BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

TO all you body shop experts - so what on earth is this

So I noticed this on the rear bumper of the car today...it s avery small "lump" that is annoying me so much as I'm super anal about what the car looks like...

I have no idea what could have caused it but I'm hoping one of you can...

Before I purchased the car I asked the dealer to respray the rear bumper due to a couple of scuffs - could this be something to do with a poor respray?/

Going back up to the dealer is not really an option as I am 300 miles away but if it is a body shop error I'm hoping I can somehow get a local BMW dealer to help repair

Thoughts???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Most likely yes - it has to do with a poor respray job. I'm assuming they had the bumper cover off the car sitting upright so that the parking sensors are pointing to the ceiling. As he was spraying, he most likely had a drip from the spray nozzle/gun and left it as is. That dried to what you see like a lump. If it as debris, then it would be smaller but that looks like a drip.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Is it hard to the touch or can you press it in and have it pop back?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
darkz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [9.00]
2012 BMW X3  [9.00]
2013 Ford F150 FX4  [10.00]
definitely a poor spray job
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Did you leave it in hot sun?

The ratio of paint and solvent, sufficient drying between coats, distance of paint gun, and also the humidity / moisture in the air in the paint booth matters. These bubbles can appear weeks after the paint job and accelerated under high temperatures as the gasses trapped in your paint expand. This is mostly due to poor workmanship and properly painted cars shouldn't do this.

I had my door repainted and the body shop told me all about care that is needed after the process. Although you can sand and polish straight out of the paint booth, they highly recommend that you don't seal it (ppf or sealant wax) for 30 days. Although curing all happens in the paint booth, there is still some natural curing that needs to happen for it to fully harden. Let the paint breathe...

All body shops should cary a warranty on their work, this is poor workmanship. I wouldn't go to a body shop that doesn't carry a lifetime warranty on their paint work.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

Seriously? Maybe just try to get over it. That's not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So I noticed this on the rear bumper of the car today...it s avery small "lump" that is annoying me so much as I'm super anal about what the car looks like...

Before I purchased the car I asked the dealer to respray the rear bumper due to a couple of scuffs - could this be something to do with a poor respray?/

Going back up to the dealer is not really an option as I am 300 miles away but if it is a body shop error I'm hoping I can somehow get a local BMW dealer to help repair

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all your comments then....

This actually appeared pretty much overnight, 9 months after the initial paint job...

So it sounds like there is some form of defect...

I think the problem I will now have is getting the bodyshop who did the work to admit fault and to agree to me having the bumper resprayed locally as I am not going to travel 300 miles back up to them...

Lets see what happens but if they are funny about it I will need to raise this centrally with BMW UK
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

So ive just spoken to the bodyshop that did the work...And they think that it has been caused by some sort of impact...

I have to admit, I think they may be right...

There are no visible scuff marks, cracked paint etc etc...But the budge itself is hard so their thoughts are someone hit me which caused the bumper to push in on itself and whatever is behind the bumper pushed back out to cause the buldge

It does make sense and if this is the case, I guess the damage wont get any worse....If it is a paint defect then I guess it will get worse

Either way the car is going in for a service in a couple of weeks and Ill ask their bodyshop guy to take a look...

THoughts???
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

I don't think any type of impact could cause a bubble underneath the paint. Pretty sure that body shop is full of it.

Did you respond regarding whether you can push in on the bubble and it pops back? Or is it a hard lump?
      11-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
I don't think any type of impact could cause a bubble underneath the paint. Pretty sure that body shop is full of it.

