Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Closed Thread

03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Active Sound

The new M5 is certainly a great, maybe an epic car. Supercar acceleration, the most luxurious M5 ever, and beats the crap out of the E60 and most cars on the track. All this for around $100K.

Amazing.

But nothing is perfect, and for me, the big issue is Active Sound. I can understand this doesn't matter to a lot of people, and that's great. But who says you have to think every single thing about your car is great? Not me. My E60 M5 was the best car I've ever had - 130,000 miles worth. But the SMG sucked. Compared to the DCT in the M5 it was borderline consumer abuse.

I don't understand people talking about 'haters' complaining about Active Sound, and saying 'I love the engine sound'. Well, you're not hearing your engine sound. It's ok to not care, and that's probably the best reason to not worry about it. But the "I love the engine sound" is ridiculous. I love the new M5, but the Active Sound does suck, and like the SMG, maybe BMW will do something about it if there is enough noise (real) from enthusiasts.

Last edited by mdh; 03-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: change
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Turbo cars are hard to make sounds like the N54 V8.

My M3 is blissful but at times I wish it was not so and made power more economically.

We are all enthusiasts but BMW is dealing with the reality of what the M5 needs to be to sell.

I am sure the new M3 will be much more the purists car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
savarona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, M5, 3.0cs, e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh
The new M5 is certainly a great, maybe an epic car. Supercar acceleration, the most luxurious M5 ever, and beats the crap out of the E60 and most cars on the track. All this for around $100K.

Amazing.

But nothing is perfect, and for me, the big issue is Active Sound. I can understand this doesn't matter to a lot of people, and that's great. But who says you have to think every single thing about your car is great? Not me. My E60 M5 was the best car I've ever had - 130,000 miles worth. But the SMG sucked. Compared to the DCT in the M5 it was borderline consumer abuse.

I don't understand people talking about 'haters' complaining about Active Sound, and saying 'I love the engine sound'. Well, you're not hearing your engine sound. It's ok to not care, and that's probably the best reason to not worry about it. But the "I love the engine sound" is ridiculous. I love the new M5, but the Active Sound does suck, and like the SMG, maybe BMW will do something about it if there is enough noise (real) from enthusiasts.
Still i think the M5 sound is lovely.
And i dont think and believe the deep and bass sound i hear when i play with the gas is comming from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
beemerman1984
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Hummer H1

I thought ActiveSound could be turned off? Otherwise as soon as you added an exhaust system the note from the speakers would be off from what the car actually sounds like?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post

Amazing.

I think you are referring to my comment about loving the engine sound. To be clear I was obviously referring to the sound the engine makes - ie windows down so all I can hear is the engine sound coming in.

Have you heard the F10M live ? If not I suggest you reserve your judgment until you have done so.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
04S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savarona View Post
Still i think the M5 sound is lovely.
And i dont think and believe the deep and bass sound i hear when i play with the gas is comming from the speakers.
I tend to agree Savarona, but to be honest I cannot tell unless I have a window down.

Either way it is not an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
04S
Captain
Rep

The other thing to point out mdh is that I am sure that in time you will be able to program out the active sound if you like. The DVD in Motion guys can code your car so that the TV etc works on the move, and remove the annoying iDrive disclaimer on start up, so I am sure in time if there is enough demand they will be able to code off the active sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
mdh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
The other thing to point out mdh is that I am sure that in time you will be able to program out the active sound if you like. The DVD in Motion guys can code your car so that the TV etc works on the move, and remove the annoying iDrive disclaimer on start up, so I am sure in time if there is enough demand they will be able to code off the active sound.
You mean program like this?

Even the diehards have to think this is hilarious...

And in terms of having to hear it before I reserve judgement, I don't have to know what a lip-synch sounds like to know I don't like it. I don't care how good it sounds, I'd rather hear the real thing.

The aftermarket exhaust thing is certainly real. Nobody has figured out how to address the 'two exhaust sounds' yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

The clip is mildly amusing, but rather puerile. Like Aussie, I would say reserve judgement til you hear it. With windows up, you actually can't really hear much at all. With windows down, you hear the lovely sound of the engine/exhaust and good grief is it bassy - that's something you cannot hear from any video of the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I'll reserve judgement until I see it/drive it.

If its the worst thing of this car I bet BMW will work on a way to disable by the user.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Active sound mimics the engine note, but it's not a lot they are playing back to u anyway. The bulk of the sound still comes from the exhaust LIVE. I have heard the exhaust note when the valet drove my car off on the outside. Boy, was it aggressive. It sounds almost like it was about to take a bite off the cars around it. I hear that same sound in the car as well albeit not as loud. Active sound does not play a big part in the whole aural experience cos the best sound in this car still comes from the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Active sound mimics the engine note, but it's not a lot they are playing back to u anyway. The bulk of the sound still comes from the exhaust LIVE. I have heard the exhaust note when the valet drove my car off on the outside. Boy, was it aggressive. It sounds almost like it was about to take a bite off the cars around it. I hear that same sound in the car as well albeit not as loud. Active sound does not play a big part in the whole aural experience cos the best sound in this car still comes from the exhaust.
Put perfectly, I think!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
I cant wait for Clarksons comments on that one...
      03-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81
Yeah he'll prob bitch until he joins the car sideways for 1/2 mile on the airstrip. He will forgive. He slayed the orig M5 until he hit the M button
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81
Yeah he'll prob bitch until he joins the car sideways for 1/2 mile on the airstrip. He will forgive. He slayed the orig M5 until he hit the M button
Clarkson is typical and predictable. If the review starts bad, it will end up very good. The worse it starts, the better it will end. And the opposite holds true as well :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Clarkson is typical and predictable. If the review starts bad, it will end up very good. The worse it starts, the better it will end. And the opposite holds true as well :-)
Yes, and everything in between is automobile comedic genius!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Yeah Clarkson is hilarious but a bit a brute insulting US watchers. He's classic Brit in that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
mdh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
He will definitely make some kind of absurd segment that takes 'Active Sound' to the limit - probably not unlike the video I posted. I mean, they just won't be able to let that sit without poking BMW in the eye.

I do think he will give the car a spectacular review though, and I think it's going to surprise a lot of people with an outrageously good lap time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
mdh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
...mildly amusing, but rather puerile.
You could say that about most of us on this Board...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
He will definitely make some kind of absurd segment that takes 'Active Sound' to the limit - probably not unlike the video I posted. I mean, they just won't be able to let that sit without poking BMW in the eye.

I do think he will give the car a spectacular review though, and I think it's going to surprise a lot of people with an outrageously good lap time.
you know they should.. its a bad idea.. you have a twin turbo V8 and you need engine sound enhancement?!!

they will give a spectacular review because its a great car, but the joke at the end its going to be for that hope bmw don't tell them and they don't find out.. we will know on sunday
      03-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Before we start looking fwd to this Sunday again, is it actually on this Sunday - where is the proof? hmm? well? I thought so. There is no proof. its all a conspiracy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #22
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
But nothing is perfect, and for me, the big issue is Active Sound. I can understand this doesn't matter to a lot of people, and that's great. But who says you have to think every single thing about your car is great? Not me.
Have you test driven the F10 M5?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread