04-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #155
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueCheese View Post
For me, this isn't a race-car.
For me this IS a race car, but with 4 doors! LOL!

Last edited by RPiM5; 04-24-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #156
Lee Anthony
Rep
Drives: 2008 M6

Chrome Oval tips and i'm SOLD!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
For me this is a race car, but with 4 doors! LOL!
See, everyone's different. And your car sounds AWESOME. I spent my lunch at work today watching your videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #158
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg
BMW=marketing genius

Performance car maker mehhhhh
They make original sound just ok, just they can push a system they could have just put on the car in the first place. Genius!
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #159
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueCheese View Post
For me, this isn't a race-car. It's a comfortable car with a lot of the toys I want from a modern car, and more than enough power that I can mash the lol pedal and really go, when I want to. I live just outside a city center in what we call in England a semi-detached house - I share walls with neighbors. I leave for work around 6:00 in the morning, while those people are still in bed, and I have to roll through residential areas. I don't want the car to sound like an AMG, or a prancing horse ALL THE TIME. That said, when it gets going some audible hint that the engine is doing something is good, in order to avoid piling in to corners still doing 120. That's what the Active Sound is for.

My car, when it arrives in June, will not be Monte Carlo Blue or Frozen Black or Sakhir Orange. It won't be badged M5 on the back. It won't disturb my neighbors any more than it needs to - it's German engineering, in an understated British manner. I won't be buying the performance exhaust, because it doesn't build the car I'm after. It's all down to what you want to achieve and whether you want to modify your car, and as I see it this is just another aftermarket exhaust system for the list of choises. Buy it or don't, but don't whine that the option exists if you were going to buy an aftermarket exhaust anyway. You haven't lost choices, you've gained one.
Well said.
      04-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #160
BavarianDr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

from the looks of the titanium pipes and all the welds, looks exactly the same as The Akrapovic Titanium Evolution I have on my 335i.. I used to have a sticker that said ELS aka Expensive Lightweight Shit!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #161
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5
Why is it a negative that this is made by Akra? I am hoping you will be able to order it from the factory and save a bit since you should only be covering the incremental cost over the stock system - plus the toll charge.
+1

From everything I've heard Akra makes a fine product.

Is anyone going to be upset If BBS is the OEM for the competition wheels? Or, Brembro for the ceramic brakes?

Once this is launched, it probably won't command much of a premium over the Akra (if we use the E9X M3 as a guide).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #162
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added our second video clip for you guys. Enjoy.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #163
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Has anybody seen any indication whether we will be able to order this as a stand alone (e.g., not part of the competition package) option from the factory or will we need to buy it as a dealer add on? Theoretically, it should be less expensive as an option and I am not interested in the Comp package as I don't care for ceramic brakes. I also still have my stock E60 exhaust stored in the basement for no good reason and prefer not to waste another one.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #164
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post

Well said.
+1
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #165
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Has anybody seen any indication whether we will be able to order this as a stand alone (e.g., not part of the competition package) option from the factory or will we need to buy it as a dealer add on? Theoretically, it should be less expensive as an option and I am not interested in the Comp package as I don't care for ceramic brakes. I also still have my stock E60 exhaust stored in the basement for no good reason and prefer not to waste another one.
The M Performance Exhaust will be available as a stand alone option.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #166
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

I sent my dealer an email about the M performance exhaust. I found the response pretty amusing:

Quote:
I did some more checking around on this m performance exhaust. It appears that BMW is working with akrapovic to make this exhaust. It appears that these are already available and we have actually installed one on a new M5. I talked to service and supposedly this will not void the warranty if you are interested. They said that when the installed the one on the M5 the cost was about $10,000 for it. Here is a link to the exhaust.

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Automoti...ine+(Titanium)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #167
LonghornM5
Rep
Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

Quote:
For me this IS a race car, but with 4 doors! LOL!
+ Eleventybillion.

I have 2 kids. Thus, I don't have my 911 anymore so this is my race car (whenever they aren't in it).

That being said, I'm glad BMW will be offering some factory performance options, if they included them all (brakes, exhaust, suspension) the car would be overpriced for the majority. I have no problem with the way BMW does it because it allows for lots of tuners/customization and that's a major reason I got rid of my '10 E63.

