M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
BMWBuddha
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

F10 M5 Manual Transmission Oil Maintenance

Would an owner, preferably a manual owner, tell us how often the owners manual suggest that the transmission oil be serviced please. As a new member & future owner, I would like to pose a question for debate, with no intention of creating an argument...Does the manual transmission on such a vehicle encourage you to be a better driver than the DCT. Thanking you all in advance...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
dkoren
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - 6spd

I just took a look and the book doesn't give a true interval beyond "every 3rd oil change". Since the computer manages how often you change your oil, at least in theory, it'll be hard to say change it at this milage.

As for being a better driver with a DCT vs a Manual. I'd say no, someone who's going to be careless is going to be careless no matter what the transmission is. I honestly think I get to the point with a manual as a daily driver where I give it no more thought than I did with any of my SMG based cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
BMWBuddha
Rep

Thank you for your response, dkoren. I am curious is the manual for the M5 available to be viewed by anyone, has anyone posted such an owners manual...? It would be awesome if it could be read before making a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
This will be a debated topic most likely, and here is my experience with the 1M. Initially, BMW NA did not include the tranny fluid change at the 1,200 mile break-in. But BMW Canada did (as I believe the rest of the world). Then after a few months, for a very short time, BMW covered it, until the confusion among dealers led many to put in the wrong fluid. Following that, BMW NA once again reverted to not covering it under the 1,200 mile ///M service.

Myself, as the majority of other owners ended up paying out of pocket to either do it ourselves, or go to an indy shop. It is not expensive, and I would personally do it regardless what BMW says, especially if you plan on holding on to the car for a while.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
BMWBuddha
Rep

Thank you ///M1...I ask the question because no matter how well the transmission is made, or by whom, the initial break in period is simply that, breaking it in, metal on metal. The same thing was done to my Infiniti at my own expense, change the oil right away, but I never had any issue with it, or any other vehicle I bought new. If going by the book, as dkoren quoted, it needs servicing after every third oil change. Just what the hell does BMW think I'm doing to the clutch...? I find this to be overkill, no...? With respect, I ask that someone who owns the M5 to please post the Owners Manual. I realize that you have the vehicle, and are off doing all sorts of driving with very little time, but perhaps those of us who are waiting for delivery, or for that horrible bastard of a rich Uncle to kindly remember us in his will, would benefit with legitimate concerns and questions. I am sure in one form or another we would all be better for reading it cover to cover. Once again thanking you in advance, who ever you may be who posts it first.
Appreciate 0