M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Latest GSR Technik S63tu Stage 2 Tune +139whp +107wtq (676whp/613wtq)

GSR Technik Tuning, formerly Jailbreak Tuning.

Just finished up another M5 yesterday and thought we would post results. This car was running downpipes and afe Momentum intake with GSR Technik Stage 2 ECU flash tune.

Last edited by GSR Technik; 06-03-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
GSR Technik Tuning, formerly Jailbreak Tuning.

Just finished up another M5 yesterday and thought we would post results. This car was running downpipes and afe Momentum intake with GSR Technik Stage 2 ECU flash tune.

What's the price on this tune?
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
What's the price on this tune?
$3,000 Stage 1 - no mods
$3,500 Stage 2 - primarily dp and optionally intake and/or exhaust

We do offer discounts to Bimmperpost members.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Bushido Brown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

What kind of results are expected from the Stage 1 tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
How is the trans holding up?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

The numbers are great and not too much tq which will not impact the clutches so bad.
      06-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
tony.m6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, CTS-V, F10 M5, TURBO-S

That's a bit pricey!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartian777 View Post
The numbers are great and not too much tq which will not impact the clutches so bad.
There's a thread going on to see if enough candidates are interested to get GSR Autosport to the North East .. incase you're curious or interested (Im currently curious) they also have a GroupBuy

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1123664

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
$3,000 Stage 1 - no mods
$3,500 Stage 2 - primarily dp and optionally intake and/or exhaust

We do offer discounts to Bimmperpost members.
Please PM me the price of the Stage 2 with the discount. This is a custom Dyno tune correct and not a canned tune?
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden View Post
How is the trans holding up?
Mind you it's a very small sample size but we have observed (on our dyno) DCT clutch packs slipping/failing at or about 700whp. But... we have a clutch back upgrade that is good until about 800hp. We haven't had a customer yet with a manual push a car to that level. We have a manual M5 coming in middle of the month but the goal for that tune is not that lofty.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Mind you it's a very small sample size but we have observed (on our dyno) DCT clutch packs slipping/failing at or about 700whp. But... we have a clutch back upgrade that is good until about 800hp. We haven't had a customer yet with a manual push a car to that level. We have a manual M5 coming in middle of the month but the goal for that tune is not that lofty.
Are we able to send in ECU's to your shop or these are "bring the car" in and program on the dyno ?
How are you loading the tune into the computer ?
Thanks for the information. This is great news for a California tuning company
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Are we able to send in ECU's to your shop or these are "bring the car" in and program on the dyno ?
How are you loading the tune into the computer ?
Thanks for the information. This is great news for a California tuning company
Erik,

You can send ECU or send car. We can also come to you but we typically charge for travel time/miles.

This is a bench flash - so connecting directly to the board.

Nick...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

3500 is just ridiculous, why not go for 10k already, m6 owners will afford it.
      06-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Silverstone Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartian777 View Post
3500 is just ridiculous, why not go for 10k already, m6 owners will afford it.
Do you really think $3500 is ridiculous? Considering what we pay for these cars and the fact that you as the customer can have GSR modify the tune to suit your driving style or desire.

I just had the tune done yesterday and I didn't want to shoot for the moon and have Max HP. I wanted a broad and flat torque curve from roughly 2500-5000 RPM. To me the area under the curve is more critical. I want to stay in peak torque for as long as possible as that is what really helps make a car accelerate...among other components to make the complete package. Peak HP is for people who have a look at me complex and whip out dyno sheets like they are comparing their peckers.

Last edited by The Goose; 06-04-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
desant89
Rep
Drives: 2012 M6 Convert/2013 Alpina B7

