M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
medman2k1
Private
Rep
Drives: 750Li

I was out of town over the weekend and ended up renting a 528Xi from Avis.

My M experience is M3, M3 conv, And currently 13 M5.

I have actually never driven anything less than a 550i so take that within the context of my statements.

I actually really enjoyed pushing that 528 around! I thought there would be a huge gap in perceived performance as there is on paper. But to my surprise it scooted around town very nicely. I was driving in a more city like environment than I normally drive the M5. Perhaps that skewed my perception a bit.

Anyways I beat the snot out of the right pedal and still achieved around 21mpg. Which is far better than the 13 mpg Im currently getting.

Im not going to get rid of my M5 anytime soon!!!! But certainly opened my eyes that perhaps Im paying a very steep premium for power/handling that I am unable to use on a regular basis as the M5 is my daily driver.

To reiterate, my M5 is NOT going anywhere!!! Im driving my dream car daily!!!

Anyone else driven the 528???
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

I drove a 528, 328, 335 and i also have an X5 xdrive30 and i can tell you this, all BMWs drive amazing! Im in the car business so im always driving different makes and models but BMWs just have a different feel. My M5 is a gas guzzling brute that gets me in more trouble than i want but i couldnt imagine not having it! We should all consider ourselves lucky to have such an amazing machine!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1 View Post
I was out of town over the weekend and ended up renting a 528Xi from Avis.

My M experience is M3, M3 conv, And currently 13 M5.

I have actually never driven anything less than a 550i so take that within the context of my statements.

I actually really enjoyed pushing that 528 around! I thought there would be a huge gap in perceived performance as there is on paper. But to my surprise it scooted around town very nicely. I was driving in a more city like environment than I normally drive the M5. Perhaps that skewed my perception a bit.

Anyways I beat the snot out of the right pedal and still achieved around 21mpg. Which is far better than the 13 mpg Im currently getting.

Im not going to my M5 anytime soon!!!! But certainly opened my eyes that perhaps Im paying a very steep premium for power/handling that I will or am unable to use on a regular basis as the M5 is my daily driver.

To reiterate, my M5 is NOT going anywhere!!! Im driving my dream car daily!!!

Anyone else driven the 528???
Man
I drove all of the coming BMW models as loaners
535i
528i
My 550i
And then started asking them to give me 3 series as for whatever at Hendricks BMW Charlotte they want to treat you like VIN if you have M5 and I do end up with the same 535i ever time besides I really am not VIN at all just blessed enough to afford tile beast - so now I get all others -
335i
328i
X3 different models -
328d

And last one that surprised me was 328d
It was 43k sticker and you don't even have backup camera or Satellite Radio!! No Nav!! No nothing except for nice red line sports line 2.5k option..
Well the good
1. R u kidding me 34.5 mpg (Diesel) but still I was pushing it really hard to prove that I am not wasting my money on my M5 !!! -
2. Nice red line
3. Looks cute like M5's little daughter LOL

The bad
1. Too expensive for what you get
2. Dull experience of driving,, Zero feedback
3. Acura TL same sticker price will outperforms it in every single aspect (Had Acuras before and loved them and the fully loaded is 44k)
4. I am vertically challenged -; ) but my 4 year old son complained about no leg room behind me.. but I like to stretch legs -
5. Wife liked it ... LOL
6. Old steering wheel on 2014! !
7. Diesel Engine sounded like a Fa*ting Mowing machine!!
The List goes on!

I know it is a BMW forum after all but I am saying what I believe is the truth
I would get an infinity G37 fully loaded or Acura TL fully loaded any day over this Dull 328d.

Why in earth would you want to pay that much 43k still an expensive car and insist on 40mpg! !

To each his own
Ot is marketing and customer oriented game now rather than real enthusiast oriented game even in M5 !! ..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

You do know the 528i is like 500lbs lighter than the M5 right? Also with the xDrive, it's gonna feel a lot like the M5 when taking off from a stand still. The N20 is great little engine and makes good torque. But any regular BMW whether a 3 Series, 5-Series, or 7 Series just has no soul to me.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
medman2k1
Private
Rep

RPIM5

I did not realize the weight difference.

But I do agree with you that while the car was fun, it still lacked the "it" factor of my M5.

