M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Bimmercrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, SG/Black

M5 Exclusive Colours - which to choose from?? HELP...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey, this is my first post...been reading almost all of this forum on the new F10 M5, basically ever since I starting thinking about replacing my E60 M5 with the F10 M5.

99.9% of this forum is awesome so take a big bow...couple of observations....if I was looking for a 2nd hand F10 M5 definitely one member I wouldn't buy from (no running in period but he thinks this is trailblazing and clever, complete moron, LOL!!) and a couple of others who have nothing better to do but be unceremoniously negative (first sign of inferiority complex so just remember how pathetic they actually feel about their own lives, don't take their spitefulness to heart.)

Anyway I digress

My biggest problem is which colour to go for. Unless I'm mistaken there are only 2 exclusive standard colours for the F10 M5 (excl. Individual colours granted) - Monte Carlo Blue and Singapore Grey - all the other colours are available on a variety of Bimmers models.

So my way of thinking is if you're going to get the new M5 get a colour that is a bit different from all other Bimmers.

MCB does look good but I have a few concerns about it -

1. As it is the promotional colour I'm getting a bit bored with it and from the 10+ dealerships I have spoken to sooooooo many people have gone with this colour.

2. It never looks like it does (as good as it does!) in the photos , it pops out in most photos and looks alot more WOW! In reality it is actually alot flatter, not as wow, and more ordinary.

3. Not only is it similar (not the same but close) to Estoril Blue but it is also very close to the blue available for the new F30 3 series. This hardly makes it an exclusive colour for the new M5. Cheapens it I think....

So this leaves SG. Having been round all those dealers I am satisfied that it is significantly different to sophist grey, but is it also a bit boring?

SG has more depth to it as well depending in the angle and light...it is more understated and stealthy than MCB but again it can look different in photos to real life. Actually real life photos outdoors don't do it justice...

To help give me an opinion here are some photos I took (on iPhone 4s so apologies for the not great quality ) today at a dealer who had a SG demo. Having seen this under the lights and outside I'm swaying towards SG/Black. It did look super cool. Alot better than the more commonplace black, Silverstone II, white etc....or have I got this wrong?

Anyway enjoy the photos...

Name:  singaporegraym5-1.jpg
Views: 38248
Size:  298.9 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-3.jpg
Views: 38062
Size:  256.6 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-6.jpg
Views: 37818
Size:  276.8 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-7.jpg
Views: 37541
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-8.jpg
Views: 37466
Size:  250.6 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-9.jpg
Views: 37344
Size:  212.6 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-11.jpg
Views: 37189
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-12.jpg
Views: 37270
Size:  248.1 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-13.jpg
Views: 37060
Size:  231.2 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-14.jpg
Views: 36962
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-15.jpg
Views: 37017
Size:  318.4 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-17.jpg
Views: 37215
Size:  229.2 KB

Name:  singaporegraym5-2.jpg
Views: 37824
Size:  273.5 KB

Last edited by Bimmercrazy; 01-10-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Falcon23
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 ZCP

For the M5, I prefer this SG.

I think is more adapted for this kind of vehicle...

My 2 cents ...
      01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Welcome to Bimmerpost and 5Post, Bimmercrazy!

My 2 cents: There's no doubt to me that Singapore Gray and MCB are the hottest colors for the F10 M5. Personally, I'm so in love with MCB I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get it if I was to order one right now. Sure, others might follow the trend as the press cars and photos all showed Monte Carlo Blue. But if it's the color you want I'd say go for it.

Singapore Grey looks stunning in person too (as you know ), and it's way less flashy. Long story short, you can't go wrong but have a look at our official Singapore Grey photos thread if it helps.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Welcome to our M5 site!

I'm fully with you on your thoughts of getting an exclusive M5 color (it's what I've done in the past as well with the M3), but something to keep in mind is that these two exclusive colors may also end up being two of the most colors for the F10 M5.

