M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #67
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
@ Coldlist.
In post 54 you say that the Manhart tune is different from the US one. Now you say they are identical? So far I have only seen Manhart step upto the plate and provide solid proof of the stage 4 package they sell. I really would like to see the same from P.I. so the US board members can compare.
No I did not. I told him not to say that their's is NOT the same. It is the IDENTICAL TUNE. Call Manhart and ask them. They will tell you. When I said "COMPONENTS" are not the same I meant that some of the stuff they do to the car as COMPONENTS for their "Stage 4" are different than what others are doing. The TUNE is IDENTICAL.

Ugh..I feel like a broken record. In case this is not abundantly clear to everyone. The EXACT SAME TUNE IS ON PP PERFORMANCE, MANHART, SCHNITZER and PERFORMING IMPORTS.-No difference whatsoever. Comes from the same place.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #68
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
To any members that are still interested in the Group Tune in Scottsdale - I just spoke to Ron and he is still able to come out and do the tune. Any of you that want to Dyno your car afterwards - you are on your own. It seems that dyno-ing the car really screws up the DME (even on a stocker) and BMW is supposed to come out with a letter and tech bulletin on it. They may even void your warranty.

By the way - any other form of performance measurement is okay, V-Box, quarter mile, etc.. I think a V-box would be the first measurement that should be taken. Also, I have noticed that the other US tuners are suspiciously quiet about this thread. HMMMMM.

Please pm me for any other details.
You notice that ALL tuners are quiet about this right? Some have had to answer for saying otherwise. Not good to discredit the hand that feeds you.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #69
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
No I did not. I told him not to say that their's is NOT the same. It is the IDENTICAL TUNE. Call Manhart and ask them. They will tell you. When I said "COMPONENTS" are not the same I meant that some of the stuff they do to the car as COMPONENTS for their "Stage 4" are different than what others are doing. The TUNE is IDENTICAL.

Ugh..I feel like a broken record. In case this is not abundantly clear to everyone. The EXACT SAME TUNE IS ON PP PERFORMANCE, MANHART, SCHNITZER and PERFORMING IMPORTS.-No difference whatsoever. Comes from the same place.
You wrote: Have someone from the US call Manhart and get their F10 M5 "tuned" and then report it to the board. Not a Euro car-a US VIN. Will not happen. If I am wrong, I will eat my words.

Perhaps I am confused, but aren't you saying here they are not identical? Or do you mean they are not selling outside their own territory?

But that is besides the point I am trying to make. I will ask you again: You are defending PI with their marvellous tune with a good butt dyno feel. I am saying that Manhart so far is the only company that gives you what you pay for. Tell me what US buyers will get when they give PI their hard earned cash?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #70
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You wrote: Have someone from the US call Manhart and get their F10 M5 "tuned" and then report it to the board. Not a Euro car-a US VIN. Will not happen. If I am wrong, I will eat my words.

Perhaps I am confused, but aren't you saying here they are not identical? Or do you mean they are not selling outside their own territory?

But that is besides the point I am trying to make. I will ask you again: You are defending PI with their marvellous tune with a good butt dyno feel. I am saying that Manhart so far is the only company that gives you what you pay for. Tell me what US buyers will get when they give PI their hard earned cash?
Exactly what I am saying. It is the SAME tune. Manhart just has none in the US. They are not selling it here. My bad on the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #71
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Ok we got that cleared up in spite of you feeling like a broken record. However, I feel like one too, because you never responded to my remark about PI not backing up their or your "claim" (yet).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #72
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok we got that cleared up in spite of you feeling like a broken record. However, I feel like one too, because you never responded to my remark about PI not backing up their or your "claim" (yet).
What exactly are you asking? Just call them if you like. I am not them. What "claim" are you talking about? If you trust all the Manhart stuff all you have to do is look at that. It is the same stuff. Just contact Manhart, contact PP Performance, contact Performing Imports.

All I have said is that I have the tune, downpipes and an exhaust on my car and it is fast. I even specifically said that I have no idea whether I got 30,40,50-100+ hp and I didn't care. I am happy with the car. It is faster than stock. Gooood enough for me.

I don't even know what their "claim" is that you re talking about. All I know is that the tunes are the same. Look on the Noelle Motors site. This is the same tune. It has specs. You can call them too. This is why I said people should do their own due diligence-here is your opportunity.

