Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

02-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Interested in the M5

Hi guys,
I X-shopping the M5 and the X5M - I posted on the X5M board HERE. I know they are two differant cars but I want something bigger than my E90...I am thinking the X5M BC it is xDrive..not sure how manageable the power of the M5 is.

I am curious to know what the folks in Canada are paying for their M5's whether leased or financed and what the numbers (down/monthly/balloon or residual)?

Sorry hope that is not too personal
      02-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I am in Toronto too. I have the M5 since Sep 2012 and having now driven in 2 winters already (given this winter is way too cold & too much snow & ice), I would say the M is a capable daily drive car. The most important aspect of this being a DD is to have proper winter tires, A MUST not an option. Power delivery in snowy & icy weather is not an issue, as long as you are driving with common sense and with due care. The M can go thru any snowy weather with up to about 15cm or so and anything over 20cm will be a bit more tricky to drive.

Given any big snow storms in the GTA, the roads will be cleared very quickly thus you may not have any significant issues on the road unless it's an ice storm which we had back in December 2013.

As for the X5M, I guess you would be looking at the next generation one, I have already heard that it will have more power than the current M5 and you definitely will have no issue with the GTA winter weather on this monster.

My M5 is bought outright (got about 3% discount but was given a huge favorable trade in for my 2011 550xdrive) thus giving me the flexibility to change car whenever I desire. As a matter of fact, I am already in the hunt for my next vehicle, if everything goes well, I am thinking of picking up a Porsche Macan Turbo comes this Fall.

Therefore, whatever you end up choosing, I am sure you will enjoy an M monster. Note: if you are looking for a really HOT deal, do buy it at around the beginning of winter months (December to mid Januray), that being the end of the last Model Year and at the same time, the dealer wants to get rid of any high performance M car which will simply sit in the showroom not making any $ for the dealer and at the same time, the M car depreciates quickly.

To give your an example of this past year for clearing the MY2013 M5, there was factory credit allowance of $15K (cash purchase), started around Nov 2013 + whatever more $ discount you can get from the dealer side, thus the potential of total discount approached around $20K. That's about 20% off the list price.

Last edited by bobblehead; 02-28-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I am in Toronto too. I have the M5 since Sep 2012 and having now driven in 2 winters already (given this winter is way too cold & too much snow & ice), I would say the M is a capable daily drive car. The most important aspect of this being a DD is to have proper winter tires, A MUST not an option. Power delivery in snowy & icy weather is not an issue, as long as you are driving with common sense and with due care. The M can go thru any snowy weather with up to about 15cm or so and anything over 20cm will be a bit more tricky to drive.....
Thx Bobble for your info..Yes winter tires are a must..I have them on the 335 xDrive...luckily I live in the City so if it would snow really bad I wouldnt need to go out..

Thx for the purchase information..unlike you I wouldn't be able to buy the M5 for cash

thx again for your opinion (on both threads )
      03-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I'm in Toronto as well, 2014 LCI M5 delivered back in November, build order.
No issue with M5 putting down power on the road, very practical super car.

I had 5.5% off MSRP.

I would say try September or xmas time for a deal. If you don't mind the LED head lights I would say you can find great deals on pre-LCI M5.

Hope this helps.
      03-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

What do you think about the back of Macan? I saw it at autoshow and wasn't a big fan of the look... I must say the trunk button on windshield wiper was pretty neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I am in Toronto too. I have the M5 since Sep 2012 and having now driven in 2 winters already (given this winter is way too cold & too much snow & ice), I would say the M is a capable daily drive car. The most important aspect of this being a DD is to have proper winter tires, A MUST not an option. Power delivery in snowy & icy weather is not an issue, as long as you are driving with common sense and with due care. The M can go thru any snowy weather with up to about 15cm or so and anything over 20cm will be a bit more tricky to drive.

Given any big snow storms in the GTA, the roads will be cleared very quickly thus you may not have any significant issues on the road unless it's an ice storm which we had back in December 2013.

As for the X5M, I guess you would be looking at the next generation one, I have already heard that it will have more power than the current M5 and you definitely will have no issue with the GTA winter weather on this monster.

My M5 is bought outright (got about 3% discount but was given a huge favorable trade in for my 2011 550xdrive) thus giving me the flexibility to change car whenever I desire. As a matter of fact, I am already in the hunt for my next vehicle, if everything goes well, I am thinking of picking up a Porsche Macan Turbo comes this Fall.

Therefore, whatever you end up choosing, I am sure you will enjoy an M monster. Note: if you are looking for a really HOT deal, do buy it at around the beginning of winter months (December to mid Januray), that being the end of the last Model Year and at the same time, the dealer wants to get rid of any high performance M car which will simply sit in the showroom not making any $ for the dealer and at the same time, the M car depreciates quickly.

To give your an example of this past year for clearing the MY2013 M5, there was factory credit allowance of $15K (cash purchase), started around Nov 2013 + whatever more $ discount you can get from the dealer side, thus the potential of total discount approached around $20K. That's about 20% off the list price.
Attached Images

03-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

The back of Macan does look real plain (only in lighter color) but if the Macan is in a darker color, like dark blue, black ... it looks pretty elegant, esp with the Porsche & Macan letterings.

I am considering getting one for this coming winter, which will mean goodbye to my M5 and until the next G series M5 is out with AWD sometimes in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
What do you think about the back of Macan? I saw it at autoshow and wasn't a big fan of the look... I must say the trunk button on windshield wiper was pretty neat
Appreciate 0