M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #67
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Excellent post. Very similar of how I feel. BMW use to have a uniqueness to them, almost hard to put into words. They were just different. They have become just another German automaker.
I agree in with in most respects- BMW has recently become so common in so many areas that it will inevietably lose some "uniqueness."

Which is why they must continue to make cars that are better in terms of quality and design.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #68
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

When I first started driving BMWs back in 19?? it was so rare to see another BMW that when you did it was customary to flash your passing lights at the on coming BMW. Does anyone else remember that or am I just dating myself ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #69
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
When I first started driving BMWs back in 19?? it was so rare to see another BMW that when you did it was customary to flash your passing lights at the on coming BMW. Does anyone else remember that or am I just dating myself ?
Certainly you are not alone, but its a very different world and different company, I gasp to say they look like GM nowadays with their lineup, I've lost count on all the variations offered ...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #70
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
I agree in with in most respects- BMW has recently become so common in so many areas that it will inevietably lose some "uniqueness."

Which is why they must continue to make cars that are better in terms of quality and design.
They also have many more customization options now...presumably to address this precise issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #71
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
+1. Such speculation is as informative as reading the Enquirer. I know they say scott is a so-called "insider" but he was the one saying that the new 3 series touring would not be coming to the US. Low and behold, the F31 is coming!
Yes I did say that because in the original strategy that was the decision.
Things change , especially in the auto industry. The F31 is coming to the US but if it underperforms it will be pulled quickly , especially in regards to the US Euro Premium wagon market now DOA and the long awaited arrival of the BMW X1.
The BMW 5er Touring F11 is not being federalized for the US because BMW do not justify the costs for a handful of sales.

Quote:
But is this the end? Scott26 has no comments to make on the 5GT, 3GT, and in particular how this platform will evolve.
The issue with the 5er GT is that because it is not accepted in the US , that it is thought the same applies all over. People forget BMW are in other markets and in Europe and Asia and key important BRIC markets the car has done well and has achieved its original goal of 10% share of overall 5er sales.
A facelift is due for the car which will see the 5er GT inherit a four cylinder diesel for further european appeal. BMW expect great things from the 3er GT as it will be available in europe with both four cylinder diesel and petrol and entry specification.

To understand the appeal of the GT have a look at Bimmerposts GT section in the 5er section, and you can see how customers use and enjoy the flexibility it offers. Stating that everyone hates the car is a bit selfish when there are customers who see the appeal of the car.
Which for me is how no other car in that segment offers that level of interior comfort for passengers at that price. It is too early to discuss how BMW will think of a successor? But do not be surprised if it lives on , maybe becoming a lot sleeker. Both the 5er GT and forthcoming 3er GT generate significant profits above the equivalent 3er and 5er.

In the original text I put probability because although decisions are not final they are being discussed in relation to additional support in the high end luxury market , Mercedes-Benz have stated that the S-Klasse will be offered in six variants again because of the projected growth in the Premium luxury segment.
In relation to BMW's priorities regarding EfficientDynamics? What is EfficientDynamics? apart from the usual fuel saving features , lightweight technology is very much a key element of ED, and with the next 7er using that transition of material technology from BMWi with key panels being replicated from CFRP , X7 and CS II will also benefit allowing a significant weight advantage. Sharing of technology powertrains and componentry from the next generation 7er will also be advantageous and profitable.
      05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #72
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335pilot View Post
I recently had to swap my 3 year old X5, which we really liked and enjoyed, for a qx56 when my family of three became a family of five. I would have traded for an X7 for sure. X7d would be fantastic.
Agreed. The X7d would be a definite consideration for our household, especially considering we had originally intended on picking up a GL diesel over the X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
X8?! Wow! Never thought I'd see the day when bmw would make an suv/ sav the size of the largest or longest Esclade! I thought the X5 is already huge, but I guess not. I understand bmw needs to compete with other manufacturers, I just hope spending on r&d for the M cars is not reduced. Two thumbs up for the CS II concept.
The X5 is nowhere near close to huge. Our neighbours have an F150, F350 and Expedition respectively and the X5 looks downright small compared to them.

It is at best a mid-size SUV, even smaller with the useless third row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
They sure as hell did blow that!

I don't know I agree with your second point though; I don't see my local dealer discounting Cayennes heavily for the sake of competition. On the other hand, that is what ruled it out in my consideration before getting the X5. When I looked at what I got in the X5 for the same money vs. the Porsche, there really was no comparison. So they could have an issue there...not sure. Certainly the Porsche name is still a higher status symbol than BMW - at least in the US.
I'd agree that there is no comparison. The new Cayenne is better in pretty much every respect. Deciding whether the additional $15Kish is worth it is a matter of opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #73
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

Yes, I love BMW-s, but it is difficult to buy one, because the same money as X5 you can get Range Rover or Cayenne and these two are best looking SUV in the world! Also, well-equipped 530 Xd is in Europe 85 k euros. With that money you can get jaguar XJ diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #74
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

BMW X7 is now coming to the fore.
Attached Images

07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #75
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
While there are differences between the models, I don't think there are enough differences between all the X models to justify having all of them. Surely, BMW will be competing with itself for many of them.

And at the same time, there's too much difference between versions of the same model - an X1 sDrive 16d isn't the same animal as an X1 xDrive 35i, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #76
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

BMW X7 will be the first BMW SAV with a production V12 engine.
      07-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #77
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Scott, a while back you said that the X7 would have black A pillars blended into the glasshouse in a kind of Mini way, is this design feature still planned?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Scott, a while back you said that the X7 would have black A pillars blended into the glasshouse in a kind of Mini way, is this design feature still planned?
I have seen design proposals and sketches that feature the kind of Range Rover and MINI-esque floating roof. X7 will be as big as 7er and as luxurious it also feature more practical seven seats because of its length.

The render is just to illustrate that such a car is coming.
It is looking likely the car could join its family members and be manufactured in the Spartanburg plant in South Carolina another boost for the USA again demand for the car will also mean significant imports for Spartanburg.
      07-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #79
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I understand the extreme growth in China with all car brands, not just BMW.

But to let it shape or dictate what models are being built is difficult to take in.
This.

I've got no problem with BMW or any other brand building what it needs to to sell in certain dominent markets....i.e China, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the World has to put up with the shite vehicles that China wants...

Now, if BMW were to build a smaller performance SUV type vehicle, with half decent off-road capability - and less reliant on electronics, I'll put my name down for one
I'm thinking shorter wheelbase two-door X3 with mechanical diffs and N55
      07-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #80
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Seems small. Why not big like a Mercedes GL or Audi Q7?
X5 is mid-size, why not a full size SUV?
Then a luxury X8 version or something if that's needed as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #81
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
BMW X7 will be the first BMW SAV with a production V12 engine.
Yes, so time to drop some of the many X models between the top and the bottom.

Not the 50 or so different X varieties we have today, where the top models of a lower series are seriously more powerful than the lower models of a higher series. (And that's before even considering all the "lines" varieties)
With X2, X4 and X7 added to the mix, and probably 10 varieties of each, I fear BMW will mainly be stealing sales from themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #82
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
This I like, a real seven seater BMW X. When is the proposed or approximate production date ?
Appreciate 0