Also curious why you even care. You are not even in the US. What possible benefit does this even have to you? You can go to Manhart and get it all and rest easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #73
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Well you are so upset about people wanting to dyno an M5 that you spent many hours on explaining and repeating it can't be done. I am getting the Manhart tune stage 4 installed next week, so I am all set. Not only will I write, just like you, how wonderful it is, I am going to back it up with proof and useful information for others. Why else would I be on this board? You keep saying the tunes are identical, so it is interesting to see if they actually are in the real world. With the M5 E60 USA and Europe had different softwares.

But this board is international and if you are so enthusiastic about the PI tune, then it is interesting to me as a car lover as I am sure others are about the power it produces. It is a bit weird that you are kind of saying because I am on another continent that I should keep quiet.

ps. I am happy that you are so happy, I just wished there was more info.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #74
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Well you are so upset about people wanting to dyno an M5 that you spent many hours on explaining and repeating it can't be done. I am getting the Manhart tune stage 4 installed next week, so I am all set. Not only will I write, just like you, how wonderful it is, I am going to back it up with proof and useful information for others. Why else would I be on this board? You keep saying the tunes are identical, so it is interesting to see if they actually are in the real world. With the M5 E60 USA and Europe had different softwares.

But this board is international and if you are so enthusiastic about the PI tune, then it is interesting to me as a car lover as I am sure others are about the power it produces. It is a bit weird that you are kind of saying because I am on another continent that I should keep quiet.

I have to ask since you are about to provide a "new road" to the promised land of huge horsepower gains. Are you going to dyno your car? If so, please provide the charts, data and graphs. This should be interesting!
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #75
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Man you are listening to that little voice inside of your head and creating meanings. I didn't say you should keep quiet. You created that meaning. I was asking you a question. I have no right to tell you to keep quiet and if I thought I did I would just say "keep quiet". I wouldn't beat around the bush with a question. You are not a mind reader. You made that up. As you are visiting Manhart just ask the questions and you will get the answers. The tunes are the very same. The Euro vs. US tune has nothing to do with it because this overrides it. Again, Manhart will tell you.

I also did not say ""It can't be done at all?" I said that it cannot be done here on US cars because we cannot do the true 1:1 measure (5th gear) needed because of our speed limiter. This is factual. Ask Manhart. They will agree. They CAN and DO do it. They have Euro cars and a higher limiter-we don't. I also stated very specifically that the Dyno operators in the US are doing things not in line with the Dyno specifications BMW provides. This is also factual. This can be read in the manual.

I am not "upset". I never said that. I may have been redundant and a little firm but not upset. Silly opinions on a forum do not make me upset. I do think people are silly to think they know better than the people who build the cars. Look at this entire thread. If you read it with an open mind and no emotion or opinion it is pretty comical to watch how people hear that little voice in their head yapping a thousand miles an hour like it does all day and then they fire off comments based upon "meanings" that they completely make up. None of it is real. Kinda like if I ran up to you and pushed you tumbling backwards to the ground. You might create the meaning in your head that I was trying to assault you when in reality I may have just risked my own life to save you from being hit by an oncoming car. Meanings are just distinctions we make and we all make them differently. So don't take my comments about Manhart or anyone else as insults or as arguments. I am stating things that have been told to me by everyone I referenced above AND by Manhart as well. I am not in any competition with you or anyone else to "be right"-btw..that is usually the source of arguments like this-people get very righteous and will argue until they are blue in the face to be right (as you can see, I have done it on here too but I know to throw it right out the window and move on.)

"Manhart, as I have said repeatedly, is highly reputable and I would believe what they tell you 100%. Frankly, if I were in Europe Manhart would be the place that I would get my car tuned. They are experts and I know where they get their stuff so I know it is the best. You can verify every ounce of this with them. As far as all of this "stuff" we are talking about, when you strip away all of the emotion and bs it seems we actually are in agreement.

I hope and know your car will turn out brilliantly! Very much looking forward to hearing the results!

