M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Porsche Panamera Turbo (Not S) 2011 with 16k miles on it

Now I always wanted to test drive this car but didn't have time and when I did car wasn't always available and since I have been shopping for a car since I had that dreaded itch again - This one came on my radar and I was supposed to test drive the better one that I thought will blow my M5 out the water which is the 2013 Turbo S but still in their shop being prepared for showing ! So I test drove this Turbo 2011 knowing that it won't be fair to compare to 2014 M5 but boy I was wrong it was not fair for the M5 it seems LOL!!

One thing comes to mind!!
Porsche knows how make cars that can get a big smile of due confidence on your face something similar but augmented feeling we've gotten used to from M division !! With a more touch of class and sheer confidence !! But having said that the only catch is doesn't seem to be the whole package as the M5 is but besides that it is more of a driver's car and more sporty no doubt! But are you gonna be a happier camper in this car than M5? That's why I am writing this review!

Who said you can't have fun in AWD!! This car did spin all wheels for me after I floored it driving at 30-40 mph!! Yes asphalt was wet just after heavy rain but still was impressed as I didn't expect that!!

1. Handling:
For the first time I am gonna have to give that to the Panamera Turbo as the whole car setup is tuned to perform !! and to actually outperform with confidence which is something I miss in my M5 - - Can you have both?- it is a very harsh ride no doubt with the softest most comfy mode the car was a lot firmer than sports plus in M5 Non CP!! (Jarring ride comes to mind but I never knew that I may like jarring !! ) as I did like it no doubt yet between this and the M5; the M5 is the better DD and this Turob is the better performer but I am talking city limited performance needs as I expect M5 to be a better track car overall due to RWD (Drifting skills) and my butt did indeed appreciate the plushness and the comfort of the M5 when I went back to my car but the "Dark side" in me was missing the plantedness and the firmness of the Panamera and the sheer confidence you feel in that Turbo!! and I immediately remembered Chris De Burgh "The classical dilemma between the Butt and the Heart" LOL

2. Power:
Ample and more than enough and I can only imagine how the S will be like as I was supposed to test 2013 S but wasn't ready for testing yet! (What does that mean? was it totaled or what? LOL) any way the SA as old as he is but was very knowledgeable and super nice and wasn't bothered a bit by me pushing the car to it "city limits!" And I did with sharp turns and all
Well Power isn't the problem the problem -if that was a problem!- is Power Delivery in that shape and form AWD can have a different feel and now I believe there is a hefty price tag for AWD and that is Controlled Environment and less control despite more control! Did I just say that! Yes that's how I felt! the car is doing a lot more for me than it's supposed to! I was more of a spectator than "the real driver" as the car is too smart to be enjoyed to the max and sometimes I was thinking "Don't do this for me I can do it!!!" I said it and I am not sure I was able to express my mixed feelings! Don't get me wrong I loved and enjoyed every minute of the 20 minutes or so driving this non M but P beast but there was something missing and guess what that was?! Lack of control and fear of death and loss of control which is the way I feel every time I push my M5 to its limits not knowing whether I will really make it after that STAB of the gas leda or after that sharp turnl!! Seriously I missed the very thing that caused me to be shopping for another car in the first place!! So guys who are out there trying to rid of their M5 because of being RWD be careful what you wish for and make sure you test drive an AWD comparable powerful car as you may be in for a weird surprise that you actually like that very same feeling about the M5 that you thought you hate most!! M division sure know that too as they know they are dealing with enthusiasts and M addicts which sure has a lot to do with adrenaline!! (Would be a nice study to check adrenaline level after a test drive of both cars, hahhaah)
A tie but in different flavors
Turbo 8/10 more plantedness and admirable confidence and like a sharp knife cutting curves and turns and anything you throw at it ! She will devour it and ask for more!! and you are just watching!!
M5 8/10 more adrenaline rush and probably more fun if you know how to drive and have no kids and suicidal :-)
You get to choose

3. Steering:
Well I always appreciate beefy steering wheels which wasn't there in the Turbo as it was i believe black wood with very nicely appointed buttons and super nice front facing paddle shifters!! Sweet and yeah probably more ergonomic than M5 but not more sporty overall.
NOW the steering itself is probably on par if not better than M5 as I think more connected and more road feel but I was really annoyed by how thin this thing was!! Even Acura TL SHAWD had a much beefier steering wheel!
Turbo 9/10 because it might be the better steering overall
M5 9/10 Just because of how nice the LCI wheel itself
But honestly I believe if the wheel was chunkier I may have given it 10/10!

