Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Black roof on Space Gray

Just got the roof painted as others have done and I love the look. Have some pictures of the process, and then of the results. Didn't have good sunshine for the result pictures but you can get the idea. I like how the black side rails blend in with the black of the windshield, and that gives more contrast to the curve of the body color around the tinted windows. I think the darker roof takes some of the visual mass of the car away, and adds a little distinction to a regular 4 door sedan.

This shop took out the sunroof to get the paint under the rubber effectively, but didn't have to deal with the headliner since the antenna cover just pops off from the outside. Front and rear windscreens stayed in and weren't removed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
You paint the roof to create a fake glass roof effect, before you even bother to remove those hideous orange reflectors. Interesting priorities.

I hate fake effects on cars. You'd be better off buying an actual carbon fiber roof, so the difference in appearance is justified by the weight savings. Painting it black is just vain. Next thing men will be wearing make-up.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Nice effort and job well done.

I think this is personal preference and it does look nice and will make the car looks lower from different angles.
      04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You paint the roof to create a fake glass roof effect, before you even bother to remove those hideous orange reflectors. Interesting priorities.

I hate fake effects on cars. You'd be better off buying an actual carbon fiber roof, so the difference in appearance is justified by the weight savings. Painting it black is just vain. Next thing men will be wearing make-up.

You're probably the only guy in the US and northern Europe that doesn't have a contrast black roof. Lol. Its called style, some people like being in with the popular crowd... Others prefer to be plain Jane. No need for bashing. It looks really good. And why would you spend $4000 on a carbon roof, lose your sunroof and lose 50lbs only to never track your car. Not that these cars can't stand to lose a few pounds but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
You're probably the only guy in the US and northern Europe that doesn't have a contrast black roof. Lol. Its called style, some people like being in with the popular crowd... Others prefer to be plain Jane. No need for bashing. It looks really good. And why would you spend $4000 on a carbon roof, lose your sunroof and lose 50lbs only to never track your car. Not that these cars can't stand to lose a few pounds but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.
Yeah my facepalm was more because he went to paint shop and did the roof (which arguably didn't need painting), and didn't bother with the reflectors (which did).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My intentions were not to create a fake effect but to provide a visual effect that is more pleasing to my eye. Had no thought of a glass roof, or a carbon fiber roof, but if you wish to think of those when you see a car with a black roof, that is certainly your prerogative. One benefit from the black color that I hadn't foreseen was that the sunroof now blends in and almost disappears when it's closed. I'm sure many people think just buying any model of BMW is vanity, much less the M5. Oh, and oddly enough I'm kind of beginning to like the contrast of the orange reflectors in the front with the Space Gray color, but may have the rear red reflectors removed and fill in the body panel so it's flush rather than use IND's replacements.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I like the roof. Are these pictures recent? It looks like fall leaf drop in the background.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

The shop pictures are from last Thursday, and the finished pictures are from this morning, just before it starting SNOWING again! Not a usual, or pleasant Spring here in Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Love the look! I am thinking of doing the same....
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

Each to their own, if he likes it < GREAT.
      04-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Looks very good OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Looks great. Screw others opinions. If you like it, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

I must say compared to the m3 forum the bashing on here is much more civilized.... OP looks badass I'm gonna do the same but I'm going with a wrap
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:

It's his freaking car if he wanted to paint it pink why be judge and jury. Duh he likes his sun roof easy choice IMO. Don't be so rough on the guy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Why wouldn't you just wrap it than paint it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
Why wouldn't you just wrap it than paint it.
Had mine wrapped 2 times, both times came out looking like crap. With gloss black it showed every imperfection from small bumps to stretch marks. I had my roof painted gloss black (also did the mouldings) and love the contrast.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

you cant even really tell by the pics that its a different color. try to photograph it without all the reflections.

as far as the sunroof goes. id definitely have paid to NOT have it.

the most useless feature ever. especially on an ///M car!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
looks beautiful...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Arcoril
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S, AP2 S2000

Quote:

Brief summary of your post:

Keep hating, folks.

OP: I personally wouldn't get my roof painted, but I think it doesn't look bad on yours. Enjoy your car and drive it in good health.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:

His car, his style. Nothing wrong with variety. As for the reflectors being "hideous" I quite like them. Again, comes down to taste. I might as well bash someone buying painted reflectors instead of having them molded in to create the fake "clean" effect.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Thumbs up Wow, Used2Be - Looks phenomenal

@Used2be This is really a great "detail". Spacegray was my absolute favorite (wanted it with Silverstone II extended interior) but then simply wasn't patient enough to wait and went with an inventory Singapore Grey with black interior. Now seeing you car with the black grill and the black ind fender details almost makes me regret that. I think the black roof looks super sharp.
Don't mind undifferenetiated commenst about relectors and things. Nate at IND had smartly sold me the reflector replacements too and after putting them in, I actually decided to put the reflectors back in. I now think that adding some "street" detail helps bring out the mod details.
And of course I am a sucker for your 19" wheels. I really prefer them over the 20inchers. Can't help it.
So again, congrats on a great job!

(H)

Name:  M5-1s.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  245.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiracer1 View Post
I didnt go the painted look only because the dealership dinged me on a trade in for painting the roof so I went the wrapped look on all my trims and it looks good .but in all you got a car that rocks and everyone envy's. .....
Thanks for the comment. Two reasons I didn't wrap, the local shop couldn't give me assurance that the gloss black wrap would last over the years (I kept my last car 16 years!) and I think the paint gives a slightly better finish than the wrap does. If this car lasts as long as the last, the ding for the trade in shouldn't be a factor.
Appreciate 0