With that said, It was a pleasant surprise what the 528 xdrive capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

I posted this in a different thread yesterday (in response to somebody's question on why 5-series sales are done so much this year). Saves me from having to write it again...

"Perhaps a lot of others have had the same impression of the basic 5 series that I did. I received one as a loaner about a year back (was driving an M3 at the time). I just found it big and unengaging. Sure, I was coming from a 3 series and an M3 at that, but I was really unimpressed. I ended up buying an M5 anyway (I am an M car freak) and absolutely love it. Best M car yet for me...the power and suspension brilliantly overcome the size and weight of the car...but that's an M5. One should not have to go to an M5 or 550 etc to enjoy the essential merits of a car or a series. That's why I am hoping that BMW does not make the next 5 series even bigger. It is so not necessary. Those were just my impressions and maybe that's part of it (i.e. why sales are down on the 5-series category)."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I was given a new F30 320i xdrive M Sport auto (on 19s) as a courtesy car last time my car was in the dealership (so fair amount lighter than a 528i xdrive). Initial impressions (in comparison to the m5) were much smoother low speed ride and fantastic traction/handling, effortless incisive steering, no less refined than the M5 CP (although less than a std. F10). Had me thinking how good a 335d xdrive would be...

...until I got to drive at higher speeds and the ride was appalling - I could not believe how much I was being jostled by the car & somewhat perplexed at why the ride fell apart in the manner it did at higher speeds. Got home & checked the tyre pressures - 39-40 PSI all around (over inflated at the front).

I changed them all to 2 PSI above the minimum setting (on cold tyres the next day) and set off again. This time, although the high speed ride was no longer unsettled, the car felt slightly worse than the M5 CP (which I run at 1 PSI above the minimum tyre pressure setting) - handling not as sharp as before. As said above, lacked that 'soul' that M cars have, i.e. it didn't feel greater than the sum of its parts. Xdrive didn't seem to be adding anything to the handling at normal public road speeds (at least in comparison to the M5 & in warm, dry weather).

Now that the weather has improved in the UK, I have also had a 'handling epiphany' in the M5 CP - it is actually very capable on tight twisty B-roads (technical roads), in fact, I have to admit it's the first time I've thought the handling was exceptional - my old adaptive drive equipped RWD F10 535d M Sport would have been left for dead on the same roads. Unfortunately 6 months of the year in UK it's too wet, cold, otherwise slippery for the PSS tyres to work as well they are currently. On that basis, I would be tempted to tick the xdrive option if it appears on the next gen, if only to cover the 6 'bad' months for M5 driving in the UK. If, however, I lived somewhere where the weather was better, I'd stick with the RWD.

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-05-2014 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's nice for us driving "normal" F10's to read positive reviews from M5 owners Sometimes it feels like some think the regular F10's are similar to a Chrysler K-car Just kidding

IMHO, the F10 is a great car that actually can be a very rewarding and fun car to drive. I do have the 3l straight six and love the sound of that with my Remus/ACS exhaust, but as RPiM5 said, the little N20 engine is a nice and responsive engine If it only had better sound...

I also found that lowering the car, upgrading the suspension and fat tires did wonders for the handling.

But, having driven both the M5 (in Manhart guise on the Autobahn) and the M6, it's like you are stepping into a different car in some respects. It's mainly the engine, transmission and ride that transforms the car IMO. It's in a different class to the regular F10! But glad someone who owns a M5 actually like the F10 528i as well
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
medman2k1
Private
Rep

I have a new found respect for the F10 in general.

Im now really curious to see how a 535i drives and handles.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
AAMC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

I've driven all the different iterations of F10's as loaners including the hybrid and the diesel. I though the hybrid was very cool (neat to see how far you can make it on electric alone), and the diesel was very torquey (was able to get the wheels to chirp).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Thanks for sharing. I only have experience on M3s (my brother has one) but recently had the pleasure of having a 528i, an X1 28i and an X3 28i as loaners. I cannot say that I *didn't* like any of them. The X1 is not the most visually pleasing, but the car was comfortable, and used barely any fuel. The X3 was comfortable, and looked great with the M Sport package. Drove quite similar to my father F15 X5 when it came to steering, I could steer with just one fingers. Cannot do that in my E70! The 528i (four cylinder) was wonderful to drive around as well. Didn't have a sport or M package, so great for "A to B" but obviously not a sports car.
Appreciate 0