M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

PSA: want to hear your exhaust more? do this.

Not sure if anyone else has brought this up before. It won't work well for daily driving (assuming you ever use your trunk for bigger stuff), but if you're like me and do dedicated drives, it makes a big different in aural pleasure.

Put the rear seats down and remove the (thick) trunk floor liner*. Just putting the rear seats down does increase sound, but not a ton and it's still pretty muffled. Remove just the liner and it's not particularly noticeable. Do both and enjoy a much louder and more "raw" exhaust note in the cabin.

The liner involves two plastic nuts, but an electric ratchet (or electric screwdriver w/bit attachment) makes quick work of those. The ~2 minutes it takes to do both is well worth it.

*I originally took it out expecting (hoping?) to find sound insulation on the metal for the trunk which I could remove. Instead I found bare metal with the ground directly on the other side and that the floor liner was quite thick.
      11-03-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Pics please?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Pics please?
Picture of what, how to remove the trunk floor liner? At the very front of the liner you can lift it up to access the small well that holds the tire inflation device. If you look at each end of where the liner folds you'll see a bracket with a plastic nut securing the liner down. Remove both of those and it just slides out. ezpz