Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Impressions after ~1700 miles

I have to admit, having lived with the M5 for a month, I enjoyed every mile I put on it. I'm still getting acquainted with the size of the thing having come from a tiny B7 Audi. The upside of this was having more space and cargo room. I think I have more cargo room than I'm ever going to use, and that gives me peace of mind. The downside is the car feels less personal, but I'll comment on my driving experience later. I'll go over aspects of my ownership.

Fuel Economy: During my break in period, I don't think the car even saw more than half throttle. I was really feathering this thing, and I really reaped the rewards. I was observing as high as 27.5 MPG highway, and that put a big grin on my face. This car is very fuel efficient when you want it to. Attribute this to Efficient Dynamics and a grandma-like driving style My RS4 was dreadful on gas, so I won't even draw comparisons, there aren't any.

Comfort: Jesus Christ this thing is comfy. 10/10 in this area. I can't find anything to knock. The seats are stellar, the driving position is sublime, everything is within reach, the entertainment system feels like it's from another century compared to the super outdated RNS-E older Audis use. The stereo is the standard fare, but very very nice. Haven't heard B&O in person, but I like the stock speakers already. Every surface is either covered in leather or padded nicely. I can see where my money went. My route to work usually makes me take the 60 freeway. For those of you who know, it's really rough and sh*tty, for lack of better words. This car takes it like a champ. I often avoided taking that freeway in my RS4 because it was pretty low and far too stiff. Would've been a literal pain in the neck. (I installed H&Rs and spacers recently. Ride feels about the same. Alignment to come when car settles more)

Attention: This car is very stealth, and I love that. It attracts admiring looks from enthusiasts and on occasion I get complimented once in a while at the pump. My last car was bright yellow and could not be more conspicuous if it tried. I was bombarded with questions about it all the time and it got tiresome. I'm not an attention seeker, so this is a massive plus.

Performance: I'll be honest, I wasn't completely sold on the car driving off the lot. It felt like my brother's F10 528i in terms of ride, but had way better body control. I did like the steering off the bat, however. Very smooth and precise, enough feel piped in. The engine and tranny, the stars of the car, were struggling to impress me during break in. Sure it had torque, but I just couldn't see why others were raving about the drivetrain. I knew I had to reserve my judgements until its first service at 1200 miles, and I have never been so glad to be wrong in my life. This car is an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL. I have never experienced such urgency to devour tarmac in my entire life, it's silly how mental this car is. It felt like a whole new car after break in. I had no clue how violent this car could be at WOT, it made my RS4 feel like a Yaris (that car had an ECU and exhaust too) I've had a perma-smile ever since the 1200 mile service, absolutely zero regrets. This car also holds its own in the corners for being such a heavyweight. I took onramps faster than I should have and the car remained composed and stable throughout. Well done BMW. Did I mention the M-DCT is perfect? Snaps off shifts insanely fast and smooth. My left leg can finally take a much needed break in LA traffic .

Naysayers: My dad and brother were pivotal in telling me NOT to buy the car. Too expensive this, bad on gas that, not a real M blah blah (insert non substantiated bullsh*t here) My brother having just purchased his M-Sport 528i kept insisting that the M5 isn't that much faster than him. My father didn't like how pricey the car was, so he kept telling me to return it I drove to the bay area for the holidays to visit them, and how I wish I got a video of both their reactions when I did a highway pull. My dad was cussing like a sailor, my brother rendered speechless. Haven't heard a peep since. How ironic...

Misc: I like how the M5 sounds, but it doesn't hold a candle to my old Audi. The RS4 was an instrument of noise, the M5 sounds kind of "hollow" for a V8 if you can say that.

TL;DR---Bought M5, not sure if want. Did 1200 mile service and DO WANT. Very comfy, very fast. Dad and brother hated it. Now they want to sell their cars.

Quick cell pic after oil top off: (promise better pics in the future)

Last edited by wisesoul; 01-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Nice write up. Yes I remember the 60 well, and it's the worst ......well better than NY City roads. Enjoy, and I smile every time I start up my M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
jerseygirl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

doesnt sound impressive for a 100k car especially for an M5. its not even on my radar. the m6 coupe or M6 grand coupe are being considered. i will wait for the new M3 to come out before any decision is made.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Regarding the sound, just get Eisenmann to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Excellent commentary. Enjoy your new beast in good health.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

congrats and safe driving. yep it is stealth fast.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
doesnt sound impressive for a 100k car especially for an M5. its not even on my radar. the m6 coupe or M6 grand coupe are being considered. i will wait for the new M3 to come out before any decision is made.
Don't follow your logic M6 has the same engine as the M5? M3 very different car than the M5 I would say being a previous M3 owner a long time ago. Find me a car 100k to 110k that can do what the M5 does? If you have not driven the car I can see your logic, but not a good way to assess performance IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Well the M6 GranCoupe has the same powertrain, same power output, and weighs 11lbs more than the M5. So you won't be impressed by that either - it will be very similar to the M5.