Did you respond regarding whether you can push in on the bubble and it pops back? Or is it a hard lump?
Its a hard lump which makes me think their explanation stacks up...Ie something from behind the bumper caused it during some form of impact

Ultimately though....I guess if its a paint problem, it will just get worse with time
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
The question you have to ask what could hit your car hard enough and not cause more damage. The bumper would have to flex in 4 inches and hit the support behind the bumper. Tell the body shop to stuff it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

ultimately I have to get the bodywork that did the original work to admit to some kind of fault...If they are saying it must have been caused by impact then I'm hoping if I can go to another bmw body shop then hopefully i can get more of an independent response to what he thinks caused the damage
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
darkz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [9.00]
2012 BMW X3  [9.00]
2013 Ford F150 FX4  [10.00]
take it to a few paint shops and ask for their opinion, a good painter will know right away.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Yeah, poor spray. Appears to be a drip.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Not a drip...It literally appeared overnight

So i currently have 2 thoughts

1) Someone did hit me and pushed the bumper in and caused the inprint from whatever is being the bumper

2) Some kind of reaction going on under the paint surface which is causing this hard lump

Ill be off to seek the opinion of a few different bodyshops...If they confirm its a paint defect, Ill be taking it up directly with BMW to rectify..If not, Ill prob just have to live with it because its not enough damage to warrat fixing it at this stage
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #16
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

bumper cover

Quote:

Thoughts???
Well, I have read couple of the responses, and what I can tell you is that haven't checked your car very good... What I mean is that if your car has original paint, you should find this little bump at the rear of the car ( bumper cover ) . Yes you should all have it. If not then it probably means that the bumper cover was in fact sprayed.
That little bump annoyed me at first and then I went to the dealer and looked at another new car, and there she was little zit at the back.

I have no idea if this is a defect from that particular mold, or .... the design team left it there for some unknown purpose , in any case I do not have time to take the picture of mine, but it is EXACTLY the same as yours. It is roughly in the center lower portion of the bumper, right ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #17
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineF10 View Post
Well, I have read couple of the responses, and what I can tell you is that haven't checked your car very good... What I mean is that if your car has original paint, you should find this little bump at the rear of the car ( bumper cover ) . Yes you should all have it. If not then it probably means that the bumper cover was in fact sprayed.
That little bump annoyed me at first and then I went to the dealer and looked at another new car, and there she was little zit at the back.

I have no idea if this is a defect from that particular mold, or .... the design team left it there for some unknown purpose , in any case I do not have time to take the picture of mine, but it is EXACTLY the same as yours. It is roughly in the center lower portion of the bumper, right ?
Yes but my point is that it has never been there until now...It literally appeared overnight...

Not sure I completely understand your point, but no m5 should have this....and to re-iterate my point, it was not there before

If you have it as well (Id be interested to see a pic) they maybe you are somehow suffering with the same problem as I....

Either an impact or caused by a poor paintjob when it was re-sprayed
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

Quote:
Yes but my point is that it has never been there until now...It literally appeared overnight...

Not sure I completely understand your point, but no m5 should have this....and to re-iterate my point, it was not there before

If you have it as well (Id be interested to see a pic) they maybe you are somehow suffering with the same problem as I....

Either an impact or caused by a poor paintjob when it was re-sprayed
I'm pretty sure all of the M5 have the exact thing in the exact same spot.
I have only picked up on it when I buffed the car, and that happened 1/2 year after the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
This "bump" is not on my car either.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

so I have now been to 2 more BMW bodyshops for further opinions

The first bodyshop has said that he doesnt think its caused by an impact but wont know for sure until he takes the bumper off to see what is behind the "lump"...

The second bodyshop confirmed what the original bodhop said in that it has definately been caused by a low speed impact as you can make out a slight curvature around the lump if the light is right...The way he described it made sense to me

Ill prob get a third opinion either way....

I think either way whatever is stated ill prob have a fight on my hands as the original bodyshop that resprayed the bumper has said they wont agree to anything without seeing the car.... They are 300 miles away so I know I def wont be drivingup there for them to view

Sometimes I wish I was less anal as no one has noticed this mark without me pointing it out to them...Maybe Ill wait until I get some further scuffs on the rear bumper (im bound to as I live in London) and then get the whole bumper resprayed them with a new 3d design diffuser...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
I would say just drive and enjoy the car. You cant keep your car perfect! Too many small things to think of.

Used to be very OCD about cars. I mind a lot of small rock chips and scratches! And i feel bad about it and i always think that i keep breaking my car. No matter how good your car is, it still depreciate like hell. So.. Drive and enjoy them in good health.
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #22
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

You are spending so much time and money on finding the cause, I would have just got it resprayed and get it sorted.
Appreciate 0