4. Interiors:
Now it is not my cup of tea as I don't like tall knobs and not very driver oriented dash and people who know me here know by now that I have something for short small shift knobs ,
on a more serious note this car is a lot more luxurious inside than M5 (Not sure if full leather and M6 that might be a tie) and I have to say I got very confused by the so many buttons! So many but it seems that it takes getting used to and it shouldn't be an issue but I believe this car had a more special interior and better materials overall and the dash itself is more exotic than the usual and expected classic BMW dash,,,,, BUT the gauge cluster had a very low resolution LCD screen yet the VERY SMALL ? 7-8 inches navigation touch screen was higher resolution but the one in the gauge cluster was really bad that I could count pixels on the one hand!! :-) LOL

5. Transmission:
I don't believe it is better than DCT but noticed it is smoother however probably as fast if not faster or let me say less snappy and I didn't get the kick in my back when car shifted though felt as quickly done and I am not sure what that is!! As fast yet smoother ! I personally like the M5 snappy DCT feeling! but a tie!
Like some one said it before? Was it Chris Harris "BMW DCT is the best PDK out there that Porsche never made" I kinda agree with this statement as I expected to like PDK more but I bluntly didn't and I was happy to go back to my M5 again

6. Exterior:
No comparison and hands down it looks a lot nicer and classier than M5 PERIOD and not subjective and come on the rear is the best part of this car!! (Ok rear can be subjective) It isn't ugly like the RS7 (forgive me Vicc55, I really hate that butt) but I have to be honest I used to not like it (Talking panamera now) but grew on me over the years; so not sure that one day that RS7 ugly rear end may grow on me! Geeez hope not, I won't forgive myself ( I will be a mutant then) !! I really hate that rear though I noticed that I always love to see it 200 yards or more away because of the LED looking very stylish that afar (Talking RS7 now)!!
Watching that spoiler go out and back down was fun indeed LOVED IT!! I think around 40-50 mph it goes up and down or if you do sport plus!!
Turbo 9.5/10
M5 8/10 because I really like it too but that Panamera oozes style !!

7. Stereo:
Sounded great and the SA said better than B&O but I didn't think so but I don't think we got enough time to tweak it and play with it but sounded up there as one of the best I and it was "Burmester" but not as cool looking or popping up like B&O.

8. Exhauste:
I test drove this car to hear its exhaust and I am more than glad to report to our M community PLEASE DON'T BASH M DIVISION FOR NOT GIVING US A GOOD EXAUASTE OR ENGINE NOISE BECAUSE IT SEEMS WE HAVE A GOOD EXHAUSTE AND ENGINE SOUND (may be fake, ok I know that, and I don't care i still hear it and love it and yelled at V12 when he mentioned switching it off... LOL),
Yes I was very underwhelmed by the note!! Boy not even 1/2 loud as my M5 Non CP - is it just me?- but no crackles and no burbles anywhere across the power band and shifting, may be once or twice and nothing special and it was embarrassing for the SA because he noticed that it was raining a little and I had asked him to pull down the windows and turn the "Burmester" off :-) to listen to * ??! Nothing.... ok almost nothing because I could hear some V8 humming sound but that's it and SA said "You are gonna have to install an aftermarket exhauste" and it was very clear that I looked very disappointed and sticking my head outside the window trying to hear something :-) and he had to intervene !! and when we went back to the dealership I turned my engine on and my EMeister on and he liked that (I have it programmed to my home link) and once he heard the Quasi Cold start because it hadn't been 30 minutes yet! he said "Now that sounds like a 911" and I took it as a complement though I have my friend at work with 911 Turbo 2009 and my car sounds a ton better!