You could get an M3, but I'd take this over an M3 anyday.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-01-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Nice write up. Yes I remember the 60 well, and it's the worst ......well better than NY City roads. Enjoy, and I smile every time I start up my M5.
I feel for you east coast guys! Thanks!
Quote:
Not sure if I could emphasize this more, but the M5 is worth every penny. M6 Coupe and GC have different styling, but dynamics wise, they will be 99% the same. Drive one, you'll be blown away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Regarding the sound, just get Eisenmann to fix it.
I'm sure an exhaust would do this car wonders, I just wish it had that crazy induction noise like the Audi instead of a cool exhaust noise. It is growing on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
Excellent commentary. Enjoy your new beast in good health.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
congrats and safe driving. yep it is stealth fast.
It amazes me that this thing is stock. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
chsu74
Rep
Drives: 550XI, 993TT, GL320

You will have to get 200 cell cats plus mufflers to get decent sound past the turbos. Unfortunately, it will never have the presence of the NA V8s or V10s from before.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
I have to admit, having lived with the M5 for a month, I enjoyed every mile I put on it. I'm still getting acquainted with the size of the thing having come from a tiny B7 Audi. The upside of this was having more space and cargo room. I think I have more cargo room than I'm ever going to use, and that gives me peace of mind. The downside is the car feels less personal, but I'll comment on my driving experience later. I'll go over aspects of my ownership.

Fuel Economy: During my break in period, I don't think the car even saw more than half throttle. I was really feathering this thing, and I really reaped the rewards. I was observing as high as 27.5 MPG highway, and that put a big grin on my face. This car is very fuel efficient when you want it to. Attribute this to Efficient Dynamics and a grandma-like driving style My RS4 was dreadful on gas, so I won't even draw comparisons, there aren't any.

Comfort: Jesus Christ this thing is comfy. 10/10 in this area. I can't find anything to knock. The seats are stellar, the driving position is sublime, everything is within reach, the entertainment system feels like it's from another century compared to the super outdated RNS-E older Audis use. The stereo is the standard fare, but very very nice. Haven't heard B&O in person, but I like the stock speakers already. Every surface is either covered in leather or padded nicely. I can see where my money went. My route to work usually makes me take the 60 freeway. For those of you who know, it's really rough and sh*tty for lack of better words. This car takes it like a champ. I often avoided taking that freeway in my RS4 because it was pretty low and far too stiff. Would've been a literal pain in the neck. (I installed H&Rs and spacers recently. Ride feels about the same. Alignment to come when car settles more)

Attention: This car is very stealth, and I love that. It attracts admiring looks from enthusiasts and on occasion I get complimented once in a while at the pump. My last car was bright yellow and could not be more conspicuous if it tried. I was bombarded with questions about it all the time and it got tiresome. I'm not an attention seeker, so this is a massive plus.

Performance: I'll be honest, I wasn't completely sold on the car driving off the lot. It felt like my brother's F10 528i in terms of ride, but had way better body control. I did like the steering off the bat, however. Very smooth and precise, enough feel piped in. The engine and tranny, the stars of the car, were struggling to impress me during break in. Sure it had torque, but I just couldn't see why others were raving about the drivetrain. I knew I had to reserve my judgements until its first service at 1200 miles, and I have never been so glad to be wrong in my life. This car is an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL. I have never experienced such urgency to devour tarmac in my entire life, it's silly how mental this car is. It felt like a whole new car after break in. I had no clue how violent this car could be at WOT, it made my RS4 feel like a Yaris (that car had an ECU and exhaust too) I've had a perma-smile ever since the 1200 mile service, absolutely zero regrets. This car also holds its own in the corners for being such a heavyweight. I took onramps faster than I should have and the car remained composed and stable throughout. Well done BMW. Did I mention the M-DCT is perfect? Snaps off shifts insanely fast and smooth. My left leg can finally take a much needed break in LA traffic .

