BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

BMW Master Tech - quick response needed

So my car is currently with my local service centre having the Drivetrain Malfunction Error looked at...

They have run full diagnostics and think that the software update has fixed the problem...

However....I have been told that the master tech wants to take the car home overnight and retest in the morning to make sure the problem does not come back...

Ive intially said yes to taking it home but I now feel very unconfortable....

Am I over-reacting here or should I just accept that this is needed to help fix the problem???

Would you let them take your car??
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So my car is currently with my local service centre having the Drivetrain Malfunction Error looked at...

They have run full diagnostics and think that the software update has fixed the problem...

However....I have been told that the master tech wants to take the car home overnight and retest in the morning to make sure the problem does not come back...

Ive intially said yes to taking it home but I now feel very unconfortable....

Am I over-reacting here or should I just accept that this is needed to help fix the problem???

Would you let them take your car??
Install a Dashcam before you let him take it.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Install a Dashcam before you let him take it.
That doesn't work, they disconnect them.

I wouldn't worry about it, Master Tech's are responsible guys and wouldn't risk their job to do something stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Why is necessary for him to take your car home? Why can't they just go for another proper test drive tomorrow? I would never allow this.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
steveM5-UK
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Why is necessary for him to take your car home? Why can't they just go for another proper test drive tomorrow? I would never allow this.
I have to agree. No reason to take home.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

No issue. Car is insured, they are insured. It's just a car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

My dealer wanted to keep the car overnight as well when it was updated. They wanted to have a good cold start done to verify everything checked out.
      02-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
I agree and if something goes awry, they are responsible. However, let me tell you a story related to me by an retired cop buddy whom I bowl with.

He said he rolled up to a pretty bad accident with a Mercedes SL500 where the guy had run it off the road into a fence but he was basically OK. The car was ruined and when Wayne asked the guy where he wanted it towed, the guy replied, "I guess back to the shop". Turns out the guy was the shop manager for the dealership and had borrowed a customer car for a date that night............
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Why? Is it colder at his house than outside the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
steveM5-UK
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
Just... just.... just a car!...... Never!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Personally I would have an issue with it. I would tell them to garage it indoors at dealership and drive it again in the morning, but they can't take it home.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

You should take it home and see if it corrected the issue. If it didn't then take it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@undercovertuning View Post
Lol trust me your car isn't worth a career even if he sold it for $200,000 to a buyer it's not worth it.
It's odd that hes taking it home yes as being at the dealership would be the same cold starts etc etc but hey if the guy wants to take his girlfriend out in a m5 for the night or show off...let him go for it, long as there is tread left on the tires and nothing is DAMAGED OR BROKEN whatever its only a car as most have said and most tech's are responsible and just doing their job to the best of their ability.
Put it this way if he never said he was taking it home you'd never question it.

Lawerence@undercover

Not what I would want to hear from someone who appears to be in the business of temporarily possessing customer cars, but that's just me.

Absolutely not for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Not what I would want to hear from someone who appears to be in the business of temporarily possessing customer cars, but that's just me.

Absolutely not for me.
Agreed! In what world is it reasonable for me to be providing perks (at my expense: wear and tear, gas, risk of damage) to the master tech?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

I would be OK with them parking it outdoors at the dealership overnight to ensure a true "cold start" but would not authorize the tech to take it home. I never worked at a dealership, but I did valet and know what can, and does happen with customers cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

they took my x5m home once, i was not comfortable with it at all but my dad told me not to worry at the time. long story short the car never was really fixed.
2019 Audi Q8
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #17
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

You guys are equating the car to a Veyron or Ferrari F40. As it has been said multiple times, a Master tech is not going to risk his career on taking the car for a joy ride. Do you guys even realize how hard it is to become a master tech in the first place? To each his own. If the car is that special to you, take her home.

As for my car, the master tech couldn't give it any more hell than I put mine through.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:29 AM   #18
rjn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 LCI

A car dealer wrote off my Ferrari F12 last year. Since then, I am somewhat concerned with any driving off premises. However key questions to ask and satisfy yourself:

1. Does insurance policy cover "any time" use - most are limited to business hours.
2. Does policy cover taking car 'home' - doesn't sound like required work purposes.
3. Is tech an 'employee' of level covered by that policy - most policies have exclusions for self employed consultants and specific job classes only.
4. When was tech's driving licence last checked to confirm they have not been banned/licence suspended as that invalidates cover.
5. What steps are needed to be taken to put your car on cover. Most policies require non owned/stock vehicles to be pre notified.
6. Do they agree that any damage however slight is their responsibility howsoever occurring, ie they don't just have to take reasonable care, and if any damage is not their fault as such, they will still sort it out.
7. Any damage/loss will be cured on an indemnity basis - they will pay whatever it takes to fix or replace the car, not the loss of value. To include sourcing a new M5 if it's written off.
8. As between you and the dealer, it's agreed that they will pay to cure any damage, irrespective of whether their insurance applies, whether in whole or part.

Given at least 1 of the above will be a no, I would not let a dealer's employee leave their premises in any of my cars. But if you are relaxed and understand the potential risks, go for it.

Last edited by rjn21; 02-26-2015 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:32 AM   #19
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I never let anyone take mine off the lot w/o the service advisor or me present. I don't care if they are insured or not. Too many war stories to go around. And I agree w rnj21
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:49 AM   #20
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Here is a scenario where the request makes (more) sense:

The business location doing the repairs typically keeps vehicles inside for insurance, space, or reasons of history with break-ins/thefts/vandalism.

The residence of the Master Tech is in a safer location to allow the car to sit outside and truly be "cold".

My .02 cents....you were already willing to trust the company and the master tech to work on your car in the shop. Unless you told them they could not test drive it, could not move it into or out of the garage bays without you driving, and you "hovered" over them and it the whole time it was there, then equivalent risk was already extended.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:45 AM   #21
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

So I actually called up my serivce tech yesterday after initially saying yes to the request and said that I felt very unconfortable with the car going "away" overnight...

He seemed very understanding and pretty much there and then advised that the software update that was carried out seems to have rectified the problems and the car is no longer throwing any faults...

Hopefully this Drive Train Malfunction issue is now resolved and I will be picking the car up later today..

Hopefully all is well....

I have to admit, there is no circumstance that I can understand why a car would need to be taken over night....If it is a matter of doing an extended test drive, then carry it out over normal working ours....

If Im honest I would not even let my closest friends take my car overnight as I have to admit im super anal about my car....Ive worked hard for it and the end of the day and is more than "just a car" to me.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Just re-read this post. Yeah, no reason for it to leave the lot!