M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Steering wheel vibration when braking

Pretty sure I know what the issue is but just want some feedback anyways because I over analyze lol ... little back story .. car was involved in an accident 2 months ago and had some suspension components replaced .. car was obviously aligned and I had all 4 tires placed on ...

Now when I brake from 60-40 the steering wheel vibrates lightly... I already had my wheels re balanced and it still does it ... i need new brakes for the front and back in 4K miles according to the car info ... so I think the fronts are worn a little earlier than predicted which is causing the issue. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Warped/damaged rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Warped rotors. I’m on my 3rd set and car is at 11,900 miles. Every time they changed them out, car is smooth. Just had mine done and hopefully it’s the last time. But yeah, symptoms are braking in the 65 to 45 mph zone, steeringwheel shakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
Warped rotors. I’m on my 3rd set and car is at 11,900 miles. Every time they changed them out, car is smooth. Just had mine done and hopefully it’s the last time. But yeah, symptoms are braking in the 65 to 45 mph zone, steeringwheel shakes.
Alright taken it in next week. I figured it was that. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:41 AM   #5
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Can warped rotors cause steering wheel vibration when NOT braking ... just on normal driving ?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_knee View Post
Can warped rotors cause steering wheel vibration when NOT braking ... just on normal driving ?
Shouldn’t. Just braking since your clamping on the rotors. If your shaking without brakes, it’s wheels or something else. Waay over my head now. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Shouldn’t. Just braking since your clamping on the rotors. If your shaking without brakes, it’s wheels or something else. Waay over my head now. Sorry.
Taking it in to dealership tomorrow thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Get road force balancing from a shop that KNOWS how to use their equipment. Some shops have the machine and don't calibrate it/know how to really use it. Vibration on braking is most likely rotors. Warped or big deposits on them.
      12-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Quote:
Get road force balancing from a shop that KNOWS how to use their equipment. Some shops have the machine and don't calibrate it/know how to really use it. Vibration on braking is most likely rotors. Warped or big deposits on them.
Had a road force balance done at dealership. Issue seems resolved when accelerating... they didn't want to replace brakes yet because it's not down to the "minimum"....so I still get shaking when I brake
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Had a road force balance done at dealership. Issue seems resolved when accelerating... they didn't want to replace brakes yet because it's not down to the "minimum"....so I still get shaking when I brake
That’s effn BS. Those rotors should be replaced! Take it to another stealer. And/or have them ride with you to show the shaking. These are top of the line bmw machines and should never shake when braking. Fuckn Honda’s don’t do it, neither should M5s!!
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That’s effn BS. Those rotors should be replaced! Take it to another stealer. And/or have them ride with you to show the shaking. These are top of the line bmw machines and should never shake when braking. Fuckn Honda’s don’t do it, neither should M5s!!
Ya these idiots wanted me to pay 1200... and I have the maintenance package for brakes. But it's not down to the "minimum".... the service advisor that always helps me wasn't there due to vacation, so I'm gonna wait for him to help. Hell make it happen
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00