love that tipss...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #112
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

All debate issues aside, that is one of the best exhaust notes I have ever heard. What a damn beast.
      04-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #113
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
1: BMW and other manufacturers use vendors/suppliers for lot's of parts. The stock exhaust system is probably made by Bosal or someone else (so not a "BMW" exhaust).

2: The stock M5 has to cater for a very diversified customer group. The stock exhaust (even though it might be on the conservative side) has to adhere to those needs. People willing to buy a sports exhaust is a very small percentage of the M5 owners. Those owners are also willing to accept more interior noise etc.

3: Instead of seeing all of this aftermarket business in the hands of outside companies, BMW wants to have a slice of that cake (after all they are a private company that first and foremost needs to make money to exist). It's not like BMW makes the M cars out of altruism...

4: No one HAS to buy the exhaust system. Why not just applaud BMW for making the effort to supply a ///M exhaust. After all if it's ok for other suppliers to charge money for upgrades, why isn't it ok when BMW steps into the same market?

BTW. The AC Schnitzer exhausts are made by REMUS...
AMEN!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #114
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Oh Puhleeeze...If this exhaust came standard on the M5, half the people here would still buy an aftermarket system to attempt to differentiate their car. It's just that you feel entitled to any LCI upgrades or anything new gratis. And what really digs at you is that the BMW exhaust will have little M badges on the exhaust tips, and you WANT THAT. And face it, if they introduced a La Cucaracha horn, you'd want that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedwheel View Post
For the money M5 buyers spent to start with, BMW should be upgrading the cars for nothing ( $ 0.00) to the buyer as a thank you for being a loyal customer and spending $ 100,000.000 for a vehicle that is depreciating at record numbers because BMW over saturated the market place with them.
I am not sure where you went to business school, but you should ask for your tuition back. BMW is not a charity, nor it is cooperative or a union or any other beneficial entity. It is a business that has the fiduciary obligation to maximize return to its shareholders. We so often lose sight of the fact that BMW's mission is not to ensure the continuous and everlasting happiness of that very small percentage of its customers who are enthusiasts.

Should they be considerate of a lotal customer base? Of course. But we so often expect that the tail should wag the dog.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #115
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Looks like akrapovic is making the M Perf. exhausts now which is awesome. No brainer for BMW to go with such a precision exhaust manufacturer.
      04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #116
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

I'll probably get it. I like the akrapovic sound and the fact that it's branded as an M product makes it even better in my mind.

What are the tradeoffs between titanium and CF tips? Purely cosmetic?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #117
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

honestly would have liked to see this stock. Despite the wolf in sheep's clothing, the M should be differentiated and this sound should have been with the car all along. Certainly the PhDs cited in a previous article should have been working on this from day 1 rather than an active sound diffuser.

much harder for me to justify to the wife and kids that the car needs to be louder and spend more money. If it was stock, there would be no alternative. raise the base price if necessary for this research/part, but make it stock.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #118
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
It's pretty funny how Mercedes don't need any help making their own beastly performance exhausts for their AMG cars and they sound awesome while BMW needs to co-operate with an aftermarket performance exhaust manufacturer to get the job done

I like the new exhaust and the way it sounds But I still believe that it should have been offered from the start, not two years later, and you'll have to pay for it too..

P.s. On paper a turbo should dampen the rumble noise of the V8 (like the F10 M5), but in the case of the 5.5L V8 TT E63 AMG it just doesn't! how were Mercedes AMG able to get that amazing exhaust noise from a twin-turbo engine? Both the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 E63 AMG and the 5.5L V8 twin-turbo AMG sound very similar and you can hear the V8 rumble on both cars too.. it's like the 5.5L V8 TT is just another naturally aspirated V8.

Only thing I admire about these AMG is just their exhaust note! But too bad that's not enough to convince to buy one.. I wish BMW M cars had a distinctive exhaust note like that..
AMG does NOT make their own exhausts, Eisenmann does (logical since Eisenmann are based in Stuttgart):

http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/sub/aboutus.php

So no LOL on BMW there I guess...

Fact checking is a sometimes underestimated art

The BMW M5 has a distinctive exhaust note. It does NOT sound like a V8 due to it's crossbank exhaust manifold, effectively replicating the exhaust scavenging benefits and sound characteristics of a flat plane cranked V8 (but without that designs vibration issues).

In my mind the AMG's sound good, but it's "just" another V8 rumble. The M5 has a distinctive sound and does not sound like a V8. The AMG does not have a distinctive sound since it has the same V8 rumble any other V8 has (not saying it doesn't sound good, but it sounds typically "V8ish" where the M5 does not).

Whether one likes/prefers the M5 or AMG sound is a different question alltogether.

Last edited by Boss330; 04-24-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #119
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

The BMW M5 has a distinctive exhaust note. It does NOT sound like a V8 due to it's crossbank exhaust manifold, effectively replicating the sound characteristics of a flat plane cranked V8.

In my mind the AMG's sound good, but it's "just" another V8 rumble. The M5 has a distinctive sound and does not sound like a V8, the AMG does not have a distinctive sound since it has the same V8 rumble any other V8 has (not saying it doesn't sound good, but it sounds typically "V8ish" where the M5 does not).
EXACTLY!!!