For me, I think I'll just get the Turner ($1500 or so) with hp and sound gains and use the rest on a Dinan SW upgrade when available.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #168
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornM5 View Post
+ Eleventybillion.

I have 2 kids. Thus, I don't have my 911 anymore so this is my race car (whenever they aren't in it).
Nice! I don't have any kids, I'm not even married. I just use my extra seats to transport 19 year old girls around in it on Targa Trophy rally's. I'm 34 years old by the way. And the funny part is that you all think that I'm kidding. LOL!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #169
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Michael View Post
I sent my dealer an email about the M performance exhaust. I found the response pretty amusing:
AND... There's the REAL benefit! NO VOIDANCE OF WARRANTY. So you can basically get an Akrapovic exhaust for your M5 without having to worry about it voiding your warranty. This must be the reason for the extra $2,000 over the cost of the Akra exhaust's $8K cost. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #170
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

Quote:
AND... There's the REAL benefit! NO VOIDANCE OF WARRANTY. So you can basically get an Akrapovic exhaust for your M5 without having to worry about it voiding your warranty. This must be the reason for the extra $2,000 over the cost of the Akra exhaust's $8K cost. Lol!
But the "M Performance Exhaust" is not available yet. My dealer is offering to install an Akrapovic, not the BMW branded version but literally an exhaust ordered from Akrapovic, for $10k without voiding the warranty. They are saying to not bother waiting for the BMW branded product as it will likely be no different from what is available now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #171
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Michael View Post
But the "M Performance Exhaust" is not available yet. My dealer is offering to install an Akrapovic, not the BMW branded version but literally an exhaust ordered from Akrapovic, for $10k without voiding the warranty. They are saying to not bother waiting for the BMW branded product as it will likely be no different from what is available now.
Yeah that's what I meant by "basically." The ///M Performance Exhaust is not out yet, but when it does come out, we can order one with our M5 build order and it'll be under warranty just like the regular stock exhaust. But yeah an ///M Performance exhaust for $10,000 is too much, even if it is an Akra.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #172
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I'm 32 and not married yet. This will change Oct 5th.
To me it's a personal preference when it comes to body style. Some will say that if you really want to go fast get a light performance coupe or an exotic.
I personally like 4 door saloons and could care less about opinions such as "why the hell are we modding a whale to go faster". Well, you already own a whale because that was your preference to begin with and if you want to make it quicker than stock then you must enjoy it.
On the other hand, many companies are taking advantage of this expensive car market and they realize they can actually increase their profit margins if they come out with their product first. I agree that Akra provides nice weld quality and overall design, but it is definitely not worth the money. My opinion might be coming from my import days, but at the end of the day it's the same material and same labor involved, especially when it comes to exhausts and dp's.

Dave, there are many 19 year olds to go around. Maybe next time when the F10 arrives we can all give them rides. My fiance would be thrilled.
      04-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #173
robotrenegade
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2015 X5d  [10.00]
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1984 Trans-AM  [10.00]
I'm ready to order!

///M5 | F10 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Merino Leather | Anthracite Wood Trim | DCT | Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #174
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

10 grand. Funny guys. 10 percent of the price of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #175
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I'm 32 and not married yet. This will change Oct 5th.
To me it's a personal preference when it comes to body style. Some will say that if you really want to go fast get a light performance coupe or an exotic.
I personally like 4 door saloons and could care less about opinions such as "why the hell are we modding a whale to go faster". Well, you already own a whale because that was your preference to begin with and if you want to make it quicker than stock then you must enjoy it.
On the other hand, many companies are taking advantage of this expensive car market and they realize they can actually increase their profit margins if they come out with their product first. I agree that Akra provides nice weld quality and overall design, but it is definitely not worth the money. My opinion might be coming from my import days, but at the end of the day it's the same material and same labor involved, especially when it comes to exhausts and dp's.

Dave, there are many 19 year olds to go around. Maybe next time when the F10 arrives we can all give them rides. My fiance would be thrilled.
I agree about the ///M tax. I find it somewhat irritating that identical exhaust systems are up charged based on the cost of the car or what the maker "thinks people will be willing to pay."

But as long as people keep shelling out money for these overpriced steel and titanium tubes there will be no end in sight. Oh well.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #176
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exciting. I like the Akrapovic tips
Appreciate 0