Naysayers: My dad and brother were pivotal in telling me NOT to buy the car. Too expensive this, bad on gas that, not a real M blah blah (insert non substantiated bullsh*t here) My brother having just purchased his M-Sport 528i kept insisting that the M5 isn't that much faster than him. My father didn't like how pricey the car was, so he kept telling me to return it I drove to the bay area for the holidays to visit them, and how I wish I got a video of both their reactions when I did a highway pull. My dad was cussing like a sailor, my brother rendered speechless. Haven't heard a peep since. How ironic...

Misc: I like how the M5 sounds, but it doesn't hold a candle to my old Audi. The RS4 was an instrument of noise, the M5 sounds kind of "hollow" for a V8 if you can say that.

TL;DR---Bought M5, not sure if want. Did 1200 mile service and DO WANT. Very comfy, very fast. Dad and brother hated it. Now they want to sell their cars.

Quick cell pic after oil top off: (promise better pics in the future)
Thanks for the info. One question.....

After coming from the RS4, do you feel like the M5 has enough grip to handle all its power or not? I am concerned that with DSC on, it will be kicking in ALL the time and bogging me down, while with it off, the car will be all over the place.
      01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
MDM (M Dynamic Mode) is the perfect balance
      01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

half way through break-in. have been driving with DSC full on, but it has kicked in too many times. will try MDM after 1st service.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
You will have to get 200 cell cats plus mufflers to get decent sound past the turbos. Unfortunately, it will never have the presence of the NA V8s or V10s from before.
The downpipes on this thing have huge cats, I'm sure a lot of sound/power to get from there. I'm fine stock for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Thanks for the info. One question.....

After coming from the RS4, do you feel like the M5 has enough grip to handle all its power or not? I am concerned that with DSC on, it will be kicking in ALL the time and bogging me down, while with it off, the car will be all over the place.
Glad you asked. Traction in the RS4 was never an issue. M5 has lots of grip in corners, but traction off the line could use some work. The PSS are really good tires, but DSC still manages to flash unexpectedly. Not much of an annoyance, knew it came with the territory. I only give it liberal amounts of throttle from a roll, otherwise I am pretty gentle. I'll try MDM when the weather warms up a little. I wonder if the stock rear wheels can accommodate 305s...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Yes, they can, but you're stuck with Pirellis which are reportedly less sticky.
      01-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Awesome writeup thanks so much. You summed up the car great, so many of my passengers are sold on the new beast and I am sure I have sold a few for bmw!
      01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I think the stock rubber will be ok for now, definitely going 305s when I find the right brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Awesome writeup thanks so much. You summed up the car great, so many of my passengers are sold on the new beast and I am sure I have sold a few for bmw!
You and I both! I don't want to put too many people in debt Thanks!

In other news, I was on the 605 earlier and encountered a new matte white CLS 63. I go next to him to give him a thumbs up and he just punches it. I slowly caught up again to try and give him a thumbs up and he flips me off and roars away Is the rivalry between MB and BMW such that owners are flat out disrespectful to each other?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Awesome review!
The M5 is amazing no doubt
      01-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #19
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I think the stock rubber will be ok for now, definitely going 305s when I find the right brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
You and I both! I don't want to put too many people in debt Thanks!

In other news, I was on the 605 earlier and encountered a new matte white CLS 63. I go next to him to give him a thumbs up and he just punches it. I slowly caught up again to try and give him a thumbs up and he flips me off and roars away Is the rivalry between MB and BMW such that owners are flat out disrespectful to each other?

Same thing happened to me with a E63 last week. I roll down my window to give him a thumbs and he shakes his head and gives me a thumbs down. Next thing I know light is green and he takes off. Well we hit the next light and i showed him who's boss. Not even close. We hit another light and same result he was seeing my tail lights. No red calipers on be E63 so I don't believe it had had performance package.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
Same thing happened to me with a E63 last week. I roll down my window to give him a thumbs and he shakes his head and gives me a thumbs down. Next thing I know light is green and he takes off. Well we hit the next light and i showed him who's boss. Not even close. We hit another light and same result he was seeing my tail lights. No red calipers on be E63 so I don't believe it had had performance package.
I really hope it was an anomaly, but it sure was a nice looking car though. Looks like you've had to deal with something similar. I did have a laugh imagining how you took care of it, priceless!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Thoroughly enjoyed this review. Trying to imagine what the thrust feels like on that thing. Thanks for sharing and your drop is perfect
      01-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great 1st impression! LMAO @ ur pops n bro, dont u jus luv provin ppl wrong?

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0