I think I have already proved this as well. I can definitely hear that flat-plane type exhaust note with my unique exhaust design. When I put catless downpipes in soon, in combination with my muffler deleted exhaust system should further illustrate this point. My F10 M5 sounds nothing like an AMG.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #120
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7
It's pretty funny how Mercedes don't need any help making their own beastly performance exhausts for their AMG cars and they sound awesome while BMW needs to co-operate with an aftermarket performance exhaust manufacturer to get the job done

I like the new exhaust and the way it sounds But I still believe that it should have been offered from the start, not two years later, and you'll have to pay for it too..

P.s. On paper a turbo should dampen the rumble noise of the V8 (like the F10 M5), but in the case of the 5.5L V8 TT E63 AMG it just doesn't! how were Mercedes AMG able to get that amazing exhaust noise from a twin-turbo engine? Both the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 E63 AMG and the 5.5L V8 twin-turbo AMG sound very similar and you can hear the V8 rumble on both cars too.. it's like the 5.5L V8 TT is just another naturally aspirated V8.

Only thing I admire about these AMG is just their exhaust note! But too bad that's not enough to convince to buy one.. I wish BMW M cars had a distinctive exhaust note like that..
You do realize that Eisenmann makes OEM AMG exhausts right?
I have two AMG's, S63 and S65, both carry Eisenmann exhaust.

And to everyone else, if you knew the extremely LONG list BMW Individual had to go through for my Individual M5 order (they needed to contact various vendors for changes to my car), you would look at things differently.

BMW can't be the best at EVERYTHING. I applaud BMW for CHOOSING the best suppliers. Don't you love your DCT? Thank Getrag. Don't you love the quality of the MPE? Thank Akra. Thank M for building a great M car and choosing the right vendors to make it an excellent M car.
      04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #121
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
You do realize that Eisenmann makes OEM AMG exhausts right?
I have two AMG's, S63 and S65, both carry Eisenmann exhaust.

And to everyone else, if you knew the extremely LONG list BMW Individual had to go through for my Individual M5 order (they needed to contact various vendors for changes to my car), you would look at things differently.

BMW can't be the best at EVERYTHING. I applaud BMW for CHOOSING the best suppliers. Don't you love your DCT? Thank Getrag. Don't you love the quality of the MPE? Thank Akra. Thank M for building a great M car and choosing the right vendors to make it an excellent M car.

Akra and Getrag both offer various products for people and companies other than BMW.
+1

OEM SL63 black series (OEM AMG exhaust made by Eisenmann)
      04-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #122
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
The weight if this and the akra isn't the same... But they are similar. Someone explain why!
I see someone else has noticed it.

Arka is 27 pounds lighter, BMW is 33 pounds lighter. 6 pounds discrepancy.

Maybe BMW is getting rid of all the active sound bits when installing M exhaust? That would make sense and would make more people choose M over Arka (since general consensus is that active sounds sucks).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #123
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Michael
I'll probably get it. I like the akrapovic sound and the fact that it's branded as an M product makes it even better in my mind.

What are the tradeoffs between titanium and CF tips? Purely cosmetic?
They got one! Fire up one akra-m exhaust.
      04-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #124
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E90Rostik View Post
I see someone else has noticed it.

Arka is 27 pounds lighter, BMW is 33 pounds lighter. 6 pounds discrepancy.

Maybe BMW is getting rid of all the active sound bits when installing M exhaust? That would make sense and would make more people choose M over Arka (since general consensus is that active sounds sucks).
Active sound won't explain 6 pounds. Must be something else. Maybe it's one piece as opposed 2 piece saving weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #125
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Active sound won't explain 6 pounds. Must be something else. Maybe it's one piece as opposed 2 piece saving weight.
That would make sense if it was one pieced.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #126
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Does not look like one piece, as the joint where the muffler meets the center pipe is exactly the same as the Akra. Technically speaking the Akra is 5 pieces, the forward section, middle, and two mufflers...

The only thing on this that would explain a 6lb delta would be a delete of the cast titanium x-pipe and/or resonators. Highly doubting this modification vs. he Akra. I'm guessing that since this is a "pre production" version the weight will change in the production version to be very similar.

Too bad the pics don't show the forward section of the exhaust...that would tell us more.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #127
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirz1000 View Post
The $8k Akra is a full system isn't it? I don't think this m performance exhaust will be $10k. Probably in the $5k range.
It would have to be the whole system to be a direct bolt on?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black

Last edited by mwlmd; 04-24-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #128
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Has anyone looked at the Porsche option sheet for the 991 S? They charge you a fortune for everything. There is even an exhaust option. And BMW didn't charge more for the DCT. They could have charged $5K.

I think all this complaining is a joke. If you want an exhaust buy one. No one is forcing you to. If you want one but can't afford it tough shit.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #129
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Has anyone looked at the Porsche option sheet for the 991 S? They charge you a fortune for everything. There is even an exhaust option. And BMW didn't charge more for the DCT. They could have charged $5K.

I think all this complaining is a joke. If you want an exhaust buy one. No one is forcing you to. If you want one but can't afford it tough shit.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #130
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
No car manufacturers make their own exhausts (or much of anything beyond the core motor and the design of exterior and interior). I believe Eisenmann makes the exhausts for Mercedes AMG.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #131
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

If it wasn't stated earlier, Boysen is the OEM for the M5 "stock" exhaust and exhaust manifold. Not sure about the cats/downpipes and intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #132
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post

+2

Porsche does rape you on everything. Their leather isn't even that great compared to the Nappa leather that BMW has.

Appreciate 0