9. Seats:
Look a lot better than M5 especially the rear seats! Wow ! I enjoyed the interior of this car and I didn't wanna get out but once did I liked its exterior even more!! I think I have a crush guys on the Panamera! hahahahaah

I just wanted to share my humble thoughts about this great beast of a car with you guys (I learn from your feedback too) because as much as I loved the panamera Turbo and it is a better car in some important aspects but overall didn't feel it to be the whole package for me with the rear 2 seater! having said that, it is definitely a car I may consider in the future to replace my M5 not because it is better than M5 but because it is a different flavor of fun driving that I didn't know was there (Am I being sucked in to the dark side? and don't know it? LOL) and yes better in some aspects but not not overall which makes me wonder why I need to do it now!!
I may get to test drive the Panemera Turbo S 2013 with 15K miles on it as he said he will let me know once ready for showing and that one with updated tech and refreshed overall and more power I believe my M5 should be afraid of ;-) because I am already very impressed and yes Porsche knows to make driver's car as good as M division if not better but don't forget for a lot more!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by soooma; 07-10-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Soooma, I like the way you enjoy driving cars and your mentality to "always see the glass half full " ... you are really a car enthusiastic guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
5. Transmission:
I don't believe it is better than DCT but noticed it is smoother however probably as fast if not faster or let me say less snappy and I didn't get the kick in my back when car shifted though felt as quickly done and I am not sure what that is!! As fast yet smoother
I love that feeling LOL... I mean that kicking and every single time I change the gear it puts smile on my face. M-DCT is awesome
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Yeah, I'm sure it's a good car, but with looks that even a mother would have problem loving...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

I know a friend that went from M5 to one of these..... he says he likes it but not as much as the M5... he is now thing of coming back to the M............
      07-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelf View Post
I know a friend that went from M5 to one of these..... he says he likes it but not as much as the M5... he is now thing of coming back to the M............
I know it can be boring because of being a smarter car -
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it's a good car, but with looks that even a mother would have problem loving...
Trust me I used to think that once too but grew on me and you have to see it in person and unlike the RS7 that even after seeing the A7 and S7 in person all the time and a friend of mine actually has a white A7 still and I'm still not liking it and actually everyday that passes by my distaste to it increases ! The rear end and the side view but the car is very classy...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Test drove the Panamera Turbo last year. Interior was great but I just never liked the exterior. I also felt like it was much larger than the M5, something I can't deal with living in SF.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

There's a lot I like about the Panamera Turbo but overall it's just not an emotional car. My biggest problem is that I'll never be able to get over that humpback. Sure the M5 has it's flaws and the Panny may be a superior drivers car in some aspects, but the M5's flaws don't bother me that much, where as the flaws of the Panny make me never want to own one.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
There's a lot I like about the Panamera Turbo but overall it's just not an emotional car. My biggest problem is that I'll never be able to get over that humpback. Sure the M5 has it's flaws and the Panny may be a superior drivers car in some aspects, but the M5's flaws don't bother me that much, where as the flaws of the Panny make me never want to own one.

Cheers!
Probably same feeling but not to the point of never wanting to own one because I feel I do want a Turbo S but is it worth its money? with quarter mile less than 120 mph!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Great review again!

Have you reviewed the Jaguar F Type R yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
IMO

Soooma; it is good to see that nowadays you are plenty of time. Your review about PP is good. The Panamera ambulance looks is something I can't handle. Regards.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Well done Soooma---- the Panamera has Kobe Bryant style looks IMHO, love it (him) or hate it (him). I never have like the Panny in print or on the web as much as in person much like the RS7 (an no offense to your dislike of the RS7 rear, I get it).

I too have driven this car albeit a 2012 and non S too and rather enjoyed it for what I like to call sweet spot driving in Cali; runs from digs to 100 and rollers from 35 to 110. It has a very usable powerband and drives very Porsche like as well.

If anyone has researched, the Panny Turbo is the softest car on the planet or very close with crashing values, factory gobs of trunk money, dealer specials, and many dealers still hold some 2013's and even a few have 2012's. So the car can be stolen--- no doubt but can you live with the looks? A rear lip spoiler is probably something to could be added to help with the rear but what else?

Thanks again Soooma. Id really like to hear your "full bore" test drive of the F Type R Coupe as Stealth mentioned too.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Great review again!

Have you reviewed the Jaguar F Type R yet?
That and 2dr Porsche review would be good. Soooma, you already looked at M4, so 991/981 would be a good comparison IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
That and 2dr Porsche review would be good. Soooma, you already looked at M4, so 991/981 would be a good comparison IMO.
@soooma

Just drive the fawk out of them LOL--- no fancy pants driving
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
@soooma

Just drive the fawk out of them LOL--- no fancy pants driving
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #16
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

soooma love the barrage of recent reviews. keep them coming!
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0