M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
RT SYD UP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I have spent some time on these forums trying to understand the mysterious squeaks, rattles, clangs, and clinks of the F10 M5. I was the victim of the 2013 strut/spring issue which started my interest. I learned a lot and I am now on my second F10, a Singapore grey 2014 CP. Took delivery in February and have about 1700 miles on it.

This came in after 10,000 was put on my 2013 F10. I had a number of issues with the rear suspension and finally my dealer, a genuinely great guy sensing my frustration, took it back for a fair trade and ordered my 2014.

Nevertheless, because of the vicious Chicago winter, the first time I drove the 2014 with my windows down was last weekend. Much to my disappointment, as I drove over the bumps inherent in Chicago streets, a rattle similar to that of a baby's rattle or a can full of beans could be heard outside the car from the rear end on both sides.

Dammit! I said. Haven't I just spent months of frustration dealing with my 2013 rear suspension? I thought they fixed this. Well they did, but now I've found another issue and I'm interested if any of you have found the same and perhaps have a solution.

See the image attached. Tough perspective but let me explain. This is shooting straight up from the ground. The tire is to the front, the silver is the exhaust heat shield, and the plastic is the wheel well liner. Between the liner and the heat shield is a triangular space that leads up to an open space. Rocks, road debris, and who knows what extent of junk has been launched up there. A light rap on the quarter panel behind the wheel rattles this junk around. A slightly more firm rap will cause some of it to pour out of the joints.

This is tough for me to stomach. I'm somewhere between the "nothing's perfect" and a "100k car shouldn't be like this". Probably closer to the latter. It also appears that this is not specific to the M5 in that it is present in all the 5 series cars I inspected during my late night covert operations in my local dealers outside lot.

Anyone out there share my concerns? Solutions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Awww... come on BMW!!!

How can this be acceptable? I wonder if you fill it with spray foam insulation if it will cause any issues...?

I am doing ED...I surely hope I don't get a bunch of shit up in there before I can get it back to the states and figure out how to block it off.

The rattling of road debris will certainly drive me batty! And you're right... a $100k car shouldn't be 'finished' in this way.

I hope others chime in to see what's been done... if anything at all.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0