M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #67
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom5 View Post
haha yeah. i cant imagine living in winters over there... i'll stick with the rain lol

i already did try the break in method prior though. i may try the wheel cleaner though. which one have you used?
Both of them with no significant success... I live with that squealing noise
But on mine is not that bad.
A guy in 6post told me this noise is so good and is like an alert to let people know we are arriving
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #68
method.man
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

I just had my brake pads replaced with the newer version. I'm happy to report the brakes currently operate as they should, and the squeak is finally gone. I've had my car since January 2014 and the brakes have been squeaky since day one. I've complained multiple times to different dealerships whom all told me this was "normal". After over a year and 3 months I am finally squeak free. You don't know how embarrassing it was to have BOTH the squeaky brakes PLUS the turn in clicking noise.

I have to give a shout out to Charlie Kim over at McKenna BMW. He notified me of the new brake pads and also took care of the clicking noise. If you are in SoCal don't hesitate to contact him because he WILL take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #69
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
I've been having the break squeak issue and the slow-turn metal clicking/knocking sound.
Took my car into Beverly Hills BMW for my squeaky brakes four times already and they have done nothing to fix it. I also took my car in to see if they would replace my bearings and they seem to be taking my advice with a grain of salt. They diagnosed it to my steering rack and replaced it, but I still have the exact same symptoms. I just may need to take it to McKenna.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #70
tven99
GOVNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M5, 05 P71, 15 SP CHLGR

I have this problem all the time when I'm doing city or slow traffic driving. I also have the same problem with the speakers rattling, though it does away after a while. The dealer says its normal (the break squeak) my friends GTR has the same problem but his is louder. It is something I have accepted to live with.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #71
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by method.man View Post
I just had my brake pads replaced with the newer version. I'm happy to report the brakes currently operate as they should, and the squeak is finally gone. I've had my car since January 2014 and the brakes have been squeaky since day one. I've complained multiple times to different dealerships whom all told me this was "normal". After over a year and 3 months I am finally squeak free. You don't know how embarrassing it was to have BOTH the squeaky brakes PLUS the turn in clicking noise.

I have to give a shout out to Charlie Kim over at McKenna BMW. He notified me of the new brake pads and also took care of the clicking noise. If you are in SoCal don't hesitate to contact him because he WILL take care of you.
Thanks a lot Mike!
      04-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #72
method.man
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
I've been having the break squeak issue and the slow-turn metal clicking/knocking sound.
Took my car into Beverly Hills BMW for my squeaky brakes four times already and they have done nothing to fix it. I also took my car in to see if they would replace my bearings and they seem to be taking my advice with a grain of salt. They diagnosed it to my steering rack and replaced it, but I still have the exact same symptoms. I just may need to take it to McKenna.

I had the same exact problems. Go see Charlie, he'll get your car fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #73
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
I just may need to take it to McKenna.
Sounds like you may need to bring it to me, make a trip and I'll make things happen.
      04-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #74
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Thanks Charlie! I will be in touch soon
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #75
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
*Pounding my head*

Here's a quick history, I purchased the car last year. I was noise free for a couple of months, then during my third or fourth month of owning the M5, I started noticing this annoying break squeal. I took it in for service and I was told that it is within its operational standard to expect some noise. They cleaned the break pads and sent me home. Months went on, I got pretty annoyed and to say the least embarrassed by the noise. I decided to take my car back in and this time around I was told that they performed some fix that may help with the noise. I was pretty excited, but after a day or two, the break squeal is back. I learned to live with it, my wife though was still annoyed that a $100k car squeals like some dingy beater.

Fast Forward, a couple of weeks ago I saw this thread. I have to say I was pretty excited to hear BMW finally released a SIB for a known and well documented issue. I scheduled my car and it went in last week, to my discuss my SA told me that the technician informed him that they had already performed this SIB or fix during the last time the car went in for the break squeal. WTF! The last time it was back in BMW for the break squeal was 5 to 6 months ago. I'm either late to the party or I call BS.

I see a handful of guys here had success with the SIB, can anyone shed some light on what was done to the car? Just wanted to have a baseline so I can have another conversation with my SA.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #76
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z View Post
I see a handful of guys here had success with the SIB, can anyone shed some light on what was done to the car? Just wanted to have a baseline so I can have another conversation with my SA.
What's up man I'm an SA over at McKenna BMW, to put things short, BMW released an updated version of the brake pads using different material and a somewhat different design. Ask your SA to have the newer brake pads installed, ALL dealerships should know about this, heck even the same week of hearing about the new SIB I contacted several clients with M5's and M6's to bring their vehicles in immediately.
      04-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #77
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Just got my car back from service yesterday they replaced both my front pads with the new ones and finally no more squeaking!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #78
IM///M6GC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB///M5
Just got my car back from service yesterday they replaced both my front pads with the new ones and finally no more squeaking!
Got the same thing done to my M6 GC. So far so good
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #79
smallgirl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Saphir Metallic F10 M5

