Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I was going down the interstate at 85mph in a 65mph limit area and a woman in a minivan felt it was necessary to move into the left lane to block me. She was so passionate about ensuring I observe the speed limit that she got her panties in a bunch and she used her minivan laden with her own children as a human shield to enforce the speed limit.

Should we be observing the speed limits?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I don't observe the speed limits...always do at least 80 in a 65mph zone...and if someone deliberately decided to pull into the left lane or passing lane to block me in, they would get the horn as well as be cut off
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I was going down the interstate at 85mph in a 65mph limit area and a woman in a minivan felt it was necessary to move into the left lane to block me. She was so passionate about ensuring I observe the speed limit that she got her panties in a bunch and she used her minivan laden with her own children as a human shield to enforce the speed limit.

I am having full countermeasures installed tomorrow morning. However, there did not appear to be an option for anti "slow moving vehicle blocking the left hand lane" measures. Hmmmmm

Anyone have any ideas to counter this common USA HWY nuisance?

It would appear that the above mentioned minivan is as effective as a visible LEO!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I am having full countermeasures installed tomorrow morning. However, there did not appear to be an option for anti "slow moving vehicle blocking the left hand lane" measures. Hmmmmm

Anyone have any ideas to counter this common USA HWY nuisance?

It would appear that the above mentioned minivan is as effective as a visible LEO!
The most effective way to combat this is to install green strobe lights on your car like the polizei M5 car. They can be concealed in the grille.

I have this friend who works for the British government and he says that having your local quartermaster install torpedo launchers can also be very effective and also a little more satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The most effective way to combat this is to install green strobe lights on your car like the polizei M5 car. They can be concealed in the grille.

I have this friend who works for the British government and he says that having your local quartermaster install torpedo launchers can also be very effective and also a little more satisfying.
Boy do I miss the traffic flow on the Autobahn
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

you should observe the panties.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I seriously want this as a decal on my hood (reversed, of course):

12-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Wow...what a dumbass. With her kids in the car. Who the f@&k does she think she is. I would have lost my mind. Anyway... I have this same problem too. I find myself driving 10 mph faster usually than I did with my E60. You truly don't feel it as much in this car.

I have a cool idea I have always wanted to do. I wanted to take out the rear sunshade and put in white tape " why the f&$k are you n the left lane" or "move the f&$k over" . This would obviously apply after I passed them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Now that was funny!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

To answer your question; yes you "should" obey speed limits. Does that mean I always obey speed limits? No I do not.. I'm often 10 or 15 over on the freeway especially if the flow of traffic is over by the same amount. In a neighborhood or school zone, absolutely I'm at or just under the limit.

That said, during rush hour all bets are off.. I know people going various speeds will be in every lane and I just deal with it..

Now if I'm out on the freeway with relatively light traffic and I run up on a person cruising the left lane that won't give way.. I will sometimes provide a free driving lesson. I start by flashing my high beams in an attempt to ensure the driver of the car ahead of me is aware that I'm behind them. If I'm satisfied that they have said awareness and they don't give way I will do one of two things.. 1) if at night I may elect to turn on my high beams and ride close to the left line trying to get my left beam right in their driver's side mirror while the right beam is illuminating their rear view mirror. This is a fun game and gets interesting responses.. . 2) if no one else is behind me I will pass on the right (using my turn signal of course) and pull back into the left lane in front of them. I will then ease off the accelerator to allow the car to coast and decelerate down to whatever ridiculous slow speed is sufficient to dislodge the offending car from the left lane. Of course I'm watching the lane behind so as to see any oncoming traffic. Lowest speed ever achieved was 10mph but only for a for a minute. This has never failed to achieve the desired result.. Namely pissing off the left lane cruiser.

I'm not sure any if drivers realize that that any car going any speed greater than they are going has right of way to the left lane on any road where there is a posted sign indicating slower traffic keep right. The sign is clear and does not mean slower traffic keep right unless you citizen believe you are entitled to enforce what you think is a reasonable limit. In fact, failure to give right away is against the law and left lane cruisers are law breakers. The idea being, you don't know why someone is going faster than you or the posted limit and the law requires you to give way. The other car could be in a legitimate emergency. I doubt they get all that from my lesson but in my self righteous and egotistical way I'm happy..