Incidentally, I did call and have a conversation with VBOX about 30 mins ago for kicks. It seems like an exercise in futility to buy a box and log my car because I have wheel spin and I cannot launch well. The car with MDM on spins off the line and continues to skip through 1st gear, spins hard on the shift to 2nd (sometimes kicking out the rear end), skips throughout the whole gear and then continues skip through 3rd (at times kicks as well on the shift to 3rd) even with brand new Michelin SS in 305s on the rear. Solutions might be to invest in race tires or to invest in some SERIOUS logging equip they sell and make loads of adjustments to get some sort of almost accurate figure. Honestly, it is not going to happen to prove something that I don't care about proving. After all, I have made no claims to even prove other than it is faster than stock, which logic would tell anyone that a car with performance cats alone will be faster.

Let me know the solution that you come up with to accurately measure. If it is not a pain in the butt to do and a huge expense for silliness then I just may do it. I am just not all that hung up on 10ths of a second.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #76
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

I can tell you more. We are totally in agreement. I will have the car on the dyno before and after and have v-box results as well. Of course I could keep the info to myself, but I'd rather share it on this board, so others can make proper decisions. There must be a reason why you share your experience. I was just hoping you would provide some actual data. Manhart uses a vbox and yes they also had wheel spin, so the car could be even faster than what they measure.

Oh and yes I created that meaning based on my perception of what you are saying. It is a common problem with written text, and interpretation by an individual who speaks English as a second language. I feel that you created the feelin that I am against you, which is also not true
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #77
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you more. We are totally in agreement. I will have the car on the dyno before and after and have v-box results as well. Of course I could keep the info to myself, but I'd rather share it on this board, so others can make proper decisions. There must be a reason why you share your experience. I was just hoping you would provide some actual data. Manhart uses a vbox and yes they also had wheel spin, so the car could be even faster than what they measure.

Oh and yes I created that meaning based on my perception of what you are saying. It is a common problem with written text, and interpretation by an individual who speaks English as a second language. I feel that you created the feelin that I am against you, which is also not true
lol! touche' on the meaning!

Man, I am totally clueless on the VBOX and calculating all the stuff. I truly cannot launch it. I am guessing here but I bet they do a pretty sick tire setup. My results would be all over the place. It is like a car just siting there, then throwing you back then spinning again. And that is in D3. In S3 forget it. I really need to learn to drive it.

btw..that whole "meaning" thing is an issue with EVERYONE not just English as a second language.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #78
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, I guess we now will have a base tune plus a couple of extras thrown for comparison. I am sure you will be happy with your tune and the power adder extras, M'Bitious.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #79
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Wow! I was gone all weekend, this post blew up.

I just got done reading the whole thing.

So in summation, here's what appears to be the positions taken:

1. Performing Imports Tune: Know one knows if the tune by itself actually makes the 80hp claimed.

2. ColdList is unwilling to provide dyno numbers, vbox data, YouTube video races, or 1/4 miles drag time slips due to his own personal ideological reasons (which is his right, it is his car after all, and in fact he is not a representative of the company, just a personal friend of the owner).

3. It's been alluded to but not fact that a combination of all three (downpipes, tune, exhaust from Performing Imports) is responsible for an approximate increase in horsepower of 80hp to the crank and that the tune by itself does not actually produce the claimed 80hp increase as was advertised.

4. Other people who are willing to get the Performing Imports Tune have stated that they will dyno the car before and after the tune is installed.

5. Ron and his company Performing Imports are still unwilling to provide data as to the exact performance gains of any of their products by evidence provided through dynograph charts, vbox data results, or 1/4 mile drag strip time slips.

6. The discussion between the Manhart Tune and the Performing Imports tune is interesting. There still appears to be no concrete evidence that both tunes from both companies are the exact same product.

7. Ron is still willing to come out to Arizona and provide customers with his tune.

8. Dynograph results are only good for Naturally Aspirated Engines and are completely irrelevant for turbo car engines, especially the F10 M5's.

9. The fact that I actually talked with several tuning companies last week about the BMW Development Software that they actually have in their possession seems to be an irrelevant point and merits no validity despite their long standing reputations.

10. An F10 M5 with the Performing Imports Tune, Downpipes, and Exhaust is unable to provide any vbox data due to wheelspin. This includes completely losing traction in a 60-130mph run.