Guys - will this SIB work for us poor guys up in the great white north? Nobody from BMW up here has got it contact with us yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #80
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

What about me as I'm out of warrentee but before it expired I bought the plat warr. Should they still replace?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #81
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
What's up man I'm an SA over at McKenna BMW, to put things short, BMW released an updated version of the brake pads using different material and a somewhat different design. Ask your SA to have the newer brake pads installed, ALL dealerships should know about this, heck even the same week of hearing about the new SIB I contacted several clients with M5's and M6's to bring their vehicles in immediately.
The dealer told me my '13 wasn't covered. Instead offered some clean out method which I rejected.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
The dealer told me my '13 wasn't covered. Instead offered some clean out method which I rejected.
Yeah that method is a temporary fix and not a permanent one...
      04-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #83
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I contacted BMW North Scottsdale about my 2013 M5 (Non Competition Pack model obviously), and this was the response from my service adviser:

Quote:
This is the response I received from my shop foreman.

Brake noise is not uncommon in these brakes but BMW will not let us replace unless they are worn below a specific thickness.

Sorry for the delay Brian:
The SIB referred to is for the later production vehicles already equipped with these “Competition” style pads. This began sometime in mid 2014 production. The pads in the customer’s vehicle are the standard “High-Performance” units. Yes…they do get noisy. In rare cases we have installed the later pads in earlier vehicles. The result is that most brake noise is diminished but some will still exist (might be less harsh at times). BMW warranty does not cover the retrofit. The pads can be installed at the customer’s expense. Part # 34 11 2 284 869.
The warranty rate of 12 Frus will apply.
I then asked:
So if my brake pads do wear down to replacement level, I can have the revised pads installed at no extra charge?
The brake pads/revised modification is for the front brakes only?
If I wanted to pay to have it done, what would the total cost be (broken out by parts & labor)?

Quote:
Interesting question: The replacement pads would be dictated by whatever EPC dictates for that VIN.
I believe there might be rears that match these….but I would need to do more research. In any regard we have never had the need to install them as we have never really duplicated any noises from the rear.
Labor….12 Frus….plus parts for the fronts. Have Parts give you a quote please.

Those front brake pads in questions run $593 and labor would be $300
Interesting price on the pads as GetBmwParts list the MSRP at $468.75

Does this all sounds right to you Charlie?

Last edited by ImpetuousRacer; 04-23-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #84
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
I contacted BMW North Scottsdale about my 2013 M5 (Non Competition Pack model obviously), and this was the response from my service adviser:

I then asked:
So if my brake pads do wear down to replacement level, I can have the revised pads installed at no extra charge?
The brake pads/revised modification is for the front brakes only?
If I wanted to pay to have it done, what would the total cost be (broken out by parts & labor)?

Interesting price on the pads as GetBmwParts list the MSRP at $468.75

Does this all sounds right to you Charlie?

Correct, the SIB is for cars already fitted with Part # 34 11 2 284 869 pads.
These are the ones with the balance weights.
These are the only ones that are now fitted on F10 M5 from the factory and if you have the pads changed at service with the dealer.

It is because some early pads had possible loose balance weights.
The SIB will not allow free changing of pre-balance weight pads to the new balance weight pads.

The new pads are the ones they will fit if your old pads are worn out, regardless of which pads you got from the factory.
      04-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #85
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I put up with the brake squeak for about 6 months now and I am finally fed up. My neighbors hear me coming home at night, and when I drop my daughter off at school in the morning it is constantly squealing. I called my SA today, and he said he would look into the SIB, but he has never heard of a fix for our cars. I am wondering how this is possible as their are plenty of ///M cars here in Florida and he is an SA at the largest dealer down here. I am very frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #86
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Charlie, thank you for your reply. Do you happen to have the part number for the newer break pads? So part of the SIB is to replace the break pads with the newer version?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #87
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z View Post
Charlie, thank you for your reply. Do you happen to have the part number for the newer break pads? So part of the SIB is to replace the break pads with the newer version?
Part # 34 11 2 284 869

The SIB is to fix possible loose balance weights on early Part # 34 11 2 284 869 pads.

The SIB will NOT replace the earlier pads that did not have balance weights with the new ones.
To get that free you have to have worn down the old ones and still be in warranty. Else you have to pay for the new ones.
      04-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #88
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Part # 34 11 2 284 869

The SIB is to fix possible loose balance weights on early Part # 34 11 2 284 869 pads.

The SIB will NOT replace the earlier pads that did not have balance weights with the new ones.
To get that free you have to have worn down the old ones and still be in warranty. Else you have to pay for the new ones.
Thank you, so the newer break pad's part number is 34 11 2 284 869? I'll check what I currently have on my car.
Appreciate 0