M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

iPod Nano problem

Anyone having problems with their iPod randomly disconnecting and then reconnecting?

I have an iPod Nano and while listening to songs, it will randomly "disconnect" and then "reconnect". I've got it connected via the USB connection in the center console using the standard white Apple connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I am having the same issue with my ipod classic.

I thought that might be because of the ipod but now i am convinced that it is not the ipod..

Thats so strange... I also use the white OEM apple connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I also am having the same problem with the constant connecting and disconnecting but I'm using my iPhone4S. I thought that it was the cable, which was an old cable that I have and is falling apart so I bought a nice new black USB cable last night and was testing it again, but it kept connecting and disconnecting.

I am thinking it might be a problem with the way that the phone is sitting in the car. I just have it sitting in my cup holder and haven't gotten a mount yet. So now I'm trying to figure out a good mount setup but am having no luck. I like the Pro-Clip mounts but I want one that goes on the lower console and goes on the drivers side of the console. I have ascertained that mounting the phone on the air vent will block my view of the Nav screen unless I put the mount on the far side of the screen (on the passengers side). So I'm still trying to figure this one out and hoping that the the disconnecting/connecting issue via the USB cable will be solved. Rich people problems I tell ya! Lol!

Also before anybody suggests. I did try to download some music via a USB stick into the M5's onboard hard drive last night also. I learned that the music that is stored on the M5's hard drive does not use any folders that you create on the USB stick. Or basically I couldn't get playlists that I created to transfer over into the M5's hard drive. Now there are only like 3 playlists that the M5's "Music Collection" will let you access. One of them is one called "Favorites" and you have to select each song individually and designate it as a "Favorite" in order for that song to be put into that playlist. My beef is that you can't create any custom playlists on the M5's hard drive. So you basically either have to scroll through your entire music collection sequentially (which is rather easy actually) or you can use that "Favorites" playlist. My thing is that I organize all of my music by playlist that way it's easier to access what I want to listen to. This is where the USB connection to the iPhone or iPod is nice, because you can use the iDrive to navigate through your playlists. I will say the search function of the "Music Collection" on the M5's hard drive looks promising but I have yet to explore is functionality more. So what I ended up doing was throwing the music that I listen to the most on to the hard drive of the M5 so that way it's not thousands of songs that I have to sift through to find what I listen to most anyways.

Also I noticed that the M5's hard drive is capable of playing Podcasts. I downloaded a Podcast on to the M5 and it didn't work. I couldn't get the iDrive to recognize the Podcoast. Lame. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

I would also like to say that last night was the first time that I really started to explore the quality of the music with the Bang and Olufsen sound system using the USB cable to my iPhone4S, regular music CD's, and music stored on the M5's hard drive. I have to say that the sound quality is more impressive via these mediums compared to Bluetooth and even XM Radio. I also tested streaming Pandora with my iPhone and through the USB cable and the sound quality was equally impressive with the B&O system. I was pleasantly surprised by this. The regular music CD's sounded the best, but that is obvious since it is the highest fidelity. All in all though, the B&O system can make any method of streaming music to it sound good, but I would have to say that in my opinion here's how I rank the quality:

Best 1. Regular Music CD's
2. iPhone/iPod through USB Cable
3. M5's hard drive, pretty much the same quality as the USB cable
4. XM Radio & Regular AM/FM Radio
Worst 5. Bluetooth (But still sounds very good with B&O system)

Well I didn't mean to make this a long winded blog or anything. Just wanted to express my thoughts.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
RPI, just buy a $10 USB stick and leave your tunes on that. iDrive will display them in whatever folder format you choose to store them in.

I only wish there were 2 USB ports in the car, so I could use both a USB stick and my iphone5 at the same time. I wonder if a USB splitter would work...will have to try that.

I've read that XM sound quality is roughly equivalent to 32kbps (1/10 the data rate of a CD)...which is crap.
      12-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Had the exact same problem on the first drive home from the dealer today! Was so disappointed. I'm going to try a lo-tech solution if a small piece of folded paper at the connected because it seemed a little loose. Maybe a little wedge will stop it disconnecting.