New Info:

I spoke with Roman from ESS face to face this past weekend while at the Targa Trophy event in San Diego. He has stated that ESS will have a tune hopefully this summer and will definitely make gains of over 30hp to the crank. They are developing their own software in house and are not using the BMW Development Software. They will also back up their tune with dynograph charts.

Personal Opinion:

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Ron's personal M5 and ColdList's M5 are both very fast M5's, but how much faster nobody knows. I am hoping that someone from SoCal does get the Performing Imports Tune and I am able to race them without a tune on my car so as to compare the differences in power. I would hope that I get beaten very badly as an 80hp increase from a tune should have substantial results in a side by side race. I look forward to the day.

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-26-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #80
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Lol! Damn you California Girls!

see below :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Wow! I was gone all weekend, this post blew up.

I just got done reading the whole thing.

So in summation, here's what appears to be positions taken:

1. Performing Imports Tune: Know one knows if the tune by itself actually makes the 80hp claimed. ***Not sure what he "claims"

2. ColdList is unwilling to provide dyno numbers, vbox data, YouTube video races, or 1/4 miles drag time slips due to his own personal ideological reasons (which is his right, it is his car after all, and in fact he is not a representative of the company, just a personal friend of the owner).
***Corectomundo there pal. You guys obsessed with every ounce of exact HP can do this yourselves or RON the guy selling the tune can. Being TRANSPARENT again-I was told that BMW was going to send out a bulletin declaring Dyno runs as a reason to void warranty. Not taking chances (although I am not OVERLY worried-I can afford another one of these cars) but MOSTLY because I know the errors are still on the car and I would rather not raise eyebrows if unnecessary. Forgive me for my judgement man but I am more comfortable listening to people connected to BMW than "Dave" when it comes to this stuff. And of course the whole Dyno argument. I believe one thing and so I will not believe the data. Maybe I will get a VBOX. I will name it Dave and keep it in a dusty corner when not in use-lol! Seriously, you may just be convincing me to get one. I have lots of time on my hands. I can figure out how to adjust it for spin. NO WAY Manhart is putting down that much power without a slick tire setup. My car is less powerful and I can't get grip on SS but maybe I will try. YOU will be responsible for the many citations I will get. And I WILL get them playing with this!
3. It's been alluded to but not fact that a combination of all three (downpipes, tune, exhaust from Performing Imports) is responsible for an approximate increase in horsepower of 80hp to the crank and that the tune by itself does not actually produce the claimed 80hp increase as was advertised.***Partly correct. I felt a LOT more power with the whole combo. Only incorrect part was that I don't know what I got from the tune. I NEVER said 80 hp was what I got. I would not know how exactly it feels but yes, way better with DP too.

4. Other people who are willing to get the Performing Imports Tune have stated that they will dyno the car before and after the tune is installed.
***Yes, and people like YOU who are Dyno junkies will have flawed data and either cheer over bullshit numbers or you will cry in your coffee over bullshit numbers. Bro-DYNOS on the F10 M5 MUST BE DONE DIFFERENTLY-PERIOD. Call Noelle and have that discussion. That way you do not have to believe anyone like me or Ron.

5. Ron and his company Performing Imports are still unwilling to provide data as to the exact performance gains of any of their products by evidence provided through dynograph charts, vbox data results, or 1/4 mile drag strip time slips. ****Ron is not one of those "racers" with his F10. He has an insane 335i that he tracks. THIS however should be discussed with him.

6. The discussion between the Manhart Tune and the Performing Imports tune is interesting. There still appears to be no concrete evidence that both tunes from both companies are the exact same product.
***WAY WRONG bro-just call and ASK. Manhart will tell you. When I found out I asked and they told me. You can make the same call instead of belaboring a dead point here that you will never believe until you hear it from the horse's mouth which is openly available to you right now. There are people who have actually done so. Become one with them Dave.

7. Ron is still willing to come out to Arizona and provide customers with his tune. ***Got me. I know he said "F those idiots" to people who don't believe what BMW says about Dynos. Who wants to get in that sh*t storm? Again-up to him. I don't know. Again, can call him. 770-641-6202

8. Dynograph results are only good for Naturally Aspirated Engines and are completely irrelevant for turbo car engines, especially the F10 M5's.
***Nope. Dynos are good on ANY car when done properly. The turbos are all different too. It is the F10 M5 that is complex. Technology changes bro. Just look at your car next to an E60. You can throw an E60 on the Dyno no prob. Still can jack that up but not nearly as easy.