I was not going to get in this, but I cannot stand when I see "for what we pay for these cars!" What is that supposed to mean? Cause we buy expensive cars, we need to spend triple what other brand car owners pay for the the same thing? I had a Challenger SRT8 that I supercharged, and it required a custom tune. That too at that time had an issue where only a few have cracked the code and was able to tune it. So it is not far off from what is being done to our M cars....I paid under 1k for the dyno tune. That may be on the inexpensive side of things, but let's keep things realistic here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
I was not going to get in this, but I cannot stand when I see "for what we pay for these cars!" What is that supposed to mean? Cause we buy expensive cars, we need to spend triple what other brand car owners pay for the the same thing? I had a Challenger SRT8 that I supercharged, and it required a custom tune. That too at that time had an issue where only a few have cracked the code and was able to tune it. So it is not far off from what is being done to our M cars....I paid under 1k for the dyno tune. That may be on the inexpensive side of things, but let's keep things realistic here.
Do you really think the technology to ECU tune a Challenger is the same as a M5? To each their own and we all want to the best value and you have to consider what the other tunes can do for their cost. I did my research and based on what I saw I felt GSR Techik is the best for the M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
desant89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg69ss View Post
Do you really think the technology to ECU tune a Challenger is the same as a M5? To each their own and we all want to the best value and you have to consider what the other tunes can do for their cost. I did my research and based on what I saw I felt GSR Techik is the best for the M5.
I am sure they are among the best with tuning these cars. More and more will be coming along doing this. I know Mercedes was involved with Daimler at one point. Not sure if they had their hand in that ECU at all, but apparently it was really complicated. I am sure this is much better than a piggyback in many ways (no need to get into that as it is all over the place), but does it warrant a 500% price increase?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #18
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's really not even car, it's the specific generation of ECU (Bosch, Siemens, etc.) and how the code has been written for that particular application. BMWs OE embedded systems engineers seem to pride themselves on how complex they can make these systems and with the new Flexray BUS they can now transmit data 10x faster on the BUS which allows them to add more complexity because they can process more data in real time. Also Flexray has point to point messaging framework where CANBUS in broadcast so there is less messaging traffic on the BUS so it's really way more than 10x what they can process in real time now.

Honestly I have no idea about the nuances of tuning a Challenger but typically what we see, as the cost of the car goes up the complexity of the electronics goes up exponentially. Most of the new generation electronics on BMWs are tested on the 7 Series which are a frickin nightmare.

Nick...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
The Goose
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's really not even car, it's the specific generation of ECU (Bosch, Siemens, etc.) and how the code has been written for that particular application. BMWs OE embedded systems engineers seem to pride themselves on how complex they can make these systems and with the new Flexray BUS they can now transmit data 10x faster on the BUS which allows them to add more complexity because they can process more data in real time. Also Flexray has point to point messaging framework where CANBUS in broadcast so there is less messaging traffic on the BUS so it's really way more than 10x what they can process in real time now.

Honestly I have no idea about the nuances of tuning a Challenger but typically what we see, as the cost of the car goes up the complexity of the electronics goes up exponentially. Most of the new generation electronics on BMWs are tested on the 7 Series which are a frickin nightmare.

Nick...
I agree with what your are saying as you added the technical explanation. The electronics in these M5's are way more complex and sophisticated. If I owned a Challenger SRT or something like it I would put a stand alone Big Stuff 3 on it instead of tuning the existing factory ECU. Too each their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #20
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you really think $3500 is ridiculous? Considering what we pay for these cars and the fact that you as the customer can have GSR modify the tune to suit your driving style or desire.

I just had the tune done yesterday and I didn't want to shoot for the moon and have Max HP. I wanted a broad and flat torque curve from roughly 2500-5000 RPM. To me the area under the curve is more critical. I want to stay in peak torque for as long as possible as that is what really helps make a car accelerate...among other components to make the complete package. Peak HP is for people who have a look at me complex and whip out dyno sheets like they are comparing their peckers.
Yes it's fking ridiculous, I don't care if it's GSR, ASR or USSR, this tune shouldn't cost more than 2k, unless you can tune initially from OBD, it's not worth over 2k. Thanks !
      06-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #21
desant89
Rep

I look at it like everything else. You have a nice house with an acre, you pay more to have it landscaped than you do for a crappy house with the same land. Contractors come in to do work, the luxurious level of home pays more than the not so luxurious home for the same work. I am not saying that this is what is being done to us here, but it cannot be true that the more expensive item cost more to maintain, repair or change in every way all of the time.....

I do like the technical explanation given by GSR here though, and am not saying it is not true. Look at downpipes....Another fine example. Those are outright robbery....Muffler deletes on an M cost more than complete exhaust on other cars.

This is just the world we live in. Moving forward, I sure love owning an M, and would not change it. I paid over 2500 for an intake! You want the best, you have to pay for it I guess.....I just do not agree with it. It's a luxury tax that we pay, nothing more....
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

The price discussion is laughable.
GSR/Jailbreak is right along with top tuners based on price.
Just because they release their prices online everyone wants to say too expensive ?
So your $100,000+ car wasn't expensive either right ?
But we purchase them anyways cause we want the best
Same with products. I'd want the best products on any vehicle.
I know that GSR will back up their tunes and clients as well.
Good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good.
Appreciate 1