So so disappointed!!!

I'm going to try another iPod tomorrow.

The install seems poorly designed. Vertical insert not as good as the horizontal in the 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
Had the exact same problem on the first drive home from the dealer today! Was so disappointed. I'm going to try a lo-tech solution if a small piece of folded paper at the connected because it seemed a little loose. Maybe a little wedge will stop it disconnecting.

So so disappointed!!!

I'm going to try another iPod tomorrow.

The install seems poorly designed. Vertical insert not as good as the horizontal in the 7 series.
I am having the same problem, I thought it was my iPhone connector, even went so far as to go back to Apple and have it swapped out, same problem with brand new phone. Has anyone checked with a dealer about this?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
mgallen
United_States
Rep

I've got 5 iPod nano devices in my household. I've tried them all in my M5 and they all have the random "disconnect/connect" issue, EXCEPT for my daughter's nano. I have no idea why her nano works, and all our other nanos have the same disconnecting issue. I've checked the cable, the software version, etc. I've even restored to nanos to original factory settings.

Needless to say, I've swapped nanos with my daughter!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I take it no one has had the dealer take a look at this yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
mgallen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Blair View Post
I haven't had the dealer check on it, since my daughter's nano solved my problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen
Quote:
I haven't had the dealer check on it, since my daughter's nano solved my problem.
Its great that you've got the nano but to me it sounds more like the Nano is masking a problem- should be able to connect any iDevice (and interchange) not just a singular working one. In any event please post if anything more develops or is done. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
mgallen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its great that you've got the nano but to me it sounds more like the Nano is masking a problem- should be able to connect any iDevice (and interchange) not just a singular working one. In any event please post if anything more develops or is done. Thanks!
Will do.

And I agree with you - I didn't solve the underlying issue, just found a "Band-aid" for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep

We're you able to get any device to work? I feel your pain. Mine kept shutting off on my first drive hoe from the dealer until I found a nano that worked. Tried the other nano agin and it kept shutting down. The disconnect was so severe the powered center speaker went down and up again. Is that also happening to you?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
mgallen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
We're you able to get any device to work? I feel your pain. Mine kept shutting off on my first drive hoe from the dealer until I found a nano that worked. Tried the other nano agin and it kept shutting down. The disconnect was so severe the powered center speaker went down and up again. Is that also happening to you?
I didn't have the center speaker issue, but I have 5 nanos in the house. Only one of them works with no disconnecting issues. The other 4 randomly disconnect/connect. Since I found one nano that works, I haven't bothered to bring the car in for service at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Interesting, I have two of these cars: F10 and F12 and I have zero issues with either and both run Nanos.... I guess Im very lucky.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen View Post
Will do.

And I agree with you - I didn't solve the underlying issue, just found a "Band-aid" for the problem.
Just wanted to update the board - My INCREDIBLY Awesome SA and tech sat with me while I showed them what was going on. In addition to this problem I was also unable to update the car via the USB stick with the newer software that BMW has on the website. They ended up performing complete vehicle software update and that fixed the issue and allowed the new USB update. It did cause me to loose my coding but have since put that back and now all is great. In fact some of the coding that I was unable to change I was able to do this time and all is working perfectly. Glad to know this isn't something that I have to "live with".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the update. My car is going in on the 11th for first service. My NAV is possessed so I think a recoding is going to be in order. Hopefully that fixes the iPod problem also.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
BigK
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2013 528xi; 2012 VW Phaeton

Does anyone have a solution for this? I just received my 2013 f10 and my iPod nano keeps disconnecting. It happens randomly when playing music and all of sudden I will see the device disappear in iDrive and reconnects moments later.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I have two iPod Classics that I switch out, and they from time to time seem to "freeze" and then I have to reboot the iPod to get connectivity again. Sometimes after a restart of the car it comes back. Not sure why it happens, but I got the same on my E60 M5 too.
      06-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
I had the same problem with my ipod nano 1st day I picked up my car. When I got home I changed the cable out and haven't had an issue since.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0