BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Dipsticks

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...The engineers at BMW are "dipsticks" for not including dipsticks on their cars, even as a duplicate to their electronic monitor wiz bangery... This is still stuck sideways in my craw...I'm going ahead and ordering the M, but I do all of my own preventative maintenance. One can tell that:

1. They don't want you to do the preventative maintenance-simply by looking at the owner's manual.
2. I'm in an extreme minority demographically, of folks who buy BMWs-and are so inclined...

It ticks me off. OK, I'll end my rant.

Last edited by GarbageMan; 12-21-2013 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Lol your not alone on this. Many of us love to do our own pm. Point of no return. Even w no spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Lol your not alone on this. Many of us love to do our own pm. Point of no return. Even w no spare tire.
The thing is, I will do my own PMs; the electronic bar graph does preclude me from changing my own oil and filter at some anal-retentive, excessive rate. What it does preclude is EXACT oil level monitoring. I'm not talking about "close", I'm talking EXACT. When I change the oil, I'd like it about a 1/2 cup to a cup low. I don't want it even 1/2 a cup high. When I tell the BMW dealer that I will do my own, they look at me like I'm, well, a Phil Robertson red-neck, which I most certainly am...

A BMW tech filling the engine with a digital bulk feed gun has no idea if he/or she has over or under-filled to the degree I desire. (How much oil was still in various cavities when they drained it?). (Is the stated capacity with filter THE capacity? Heck, my wife's Sequoia is supposed to take 7.4 qts with the filter. At 7.4, it is overfilled; at 7 it is perfect. How am I going to know this with the cute little bar graph?). The dealer just knows if they've made the little bar graph "happy". That little bar graph does not provide for the kind of accuracy I want. What would the dipstick have cost BMW, $50? I highly doubt if it would be even close to that much. OK, I'll really stop now...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I totally agree bro. It's frustrating. No point of getting yourself upset over something we can't control though. We talked about this subject last year.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

You are right. I'll stop it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

What do we do if we ever get a flat on a road trip now that there is no spare tires and our tires are not run flats??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Act like George Jetson. Always worked for him. Lol. Naw that's when you call a flatbed to be towed in. We're all in the same boat bro.

Country run
Appreciate 0