9. The fact that I actually talked with several tuning companies last week about the BMW Development Software that they actually have in their possession seems to be an irrelevant point and merits no validity despite their long standing reputations. ****Just BUY one and put it on your car. When ONE person has the software installed then we have proof. Call me man. I can tell you the same story. btw. ..there are MANY Euro shops that have this same tune. Source is the same. One place only in US. Call Noelle about this. Why will EVERYONE sit here and question everything and talk about all of these other options yet NO ONE will just go out and get one and prove it? No one could ever question it then.

10. An F10 M5 with the Performing Imports Tune, Downpipes, and Exhaust is unable to provide any vbox data due to wheelspin. This includes completely losing traction in a 60-130mph run. ****No, MY car and ME driving is the issue. Ron might be able to do this. I am not one of those fools who comes on and brags about being John Force. The freaking car spins. Maybe you driving it would get better grip.

New Info:

I spoke with Roman from ESS face to face this past weekend while at the Targa Trophy event in San Diego. He has stated that ESS will have a tune hopefully this summer and will definitely make gains of over 30hp to the crank. They are developing their own software in house and are not using the BMW Development Software. They will also back up their tune with dynograph charts. ***This will be great. I would suggest choosing this one for sure.

Personal Opinion:

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Ron's personal M5 and ColdList's M5 are both very fast M5's, but how much faster nobody knows. I am hoping that someone from SoCal does get the Performing Imports Tune and I am able to race them without a tune on my car so as to compare the differences in power. I would hope that I get beaten very badly as an 80hp increase from a tune should have substantial results in a side by side race. I look forward to the day. ***As long as you remove that 60+hp exhaust.

So in summation to your summation: I would like to thank you whole-heartedly for allowing us to revisit this whole thing-lol! You know I am just giving you sh*t with my responses. My ENTIRE point is that I just did what I think anyone else can do. I got my car improved and I told people it was pretty cool and a lot faster. I did not know I was going to be held to trial by fire or I would not have mentioned it. I LOVE my M5.

I sincerely hope that someone, anyone, will go out and get another tune on a US car and report back. This completely invalidates and validates everything and everything without question. As far as I know, nobody in the US has done another tune. These opinions on here are seriously no win arguments. They will go round and round forever. PLEASE someone go out and get a tune-lol Stop "talking" and DO SOMETHING.

Over and out fellas! going to be an observer on this one going forward!

Last edited by ColdList; 03-26-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #81
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Coldlist - I am sure am glad that you did all that work for me as there are a few things I could not answer since I don't have the tune yet. I was in the middle or responding and work (can you believe it!) got in the way and I wasn't able to finish. But, not to worry, this subject and this thread will not go away until a Group Tune happens and other M5 owners do comparo runs with guys/gals? that do have the tune.

By the way, RPIM5, please pm for any details regarding the Group Tune in Scottsdale due to the fact that I am the one arranging this with Ron. Unless you would like to take over from here? I would be just as happy being a participant; seriously. On another note, between a 30 rwhp tune versus a 68 to 100 rwhp tune there is a very large gap and the difference is going to be more than a seat-of-the-pants difference. Guess which one I will get if I have a choice?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #82
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I have to ask since you are about to provide a "new road" to the promised land of huge horsepower gains. Are you going to dyno your car? If so, please provide the charts, data and graphs. This should be interesting!
Maybe it's just me, but what "new road" are you talking about?

1) The "road" were power gains are measured, either by dyno or acceleration figures?

2) A unknown/completely new tune to the M5?

I believe that #1 is the "old road" and has been used in the industry for ages (just as old as the other "road" of crazy HP gains and NO proof of it, just advertizing big numbers)

And M'bitious is not going down a "new road" as regards the tune he is getting. Manhart has allready provided the before and after dyno runs AND Vbox data (and Manhart has some slight variations that the other tuners don't have on their M5's (at least not yet)).

