require repair while ~1.8% of domestic delivery cars require repair due to shipping damage. It's clear that ED shipments aren't immune from shipping damage, but the visibility is greater as the repairs to domestic delivery are generally invisible to the person who ordered that car or definitely obscured if it's a dealer stock car.

One thing for certain is the VDC will repair your car to "as new" condition - they do stellar work.
Yesterday's information was that it was a scratch on the front bumper. They elected to replace entire bumper with OEM rather than attempt a repair. Released from VPC on Friday arriving Atlanta Monday 9/8 after arriving Port 8/17.

I will be looking for some level of compensation from BMWNA especially due to the non-disclosure and extended delays.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Just got news of a VPC damage report, after already being at the VPC for 10 days. It will be there a total of 17 days. I'm at 9 weeks after drop off currently and will be at 10 weeks by the time it's redelivered.. what to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
dave7002
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6
Just got news of a VPC damage report, after already being at the VPC for 10 days. It will be there a total of 17 days. I'm at 9 weeks after drop off currently and will be at 10 weeks by the time it's redelivered.. what to do?
Just relax as I did as there is nothing you can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #14
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I am never doing ED again, ever. The wait blows, I'll just rent a BMW if I want to go there.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Update on my ED damage:

It's Oct 3rd (aka 10.5 weeks after drop off) and my car still isn't released from the VPC. Earliest it'll be released now is Monday which if then shipped will be at my dealer by Thursday (most likely, that's how it always is)

How many days is that you may ask? 11 weeks and 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #16
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
You have me beat, mine was in transit and sat at the VPC for a total of 75 days.
      04-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #17
proflex957
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP, M235

After my experience I don't think I'll never do a ED.

I ordered a m235i on Feb 1. It got to port about 4 weeks ago. I was told there was a delay by my salesperson after a couple of weeks waiting. No reason was given. I thought maybe it was the port strike in LA. But after 3 weeks waiting I called the salesperson asking if the delay was because of customs or was it damaged. I got a call back saying it was damaged and the car was almost ready. First the salesperson says it was left quarter panel damage. Now I'm wondering if it'll show up on CarFax, what happens if I try to trade for a M2, should I accept/reject, etc., etc.

So, it doesn't show up on CarFax but the damage will stay in BMW's database for the life of the car I was told at another dealership.

I told my salesperson I wanted some documentation of the damage before accepting it.....OK they said.

Now it arrives at the dealership and I go to look at the car my salesperson says the quarter panel on the right side was damaged, not the left side they originally told me. They gave me no documentation from VDC what was done. I told them I wouldn't accept the car and wasn't interested in waiting 2+ months getting another one.

If it was a bumper replacement I probably would of accepted it.....sorry BMW not the quarter panel!

Now I'm on the search for a new one with similar options or not a m235

The dealer should of never accepted the car from VDC with quarter panel damage. They are stuck with it and no other dealer would take it as a trade because of the damage.

Sad part is they'll probably put it on the lot and never tell the new owner of the repair done at VDC. Sure they do work, but it's an undisclosed refurbished product. And it probably happens a lot more than we know.

Glad I didn't do a ED and could walk away from the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by proflex957 View Post
After my experience I don't think I'll never do a ED.

I ordered a m235i on Feb 1. It got to port about 4 weeks ago. I was told there was a delay by my salesperson after a couple of weeks waiting. No reason was given. I thought maybe it was the port strike in LA. But after 3 weeks waiting I called the salesperson asking if the delay was because of customs or was it damaged. I got a call back saying it was damaged and the car was almost ready. First the salesperson says it was left quarter panel damage. Now I'm wondering if it'll show up on CarFax, what happens if I try to trade for a M2, should I accept/reject, etc., etc.

So, it doesn't show up on CarFax but the damage will stay in BMW's database for the life of the car I was told at another dealership.

I told my salesperson I wanted some documentation of the damage before accepting it.....OK they said.

Now it arrives at the dealership and I go to look at the car my salesperson says the quarter panel on the right side was damaged, not the left side they originally told me. They gave me no documentation from VDC what was done. I told them I wouldn't accept the car and wasn't interested in waiting 2+ months getting another one.

If it was a bumper replacement I probably would of accepted it.....sorry BMW not the quarter panel!

Now I'm on the search for a new one with similar options or not a m235

The dealer should of never accepted the car from VDC with quarter panel damage. They are stuck with it and no other dealer would take it as a trade because of the damage.

Sad part is they'll probably put it on the lot and never tell the new owner of the repair done at VDC. Sure they do work, but it's an undisclosed refurbished product. And it probably happens a lot more than we know.

Glad I didn't do a ED and could walk away from the car.
Wait for the M2
      04-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Hey if it's any consolation I can tell you that this sort of damage is very trivial usually. Typically just a bumper or a small dent on a quarter panel. BMW will repair it flawlessly with perfect paint match.

During my ED I got a chip on the front bumper from a rock, and they replaced the bumper for me to fix it. No way to tell the replacement bumper was factory grade in terms of paintwork.

If you want compensation I would suggest you either cut a deal with them or ask that you hire a diminished value consultant to provide them with an estimate of the impact on the value of the car.

Also they should be able to send you a photo of the damage. In my case they sent me a photo of the rock chip to double check I wanted to fix it or leave it.

Personally I would take that car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
proflex957
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP, M235

You might accept a refurbished product with no documentation or the repair and with no price discount. But I won't.
Appreciate 0