MCB is the marketing color so as you said, it's already popular. And judging by the very positive reaction to photos of singapore grey M5s posted here, I would assume that will be popular as well.

If you're leaning towards singapore grey I don't think you can do wrong. I haven't seen it in person but it seems like a very dynamic color for a darker color. To me, it has this great slight bluish hue to it that makes it avoid having the dullness of a traditional dark grey color. Don't know if you've seen all the photos posted of this color, but as Southlight suggested, have a look at our Singapore Grey F10 M5 thread (your pics are now included as well). Maybe there are some photos there that help your decision.

But if you're looking for flashy, MCB might be the way to go. Sure it might be popular on dealers order lists, but how many will you bump into on the roads. Only on the internet will that color feel 'crowded'

Hope that helps. Be sure to share your decision with us and of course your ownership pics and experience!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Hi and welcome!

My opinion is that M5 is already stealthy (wolf in sheep's clothing) and whichever color you choose from - don't "overstealth" it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Are you only considering a black interior? I think i'd get SG with shakir

Last edited by MUFCbmwbear; 01-11-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Bimmercrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, SG/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCe82 View Post
Are you only considering a black interior? I think i'd get SG with shakir
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Hi and welcome!

My opinion is that M5 is already stealthy (wolf in sheep's clothing) and whichever color you choose from - don't "overstealth" it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Welcome to our M5 site!

I'm fully with you on your thoughts of getting an exclusive M5 color (it's what I've done in the past as well with the M3), but something to keep in mind is that these two exclusive colors may also end up being two of the most colors for the F10 M5.

MCB is the marketing color so as you said, it's already popular. And judging by the very positive reaction to photos of singapore grey M5s posted here, I would assume that will be popular as well......
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Welcome to Bimmerpost and 5Post, Bimmercrazy! :thumsup.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon23 View Post
For the M5, I prefer this SG.

I think is more adapted for this kind of vehicle...

My 2 cents ...

Hi all, thanks for your advice....thing is and you wouldn't know this unless you were British but the MCB is a bit "chavy" / soccer player. This isn't a good thing. We try and stay away from being mistaken for this type of person so yes while I think MCB is a standout colour you would risk drawing the wrong sort of attention to oneself in UK.

Decisions, decisions...and thanks for the link to other colour thread...

01-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

I say MCB or AW (Forgive me if they don't offer the F10 M5 in AW but i saw pics of a white one and fell in love)

Either one, just go with what would make YOU happy in the end! You'll be driving it (hopefully daily ) and will be the one enjoying it not us so go for what you'd want. I was in the same predicament and ended up opting for Lemans Blue on my E92 M3 that's on order!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
MacDriver
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercrazy View Post
Hi all, thanks for your advice....thing is and you wouldn't know this unless you were British but the MCB is a bit "chavy" / soccer player. This isn't a good thing. We try and stay away from being mistaken for this type of person so yes while I think MCB is a standout colour you would risk drawing the wrong sort of attention to oneself in UK.

Decisions, decisions...and thanks for the link to other colour thread...

This is not different here in Germany. There are two options: you want to show everyone that you drive a M5 or your want to hide it and enjoy it your own.

For the first MCB, frozen grey, white, orange, etc. are the right colours. For the others it is SG or one of the black variants.

I have chosen SG.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDriver View Post
This is not different here in Germany. There are two options: you want to show everyone that you drive a M5 or your want to hide it and enjoy it your own.

For the first MCB, frozen grey, white, orange, etc. are the right colours. For the others it is SG or one of the black variants.

I have chosen SG.
My love for MCB makes me dare to disagree. It's a flashy color for sure but most people don't realize that means it's an M5.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
MacDriver
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

I also liked MCB, even though I have seen it too often now. It is a flashy colour that you would not choose, if you want to hide the power of your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

SG reminds me of my Sparkling Graphite 330xi. I loved the colour and find SG strikingly elegant.
I lean to the stealth side myself, which supports the previous comments.
Appreciate 0