It's obviously gonna be interesting to see what numbers M'bitious gets when he does the same with his car. Then the other (Euro) M5 owners will have even more data to consider before choosing their tune. Hopefully this will get available for other than Euro customers in the future as well

With all due respect, that must be so much more reassuring than just having to rely on "it feels much more powerful". And easier to come back if the car does not deliver to the claims. Manhart has really put their claims out in the open with dyno and Vbox data. That can obviously be used as a comparison, as they actually provide quantifiable data out there that can be verified on your car after the tune. That some tuners WILL NOT provide the tune to anyone wanting to get their gains verified seems strange (but understandable if dyno operators are not doing things right). Wouldn't it be a possibility to at least get some Vbox (or similar) data on a given speed delta for comparisons sake? (I get what has been said about traction, but others do Vbox runs...).

Last edited by Boss330; 03-27-2013 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #83
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Manhart uses regular tyres, no slicks. I have seen the car, been in it. The vbox run time is with regular street tyres and some wheelspin. Putting the power down is mainly an issue at lower speeds. For me that isn't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #84
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

New Road

1) The "road" were power gains are measured, either by dyno or acceleration figures?

This road will be all of those M5 owners that do not buy a "base" tune such as the one by Performing Imports. Evolve, Ess, RPI, etc. all make great products that I have used also. But, take note that none of these tuners have responded on this base tune discussion. They will come up with tunes that are of less horsepower, more than likely, and be more conservative/innovative than the base tune. Make no mistake though, performance metrics will eventually put this "base" tune against the others by means of acceleration figures and the dragstrip. No one yet has said that it can't be measured. It's just not a good idea at all to do this on a dyno due to the advanced "adaptability" of the new DME.

2) A unknown/completely new tune to the M5?

I believe that #1 is the "old road" and has been used in the industry for ages (just as old as the other "road" of crazy HP gains and NO proof of it, just advertizing big numbers)

And M'bitious is not going down a "new road" as regards the tune he is getting. Manhart has allready provided the before and after dyno runs AND Vbox data (and Manhart has some slight variations that the other tuners don't have on their M5's (at least not yet)).

It has been stated here over and over that the Manhart, PP and other tunes are using the same "base" tune. Easy to substantiate - just ask them either on the phone or on this forum. Where the other tuners are taking a "new road" is the additional power adders that are not in the base tune. I can't speak for other owners but I personally don't want to punish the factory clutch and driveline for a few more horses unless I am prepared to beef those components up at a later date.

It's obviously gonna be interesting to see what numbers M'bitious gets when he does the same with his car. Then the other (Euro) M5 owners will have even more data to consider before choosing their tune. Hopefully this will get available for other than Euro customers in the future as well

I spoke to Franz at Manhart about their tune a couple of times and my only reservation was the removal of the ECU and shipping this off to them. Anything can happen in transport. If it was done here in the US, no problem.

With all due respect, that must be so much more reassuring than just having to rely on "it feels much more powerful". And easier to come back if the car does not deliver to the claims. Manhart has really put their claims out in the open with dyno and Vbox data. That can obviously be used as a comparison, as they actually provide quantifiable data out there that can be verified on your car after the tune. That some tuners WILL NOT provide the tune to anyone wanting to get their gains verified seems strange (but understandable if dyno operators are not doing things right). Wouldn't it be a possibility to at least get some Vbox (or similar) data on a given speed delta for comparisons sake? (I get what has been said about traction, but others do Vbox runs...).

Answered in #1. I am comfortable with the PI tune and that is the only one I am comfortable with at this time. Although, again covering the performance aspect of the tune, there will be plenty of opportunities by other owners to substantiate the gains. I, for one, will do my 50 to 150 comparo runs against local "hot shots".
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #85
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since you are based in the US, I understand that you would hesitate to ship your ECU.

Look forward to see what results you achieve. Best of luck and enjoy your car (both before and after the tune)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #86
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Since you are based in the US, I understand that you would hesitate to ship your ECU.

Look forward to see what results you achieve. Best of luck and enjoy your car (both before and after the tune)
We still have to make it happen. We would like at least 5 cars to tune in Scottsdale and we still don't have enough people lined up. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Last edited by bm5bullit; 03-27-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #87
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

ECU Tune Update #2

The group tune in Scottsdale will be postponed to a date sometime in June. Stay tuned as there are other options being considered.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #88
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Vegas please. I'll be there in early and middle of June.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0