P.s. I never apply this lessons in my M5; only when in my F150 which I'm fully prepared to swap paint with.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Falcao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
To answer your question; yes you "should" obey speed limits. Does that mean I always obey speed limits? No I do not.. I'm often 10 or 15 over on the freeway especially if the flow of traffic is over by the same amount. In a neighborhood or school zone, absolutely I'm at or just under the limit.

That said, during rush hour all bets are off.. I know people going various speeds will be in every lane and I just deal with it..

Now if I'm out on the freeway with relatively light traffic and I run up on a person cruising the left lane that won't give way.. I will sometimes provide a free driving lesson. I start by flashing my high beams in an attempt to ensure the driver of the car ahead of me is aware that I'm behind them. If I'm satisfied that they have said awareness and they don't give way I will do one of two things.. 1) if at night I may elect to turn on my high beams and ride close to the left line trying to get my left beam right in their driver's side mirror while the right beam is illuminating their rear view mirror. This is a fun game and gets interesting responses.. . 2) if no one else is behind me I will pass on the right (using my turn signal of course) and pull back into the left lane in front of them. I will then ease off the accelerator to allow the car to coast and decelerate down to whatever ridiculous slow speed is sufficient to dislodge the offending car from the left lane. Of course I'm watching the lane behind so as to see any oncoming traffic. Lowest speed ever achieved was 10mph but only for a for a minute. This has never failed to achieve the desired result.. Namely pissing off the left lane cruiser.

I'm not sure any if drivers realize that that any car going any speed greater than they are going has right of way to the left lane on any road where there is a posted sign indicating slower traffic keep right. The sign is clear and does not mean slower traffic keep right unless you citizen believe you are entitled to enforce what you think is a reasonable limit. In fact, failure to give right away is against the law and left lane cruisers are law breakers. The idea being, you don't know why someone is going faster than you or the posted limit and the law requires you to give way. The other car could be in a legitimate emergency. I doubt they get all that from my lesson but in my self righteous and egotistical way I'm happy..

P.s. I never apply this lessons in my M5; only when in my F150 which I'm fully prepared to swap paint with.

You are my HERO. I was going to ask if you encountered a nutcase while executing Option2 that did not mind swapping paint but i saw you do it with other cars and not the M5

I am old and not an advocate of confrontation on the highway while in the M5 because chances are the M5 costs 10x more than a beat up minivan and not worth the effort really. I would just overtake on the right and be on the way. I would however take the car up to rev limiter and with aftermarket exhaust can be equivalent of f... you when passing offending car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Stealth, i see what you did here. Very clever. It seems no one else picked up on it though. Too bad. Maybe a link to thread that inspired you?
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
efm9821
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E46 M3

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
All great ideas on counter-measures, I love 'em! The sunshade option intrigues me!

This past weekend, I was driving through NC (East side of the Smokies) loving the M5's handling, came up and over a rise and LEO gave me the Instant On at the crest, no other traffic around, 4 wide, beautiful lanes, 55mph speed limit ... obvious trap that I fell in!. Even my STiR Plus and LI's, I was tagged for a lowly 75mph (going over 80mph, LEO said he liked my car with a smirk!).

I too dearly miss the autobahn!

Drive safe all and watch out for the LEOs!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm9821
All great ideas on counter-measures, I love 'em! The sunshade option intrigues me!

This past weekend, I was driving through NC (East side of the Smokies) loving the M5's handling, came up and over a rise and LEO gave me the Instant On at the crest, no other traffic around, 4 wide, beautiful lanes, 55mph speed limit ... obvious trap that I fell in!. Even my STiR Plus and LI's, I was tagged for a lowly 75mph (going over 80mph, LEO said he liked my car with a smirk!).

I too dearly miss the autobahn!

Drive safe all and watch out for the LEOs!
That is painful. A ticket with all those countermeasures in place and operational?
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

I see what you did there
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

haha, looks like u got ur panties in a bunch by the other thread

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Should we be replying to this thread
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

LOL @ all the replies..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
haha, looks like u got ur panties in a bunch by the other thread
No I was just bored. Was on a three hour flight last night, had no movies, but had wifi access...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

What I do with people like that is I make eye contact with and give them a big THUMBS DOWN
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:

Yes you do.

The countermeasures you have in your car are just to get hot chicks.

Hot chicks love the minutiae auto technology* In college I dragged plenty of hot ass out of bars with my explanation of HP vs Torque.

* In order for this to work properly you must also be good looking, rich and have a huge package.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

you should have just blasted past her and gave her the finger