M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #23
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Guys - at idle, the wastegate is 'open' meaning exhaust is bypassed from the turbine into the exhaust housing and downpipe. The s63tu does something interesting in the Sport Plus mode where it keeps the wastage semi-closed to help build boost quicker. If that's what the software is doing, then you can just do that by keeping the car in Sport Plus mode.
This makes perfect sense and I don't know why the various commercial tuners on here don't explain how software accomplishes a mechanical fix to the rattle? I have no expertise on turbos, so my questions come from ignorance, but if the rattle is somehow exacerbated when the catalysts are removed from the DPs, is there some inherent sloppiness in the linkage used to open and close the waste gate? Is there back pressure from the restriction of the catalysts which eliminates the rattle on an unmodified engine? That must be a very hot location, so perhaps sloppiness is required to avoid any linkage malfunction? Could the turbos themselves be designed to eliminate the rattle? Does anyone have a connection at Garrett?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #24
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

The factory DP's are dual-walled and just muffle the rattle. There is no magic here
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #25
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Stock downpipes have about 4" of wafer, 1/2" gap and then another layer of wafer. I'm not sure if that big open chamber is good or bad for airflow, but I'll replace them with full 3" once prices become reasonable.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 06-07-2016 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #26
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
Stock downpipes have about 4" of wafer, 1/2" gap and then another layer of wafer. I'm not sure if that big open chamber is good or bad for airflow, but I'll replace them with full 3" once prices become reasonable.
$1300 for standard dp is pretty reasonable roght.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #27
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #28
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
This makes perfect sense and I don't know why the various commercial tuners on here don't explain how software accomplishes a mechanical fix to the rattle? I have no expertise on turbos, so my questions come from ignorance, but if the rattle is somehow exacerbated when the catalysts are removed from the DPs, is there some inherent sloppiness in the linkage used to open and close the waste gate? Is there back pressure from the restriction of the catalysts which eliminates the rattle on an unmodified engine? That must be a very hot location, so perhaps sloppiness is required to avoid any linkage malfunction? Could the turbos themselves be designed to eliminate the rattle? Does anyone have a connection at Garrett?
BMW uses catalytic converts that act as silencers for the rattle. Once removed, the noise gets amplified through the catless downpipes and that is a reason why so many people complain. We redesigned the operating principles behind the wastegate control to prevent the excessive slack in the system, and thus in most cases eliminating, and in rare cases reducing, the rattle noise.
Yes, it is "easy" to redesign the turbos in order to get rid of the noise, though not really cost efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #29
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Having had these out and gutting them myself after reading this - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gutted, half that price is reasonable considering their HP per $ gains are negligible. The only time I'll be having them out next is for a set of 3" to match the rest of exhaust or maybe even 3.5" since that's the next size up I've read about here.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #30
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I'm not sure if that big open chamber is good or bad for airflow, but I'll replace them with full 3" once prices become reasonable.
From what little I've read about turbo motors, it seems the turbos prefer as little restriction as possible in the exhaust system. I'd bet your gutted stock DPs are just as HP producing as the aftermarket catless DPs. Do you have the rattle problem or is the noise better muffled with the dual wall DPs? Since I live in a state which doesn't check emissions and won't need the catalysts for that, I might just gut mine also when I do the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #31
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No rattle before or after. Removal and gutting was the easy part, it was the realignment for the clamps at the back of the turbos, bolts into the exhaust piping and not crushing/breaking the buttermilk flaky exhaust gaskets while trying to reinstall with two people.

Last edited by m5james; 06-08-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #32
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightM View Post
Pics vids or never happen

Sorry but its better to show before and after if you can. Otherwise i have a better chance of seeing a pig fly.
100% FACTS....
Wastegate rattle can be resolved by the tuner with an ECU remap. I dont know why it was so hard for some to believe.....lol
Wastegate rattle is sometimes always there but with the stock downpipe u may not hear or notice it at all. Wastegate rattle can become more noticable with a Catless Downpipe....and can be resolved sometimes with an ECU Remap by the tuner...

Last edited by ssgm1x; 08-21-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
100% FACTS....
Wastegate rattle can be resolved by the tuner with an ECU remap. I dont know why it was so hard for some to believe.....lol
Wastegate rattle is sometimes always there but with the stock downpipe u may not hear or notice it at all. Wastegate rattle can become more noticable with a Catless Downpipe....and can be resolved sometimes with an ECU Remap by the tuner...
I could possibly see the rattle being adjusted by the tuner for electronic wastegate's but for mechanical wastegates the tuner can not manipulate it.
Also, adjusting the wastegate will change the operation of the turbo.. so there is still the possibility of noise being present in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #34
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Quote:
100% FACTS....
I could possibly see the rattle being adjusted by the tuner for electronic wastegate's but for mechanical wastegates the tuner can not manipulate it.
Also, adjusting the wastegate will change the operation of the turbo.. so there is still the possibility of noise being present in my opinion
Mechanical and Electronic wastegate can be adjusted to fix wastegate rattle. Performance may be affected depending on how bad the rattle is. But all tuners and all BMW dealers can make adjustments to resolve this on any type of wastegate. They've been doing it for the last few years for those with wastegate rattle. It may cause some turbo lag but this depends on how bad the initial Rattle is.
      08-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mechanical and Electronic wastegate can be adjusted to fix wastegate rattle. Performance may be affected depending on how bad the rattle is. But all tuners and all BMW dealers can make adjustments to resolve this on any type of wastegate. They've been doing it for the last few years for those with wastegate rattle. It may cause some turbo lag but this depends on how bad the initial Rattle is.
Doesn't that seem to not be a correct fix ?
Minimize the noise to loose operation of the turbo does not sound right.
You can only adjust the electronic wastegate based off the preset specifications from BMW. There is a service function in the ISTA diagnostic.
It is set in millimeters. Too much adjustment in either direction will set a CEL and the turbo wont function as needed.
Sorry but I disagree that this is a correct fix.
The "fix" on the N54 platform was horrible, the correct fix was improved wastegate parts which came out later after the "adjustment" was only a temporary patch and the noise came right back.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #36
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can only adjust the electronic wastegate based off the preset specifications from BMW. There is a service function in the ISTA diagnostic.
It is set in millimeters. Too much adjustment in either direction will set a CEL and the turbo wont function as needed.
The "fix" on the N54 platform was horrible, the correct fix was improved wastegate parts which came out later after the "adjustment" was only a temporary patch and the noise came right back.
Correct fix ? That is debatable in my opinion. Would u rather spend a couple thousand dollars to fix a rattle noise. Or would u rather spend a couple hundred dollars.
      08-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #37
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It all depends on how bad rattle is as to whether or not it will effect performance. Average daily driver will not notice anything.
      08-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #38
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Correct fix ? That is debatable in my opinion. Would u rather spend a couple thousand dollars to fix a rattle noise. Or would u rather spend a couple hundred dollars.
100% debatable
In my opinion there is minimal adjustment range allowed via the programed range set by BMW and for a purpose.
Yes, a tuner can change those parameters but at what cost ? Loss of turbo operation ? For myself that does not seem correct
Appreciate 0